Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sometimes I feel like nothing has even happened

Hello everyone. I had my sleeve done on 3/30 so I’m about 2.5 weeks post op. The first week was all Clear Liquids and I stuck to that fine, I didn’t really have much hunger. I noticed toward the end of that week though that I had no issue meeting and even exceeding my surgeons Water recommendations - I should have 60oz and I can easily take in 80+ oz. I thought this was good for hydration.
Once full liquids and now puréed food has started though I am STARVING. And I never was before. I know the difference between head hunger (which I do have and fight) and actual hunger - this will have me in pain because my stomach is churning. Before surgery I would sometimes not have time to eat during the day and I would be fine - I was a big evening and weekend eater. I get in well over my water and Protein recommendations and am always still so hungry.
That also leads into the restriction. At my follow up appt they said I should be eating 2-3oz, 3x a day. I asked if that was what should be enough, or what I should stick to no matter what. She said stick to it, but I should feel like it’s enough. But it doesn’t! I can easily have 8-10oz of Soup or 3-4oz of purées without taking breaks or waiting - no tightness or discomfort like anyone else describes. I have only done it a few times to test it bc I know it’s bad and I shouldn’t - I need to manage the temptation.
But I’m starting to wonder why I even had this surgery done. So much prep and pain when I can seemingly still eat the same amount that I did before, and I’m actually more hungry now that I ever was. I don’t have any restriction at all.

First, congrats on your surgery. Second, it’s perfectly understandable to be confused & questioning what’s happening.

You’re right it’s not easy. It doesn’t matter how much you read or what you were told to expect it’s not the same as actually experiencing it for yourself. Plus while many of our experiences are similar there are also differences. These are some things I’ve learnt on the way. I hope they can help you or at least ease some of your concerns.

Try to stick to the recommended serving size. You are still healing & the smaller quantities reduce the stress on your healing tummy. Plus it also helps us come to terms with smaller portion sizes in general. Most of us ate portions that were way too big before surgery. You will be able to eat more as you progress.

Fluids tend to pass through our digestive system more quickly than solid foods. So if you are drinking as slowly as you’ve been advised your tummy likely will be emptying as you’re drinking more. I found depending on how sloppy your purées are you may have the same experience of not feeling full.

Try to avoid feeling the restriction. It’s an indication you’ve eaten too much (more than you need) or too quickly. The eating slowing recommendation is to allow the message to get from our tummy to our brain to tell us we’ve had enough. Many of us are used to eating to past full. We have to learn how to stop before we are full. One of my big learnings was the difference between wanting to eat & needing to eat. Do I need this bite or do I just want it.

The pain you feel that you think is hunger is likely too much acid in your tummy. Are you taking esomeprazole every day? For many of us our true hunger signals have changed. It does take time to recognise these new signals. For me I become restless & feel like something is wrong.

There’s a lot of new things to learn about your eating habits, what motivates you to eat, what are more nutrient dense foods, etc. Most of all you have to work out what it all means for you & discover what works for you to be at a weight you’re happy at & be able to live the life you want. It’s all worth it. The rewards are amazing.

Good luck.

12 hours ago, newyorklady20 said:

But I’m starting to wonder why I even had this surgery done.

Hi @newyorklady20, I don’t have any helpful advice (but I was grateful to read @arabesque’s answer). I just wanted to say *hugs* and I’m sorry it’s hard right now. We had surgery almost at the same time, and I’m in a remarkably similar situation, I’ve got all my crossable parts crossed that things will get easier for you. (And me!)

Does your doctor have you on a PPI? Sometimes excess stomach acid can cause that rumbly feeling and mistake it as hunger signals. Also, as you progress in to more solid foods you may feel your restriction more. Try choosing the most dense foods within the parameters set by your team. Ex: thick Greek yogurt will likely keep you more satisfied than think Soup, Jello, or applesauce.

12 hours ago, newyorklady20 said:

Hello everyone. I had my sleeve done on 3/30 so I’m about 2.5 weeks post op. The first week was all Clear Liquids and I stuck to that fine, I didn’t really have much hunger. I noticed toward the end of that week though that I had no issue meeting and even exceeding my surgeons Water recommendations - I should have 60oz and I can easily take in 80+ oz. I thought this was good for hydration.
Once full liquids and now puréed food has started though I am STARVING. And I never was before. I know the difference between head hunger (which I do have and fight) and actual hunger - this will have me in pain because my stomach is churning. Before surgery I would sometimes not have time to eat during the day and I would be fine - I was a big evening and weekend eater. I get in well over my Water and Protein recommendations and am always still so hungry.
That also leads into the restriction. At my follow up appt they said I should be eating 2-3oz, 3x a day. I asked if that was what should be enough, or what I should stick to no matter what. She said stick to it, but I should feel like it’s enough. But it doesn’t! I can easily have 8-10oz of Soup or 3-4oz of purées without taking breaks or waiting - no tightness or discomfort like anyone else describes. I have only done it a few times to test it bc I know it’s bad and I shouldn’t - I need to manage the temptation.
But I’m starting to wonder why I even had this surgery done. So much prep and pain when I can seemingly still eat the same amount that I did before, and I’m actually more hungry now that I ever was. I don’t have any restriction at all.

Once you get on real food you will notice the difference. I also was not restricted on those phases or so I felt. When you get to actually eat gain that when you will be able to tell that you are restricted I believe.