Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band Experience

I just want to share my experience with the Lap-Band. I had it put in in 2014 and removed in 2019. I had horrendous reflux, I was constantly clearing my throat, and I gained back almost every pound I initially lost. I had it filled, completely emptied to “start fresh” and give my esophagus a break from constant vomiting, and then filled again. My Bariatric surgeon told me how unusual it was for someone to return for a fill after 4 years with the band. What he did not tell me was at that point HE knew, as well as the rest of the Bariatric community, that the Lap-Band had been considered a medical failure. Very few surgeons will put them in. I did some research, figured the truth out for myself, and went to see a new Bariatric surgeon to remove it. Initially I felt like I failed the lap-band but now I feel it’s more likely that the Lap-Band failed me. I’m very happy some have had great success with theirs. I do believe it works for some. To those who have had bad experience with the band, it’s not your fault. Best of luck to all.

Thank you for your words and sharing your experience. I had my lap band fail and the Physician’s assistant basically told me it was because I wasn’t following the “protocols.” ... my band slipped when I got broccoli stuck.

your experience is common. A lot of people (maybe most?) have had them removed and have revised to sleeve or bypass.

I had mine for 10+ years and I lost about 80 pounds and mainly kept it all off but THE REFLUX after maybe 6.5 years of having it. Ugh. Crazy-bad. And it slipped once, which was just God awful. And I am pretty sure it was the cause of my hiatal hernia, which needed a MAJOR repair.

I also know of several people who had enough of a food addiction that they were easily able to 'out-smart' the band. That being said, I thing until the addiction is addressed for these people, ANY WLS will ultimately end up as a failure...

But, back in 2009, I was unwilling to get a bypass and VSG didn't really seem to be a 'thing' as far as I knew. At least that option was not offered to me.

My surgeon tells me there are a several patients in his practice who absolutely love their band, even when it is giving them the same kind of problems I had with it and will not even consider removing/revision. So...go figure! Whatever works I guess

I wish there was a study on WLS failures. Where everyone would be honest about what they did and didn't do to contribute to the outcome of their WLS (band, sleeve, GB, MGB, DS.. etc) whether good or bad.

I know when I had my band place in 2009 band and BP were my two options. My bmi was 42+ at 5'2" 232lbs. Sleeve was the "new" wls and not much was known. I did however work with about 200-300 women for a huge corporation and I saw firsthand some of the successes and failures in some. My journey began with my co-worker and friend got the band. She did an amazing job and I thought this is for me. I had also seen a few that had GB and didn't want to go that route. I also had a few friends and a cousin that did GB and I saw their struggles. In fact, they have all gained their weight back. Now my friend Paula, was not a very compliant bandster, but her wife was (wife and I got the band the same day). The wife lost and did a great job. She still has her band. Paula doesn't. Paula also learned to eat around it and gained, then blamed the band for not working. She then revised to the sleeve, I don't think she has lost a pound with the sleeve (we are still great friends). My friend Tami at the time was the only person i know that had had the sleeve done back in 2008. She did an amazing job but is now about the same size she was when she started. What I'm getting at..... is all of the WLS have risks of "not working"........ but they all have the "ability" to work if worked properly.

I'm new to the sleeve (8/28/19) I had my band from 2009-2017. I know that the stress of going through a divorce and the fact that I got a very bad case of a stomach virus caused my slip. Up to that day, I never had a day's problem. I never go reflex at all. I of course got stuck a few times, but once I got stuck on something, I didn't eat it again. I maintained my weight of 143lbs. At the time I thought I didn't need another WLS and that surely I learned how to eat and I could just eat like I was with the band..........I WAS WRONG.... with the band completely gone it was HELL.... I was so hungry all the time. I gradually re-entered bad foods that I could not eat with the band. I was back on the sugar train, and the carb train... and over the next 2.5 years I put back 30lbs. I was so disappointed in myself, depression was really bad, and I also started menopause. A few times over the years I thought to revise, but no one would because I "didn't weigh enough". So if I were to do anything, it would have to be cash. I started looking into Mex... and had decided I would go there. But I still didn't have the money. $9500 was not just sitting in my bank account....... As luck would have it, in May 2019 my divorce property settlement was done. I also found a dr. here 10 min from my work.... Yes, it was 14k, I figured I'd pay the extra to be right here..... So I took 14k of that money and invested it in me. That day I was 173lbs..... Today I'm steady at 120-123lbs..... Praying that God keeps giving me the strength to keep going and keep being healthy. In July I will be 53 and feel I'm in the best shape and health of my life......

BG (Chris)

1 hour ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

What I'm getting at..... is all of the WLS have risks of "not working"........ but they all have the "ability" to work if worked properly.

It's true that any weight loss surgery has the potential to work, but that doesn't mean that they are all equally good options. There's a reason most bariatric surgeons no longer offer the Lap Band.

Although gastric banding was a promising treatment for obesity, its high long-term complications and significant failure rate have caused a significant decrease in LAGB insertions.7 This trend is also seen at our institution, where LAGB has been essentially abandoned. With this decline in band insertion comes a steep increase in LAGB removals. At our institution, the rate of band removals increased from 1 per year to more than 50 per year within a 7-year period (Fig. 1). The literature supports this trend.1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7006354/

20 hours ago, ColoRad Gal said:

I just want to share my experience with the Lap-Band. I had it put in in 2014 and removed in 2019. I had horrendous reflux, I was constantly clearing my throat, and I gained back almost every pound I initially lost. I had it filled, completely emptied to “start fresh” and give my esophagus a break from constant vomiting, and then filled again. My Bariatric surgeon told me how unusual it was for someone to return for a fill after 4 years with the band. What he did not tell me was at that point HE knew, as well as the rest of the Bariatric community, that the Lap-Band had been considered a medical failure. Very few surgeons will put them in. I did some research, figured the truth out for myself, and went to see a new Bariatric surgeon to remove it. Initially I felt like I failed the lap-band but now I feel it’s more likely that the Lap-Band failed me. I’m very happy some have had great success with theirs. I do believe it works for some. To those who have had bad experience with the band, it’s not your fault. Best of luck to all.

That Band is straight from the Gates of Hell I tell ya! I so wish I had gotten that God forsaken thing taken out a long time ago. For anyone that has it and it is still working for you...Congrats! I hated that damn thing. Love the sleeve surgery!

I had my band placed around ten years ago. It has worked perfectly. Absolutely no issues, and the weight loss has been satisfactory. Only around 8% of gastric bands have been removed. Surgical procedures have improved. I am happy with my decision.

14 minutes ago, labwalker said:

I had my band placed around ten years ago. It has worked perfectly. Absolutely no issues, and the weight loss has been satisfactory. Only around 8% of gastric bands have been removed. Surgical procedures have improved. I am happy with my decision.

Glad it is working for you. My surgeon told me it had failed in a very high % of patients. All have not had revision or removed. For me I am just glad to be rid of the dadgum thing. Congrats on your success and continued weight loss.