Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello. I’ve noticed I’m getting into a habit of grazing, especially if my stomach doesn’t cooperate during meal time. I’ll find myself taking a few bites of my food an hour later... a few more bites an hour later... and so on. So then I’m not really hungry at meal times. I feel like this isn’t how I should be eating, but I’m not really sure. What has everyone else experienced? I’m 4 weeks post op.

I’m a grazer, and I am 2.5+ years post op. I’m eating something or other every couple hours from my first meal around noon (i’ve never been a morning eater) to about 7-8pm (I stop here to avoid nighttime reflux). Been eating like this since Day 1, it works just fine for me.

If I stuck to only 2-3 “meals” a day, I wouldn’t be able to get enough calories in....

I figure if its not working, then change it up (if u can), otherwise why fix what ain’t broke?

Edited by ms.sss

I'm another grazer. I eat 6 mini-meals in a day. I start with my morning latte and I'm eating every 2 hours until about 6 (I'm not much of a night eater and I go to bed early).

I’m 23 months out & I eat three meals & 3-4 Snacks a day ( mid morning, mid afternoon, after dinner) also just to get the calories in to maintain & meet Protein goals. The snacks are protein rich & fruit.

While I was losing it was much the same but fewer snacks: three meals & a snack (tub yoghurt) in the afternoon. If I had drinking yoghurt, which I sipped on for hours during the afternoon, I’d add some fruit as a snack instead. Of course the serving sizes were small.

Though at about a month out from surgery like you are, I was only eating three times a day & that’s all. I’m one of those who weren’t hungry or interested in food for ages so I had to eat to the clock otherwise I wouldn’t have eaten. Even though I now can feel hungry, I still eat very much to a routine to avoid that old negative bad for me mindless grazing. I try to eat mindfully now.

Others will have different experiences & different routines but it really is a matter of discovering what works for you. There isn’t one completely right way of doing this.

Good luck.

13 hours ago, Jnfinney said:

Hello. I’ve noticed I’m getting into a habit of grazing, especially if my stomach doesn’t cooperate during meal time. I’ll find myself taking a few bites of my food an hour later... a few more bites an hour later... and so on. So then I’m not really hungry at meal times. I feel like this isn’t how I should be eating, but I’m not really sure. What has everyone else experienced? I’m 4 weeks post op.

There is nothing wrong with finishing a meal through the day as long as you are not snacking outside of that meal. I truly believe that was part of the reason I made goal that first year. The sleeve is a lot more restrictive so you wont be able to finish the amount weighed out to eat, so I would go back when I was hungry and eat on that meal. I normally would finish Breakfast. It was lunch and dinner that I would not be able to finish. So I really wasnt going over calories doing it this way either. Good luck

Thanks for all your thoughts. I am looking to start therapy to help with my relationship with food, because I don't think I'm eating out of hunger and I don't want old habits to die hard. I don't eat a lot at meal time, but I feel like I'm eating a lot throughout the day. I'm also more of a mid-morning and afternoon eater than I am a night eater. I really can't eat much for supper, either.

2 minutes ago, Jnfinney said:

Thanks for all your thoughts. I am looking to start therapy to help with my relationship with food, because I don't think I'm eating out of hunger and I don't want old habits to die hard. I don't eat a lot at meal time, but I feel like I'm eating a lot throughout the day. I'm also more of a mid-morning and afternoon eater than I am a night eater. I really can't eat much for supper, either.

Ah... I just realized you are not even a month out. In my first 3 months i didn't eat out of hunger like 90% of the time. I ate because my timer went off. Usually, (from what I've read around here), how you are eating in the first few weeks (or months for some) is not indicative of how you will always eat.

...but going to a therapist is always a good idea.

Good Luck! ❤️

I'm about 6 weeks out, and I'm eating on a timer because I don't feel hungry yet. I'm trying to eat 3 meals and 2 Snacks but I'm not always getting it. Last night though... I was snacky. I recognized that I wasn't hungry, I just wanted something to munch on like I would have before so I tried to just drink my Water. I don't want to fall back into bad habits of eating out of boredom.

I think that is kind of what I have been doing, @njlimmer. I want to get myself into a routine, but sometimes food just doesn't sit well at meal time so I find myself picking at things during the day.

I asked the same question from my nutritionist and the Dr. Basically : Eating your meal over hours or thru out the day is not grazing. As long as your eating your daily intake , all is fine. Grazing is eating other foods or Snacks not in your daily meal plan.

I posted this elsewhere but I’m hoping I can get some help here as I’m new to the app..

Hi all! I’m in a bit of a panic, I’m 5 weeks post op, my starting weight was 274lbs. My op weight was 268lbs. At 3weeks post op my weight was 236lbs and somehow my weight since I started purées then eventually solids has been on a steady incline(I’m now at 250lbs🥺) . It’s really disheartening. I’m honestly not sure if I’m not eating properly or whether something else might be wrong. I did have my TOM mid week 4 so I thought it might be hormonal and that I’m retaining Water but nothing seems to be changing.

I drink 2.5l of water a day . I eat less than 700cal a day. I get 70g of Protein in , 15g of carbs and about 10g of fat in total a day. Do I have my quantities wrong? My nutritionist hasn’t been very helpful.

Please can someone offer some advice.

@sleeviewonder2021 that sounds extremely frustrating and I am sorry to hear that. I think I am too early out (4 weeks post op) to offer any real advice. I will ask this - are you sure you are counting calories correctly? Other than that, my best advice is to contact your dietician and/or surgeon and discuss this with them. After all, they are the professionals.

Sorry I couldn't be much help, but hang in there! It will all work out!

@jnfinney thank you , I will do that and see how far I get. We’re at similar stages.. I hope your recovery is going well x

On 04/14/2021 at 20:59, Jnfinney said:

@sleeviewonder2021 that sounds extremely frustrating and I am sorry to hear that. I think I am too early out (4 weeks post op) to offer any real advice. I will ask this - are you sure you are counting calories correctly? Other than that, my best advice is to contact your dietician and/or surgeon and discuss this with them. After all, they are the professionals.

Sorry I couldn't be much help, but hang in there! It will all work out!

thank you , I will do that and see how far I get. We’re at similar stages.. I hope your recovery is going well x

9 hours ago, Jnfinney said:

I think that is kind of what I have been doing, @njlimmer. I want to get myself into a routine, but sometimes food just doesn't sit well at meal time so I find myself picking at things during the day.

I’m with you on this too. My nutritionist said my primary goals early on is Protein intake and hydration. I wouldn’t stress about what intervals you’ are getting each right now, just that you are. Good luck!