Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frequent tummy issues

Ok so my drs keep ordering tests and the tests keep coming back showing no issue. But here is what’s going on:

every time I eat solid food (except for scrambled egg whites, cheese, or potatoes) I end up with almost immediate diarrhea and cramping (meat being the worst culprit but other foods causing it too). I also keep getting pains that feel like someone is roughly folding my stomach (folding not twisting). I’m chewing my food thoroughly, not eating stuff high in fat or carbs (only started eating potatoes because of this issue). I have tried everything from ground turkey, to chicken thighs, to plain boiled chicken, even boca burgers.

But this has been going on for a month now. With my job I’m burning 2.5k to 3k calories a day but I’m lucky if I can consume 800. Did any one else have anything like this? I’m 1 year post op.

I've been dealing with continuous, intermittent nausea, cramping, and diarrhea for over a year and a half. My surgeon couldn't find anything wrong after performing his regular tests so he referred me to a gastroenterologist. I was surprised at how thorough the gastroenterologist was in taking my history, and then ordering a much more comprehensive series of blood tests and other tests, including a colonoscopy.

I've now been prescribed an anti-cramping agent, Bentyl (these symptoms could be occurring because of vagus nerve issues) and also was offered the option of Librax (a combination anti-spasmotic/sedative) but Librax is super-expensive (about $300/mo on average) and Bentyl is $13. (I didn't have insurance to cover those). I also take a sedative (xanax) in the rare times the cramping becomes too painful and won't abate.

I can say that over the past couple of weeks, my symptoms have improved.

4 minutes ago, Prestonandme said:

I've been dealing with continuous, intermittent nausea, cramping, and diarrhea for over a year and a half. My surgeon couldn't find anything wrong after performing his regular tests so he referred me to a gastroenterologist. I was surprised at how thorough the gastroenterologist was in taking my history, and then ordering a much more comprehensive series of blood tests and other tests, including a colonoscopy.

I've now been prescribed an anti-cramping agent, Bentyl (these symptoms could be occurring because of vagus nerve issues) and also was offered the option of Librax (a combination anti-spasmotic/sedative) but Librax is super-expensive (about $300/mo on average) and Bentyl is $13. (I didn't have insurance to cover those). I also take a sedative (xanax) in the rare times the cramping becomes too painful and won't abate.

Did they find out what the issue was?

1 hour ago, skyewolfe said:

Did they find out what the issue was?

No, not entirely. The gastroenterologist hypothesizes that during surgery, when my vagus nerve was re-sectioned at the gastrointestinal level, it might have provoked these symptoms to occur. The fact that they are subdued by xanax (a calming sedative) show there may be a brain/gut connection such as the vagus nerve that's causing these disorders.

I am 13 months post rny. My stomach pains started back in November and increasingly got worse along with nausea as the months moved along. I had a barium swallow test in January. All normal . only thing it showed was liquids move through my pouch incredibly fast. I was hospitalized in February. Had a CT scan, normal. Labs normal. Pain increased to almost constant and daily to the point it felt like a blow torch inside my stomach and I felt like I was being stabbed and my organs ripped out. I was hospitalized again just last weekend. Had an EGD Tuesday, again normal. And saw the gastrointerologist yesterday. He prescribed linzess for IBS-C which was in addition to the Robaxin, zofran, protonix and malox prescribed last weekend. Gastro stated stress/anxiety/increased depression could be triggering the stomach issues. But I have been in a sort of remission from severe IBS-D for 10 years. So he's going to compare my CT next week with February for any changes and in 2-3 weeks add buspirone which acts on the gut and anxiety. And is waiting on records from colonoscopy 3 years ago before ordering a new one. So more waiting to see. But if all else fails, exploratory laproscopic surgery may be in the near future due to my prior issues with adhesions.

41 minutes ago, Highly.undermedicated said:

But I have been in a sort of remission from severe IBS-D for 10 years.

Interesting... Same here. I had very severe IBS-D for most of my adult life, but it ceased abruptly ten years ago when I was prescribed an SSRI. Post-surgery, the nausea, cramping, and frequent bathroom visits resumed, although I am still taking the SSRI.

When I had the IBS-D, I ended up in the ER about three times a year when the pain was unbearable, and I was administered dilaudid. Since surgery, I haven't experienced that level of pain, but am dealing with the other symptoms which come and go without explanation.

I hope they figure out what is causing you so much discomfort and can treat it.

On 4/15/2021 at 4:18 PM, Prestonandme said:

Thank you for suggesting the bentyl. Last night I was able to eat solid food again for the first time in over a month. And I ate real food again for lunch today! I knew not eating real food was effecting me in many ways, but I didn’t realize how bad until today when I realized I had more energy and my mood was improved. I won’t lie I kinda want to cry from happiness because I can eat again. I actually over ate last night because of how excited I was lol. Kinda forgot my tummy probably shrunk a little because of how little I was eating lmao. Thank you again!