Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 years out and gained during covid year

I am five years out and did fine till “covid” year. I gained 5 lbs and it scared me...lost it by going back to no unhealthy carbs and increased exercise.
I have lost the mindset I have had since then...since surgery really. I gained the 5 back plus 10 more in the past 13 months! I am ashamed and scared. I want my weight-loss mindset back..the one where I couldn’t imagine eating “white carbs” ever again. I am depressed.

Are there any tele support groups you could go to? Is your practice's nutritionist offering telemed? Perhaps either or both of these could help you get back to your "weight-loss mindset".

The fact that you lost that 5 pounds says to me that you have nothing to be ashamed of. But something to be proud about. You know what you're doing. You could just use a bit of encouragement.

Edited by Postop

i feel you! im out 3 years gained 20-25 pounds during covid.... i was so upset with myself as well... beyond upset! , so I called my surgeon and set up a meeting on zoom... I then explained myself. I know the carbs are what got me and less exercising during covid times. I was doing fine before that. So now I have been working really hard to lose the weight and get back on track the past 2 months and he wants me to do HIIT excessing 4-5 days a week. I have lost 10 so far but I was also put on phentramine to help but thats only short term ( 30 days to start) That seems to be helping me as well with my snacking. Just being honest here. Its so easy to get off track... I did and it scared me. I am feeling better but still need to loose a lot more in general . First i want to start with losing the weight I gained, then continue to work to my goal. Just call your doctor and keep your carbs low. I was told to stay under 50 carbs to maintain and under 30 carbs to lose. and to lose keep calories at 1200 a day. Now this is just what my doctors are telling me because they know I want to get this weight off aggressively. So call your surgeon and they will guide you and put you back on track. I felt exactly like you at first but now im feeling better not great but better than I was. I just want this weight gone! hope this helps.

I know exactly where you are. It's a sucky place to be, and you get into a lot of self blame and shame. I am preparing for surgery to happen in less than a month, and I have been reading lots of books. They seem to help give me the motivational kick needed to follow the "habits" or "rules" or whatever is needed to keep the weight off. I also find that when I keep a food diary, I do better.

Best of luck and wishes to you.