Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on May 4. After 4 days the nausea subsided make sure you take the zofran and if the offer additional nausea meds while your stay in the hospital get them. They also gave a a patch that goes behind your ear that is good for 3 days for nausea.As for pain they did give me norcos but I don't like taking them. Fyi they do contribute to nausea so i just took extra strength tylenol for about 3 days after surgery. I do on occasion have incision pain but an ice pack works fine. As for preop diet they didn't put me on a full liquid diet. It was more of a high Protein low carb diet and it worked I did lose 10lbs in 1 week. If i can ill post diet as attachment. Well good luck to everyone and hope all have a speedy recovery.

Screenshot_20210511-081906(1).png

On 4/30/2021 at 8:03 AM, pk88 said:

Hi all. I'm having surgery May 12th and am on day 4 of my pre-op. Other than some intermittent brain fog, I'm doing well on it and losing quite a lot of weight in the process. It's nice having others who're navigating the same or similar territory and I wish you all the best!

Sending you good thoughts for a quick recovery. I'm right behind you. surgery tomorrow.

I have found that this process so far is truly mental and can be draining at times. I have gotten to the point on the pre-op diet where I’m not really hungry even for the Protein Shakes I just have cravings and smells get to me. Someone next door to me started their bbq grill and I about lost my mind lol. I have learned this far to respect food and not abuse it.

On 4/30/2021 at 9:03 AM, pk88 said:

Hi all. I'm having surgery May 12th and am on day 4 of my pre-op. Other than some intermittent brain fog, I'm doing well on it and losing quite a lot of weight in the process. It's nice having others who're navigating the same or similar territory and I wish you all the best!

How did the procedure go today? Are you adjusting well?

13 minutes ago, NewStartvsg said:

I have found that this process so far is truly mental and can be draining at times. I have gotten to the point on the pre-op diet where I’m not really hungry even for the Protein Shakes I just have cravings and smells get to me. Someone next door to me started their bbq grill and I about lost my mind lol. I have learned this far to respect food and not abuse it.

Funny you said that about it being a mental thing and not being hungry. SO TRUE!! Today is day 5 for me of my liquid diet and here I am, 10pm and I only had 1 Protein Shake and 1 cup of veggies for the day. Supposed to have 4 of each. SMH Just not hungry. And FINALLY, no headaches today. So that's a plus.

53 minutes ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

Funny you said that about it being a mental thing and not being hungry. SO TRUE!! Today is day 5 for me of my liquid diet and here I am, 10pm and I only had 1 Protein Shake and 1 cup of veggies for the day. Supposed to have 4 of each. SMH Just not hungry. And FINALLY, no headaches today. So that's a plus.

All of this!! ⬆️ I made my daughter a grilled cheese and the smell was amazing. I wasn't even hungry. I feel your pain!!

11 hours ago, NewStartvsg said:

How did the procedure go today? Are you adjusting well?

My surgery went really well. No nausea or vomiting yay! The surgeon repaired a 3 inch hiatal hernia as well as the VSG. Other that some pain where my drain is in my belly I’m doing great. I was up walking within a few hours of surgery... very slowly but helps move the gas around.

best wishes everyone and thank you so much for your well wishes. 🙏🏼

I am 10 days post op. The first week was challenging for me me because if nausea, but I am doing much better. I am still on liquids, but I start pureed foods this weekend—I have never been so excited for mashed potatoes! I am still tired and a little “weak” but I am only getting around 300 -400 calories a day. I got on the scale today, and I was shocked that I have lost 25 lbs since my pre-op liquid diet weight!! I am back in the 100s—overjoyed that I finally feel this was worth it! 🥰

Just checking in, thought I'd share my experience thus far...

RNY surgery with hiatal hernia repair was May 11 at 1pm. I don't recall waking up until about 8pm... then the next thing I know it's 6am May 12.

I was very tired/sleepy throughout May 12. My foley catheter was removed about 10am May 12 and I was waking and getting up to pee about every hour and a half. Apparently, the Fluid drip I was on was quite a lot. I managed to eat a sugar-free popsicle, have a few bites of sugar-free Jello, and a few sips of broth that day. My belly felt like I'd done a 1000 sit-ups! I was able to walk the hall about three times. Received dilaudid once and norco three times throughout the day. Also had an upper GI done: drank a little contrast while they took pictures... all good, no leaks. sleep, sleep, sleep.

May 13 I woke still feeling woozy, tired, and belly was still painful, but not too bad if I didn't move. Felt slightly more awake as the day went on. Had a SF popsicle and some SF jello. Still peeing every hour and a half! Went home about 1pm. Slept through most of the day, waking only for bathroom use and sips of clear Protein Drink (Protein2O from Costco.) Took total of four doses of norco throughout the whole day and managed a BM in the evening.

Today, May 14, I feel alive again! Sipping Isopure coconut-flavored Protein Water with Crystal Light lemonade added, not bad. Took a norco this morning but that will likely be my last one. Belly only feels like I did 100 sit-ups now instead of 1000. Been wearing a "binder" since May 12 and have decided to wear it for at least the first week, though I was given no instructions about it.

A few other comments about my journey thus far: have been using infant's simethicone antigas drops every six hours as instructed. Occasionally pass gas, occasionally burp. NO nausea at all during this entire experience, YAY! Was asked by the curious Nurse Practitioner if I drink alcohol much (I don't) because the anesthetic had such a surprisingly long effect on me. Apparently my body just isn't used to depressants and didn't clear it very quickly. And I'm not too worried about getting in an appropriate amount of liquids yet because just one look at my hands shows that I'm still full of the IV fluids they were pumping into me, LOL.

Feeling optimistic!!

(EDIT: Don't know why that QUOTE box is there at the beginning of my post.)

Edited by GingersnapMI

Soooooooo definitely slipped up on this pre-op liquid diet. I made it through a week and a half or more. My apt is on May 18th, but on May 15th I had popcorn. I hope that doesn’t throw off everything.. right now I’m down 25 plus pounds in the past 3 weeks.

Scheduled for 31 May, revision from band (placed in 2004) to mini gastric bypass.

Started my pre-op diet this morning. It's going to be a rough two weeks, but I am ready!!

7 hours ago, katevee said:

Scheduled for 31 May, revision from band (placed in 2004) to mini gastric bypass.

Started my pre-op diet this morning. It's going to be a rough two weeks, but I am ready!!

What is a mini gastric bypass? I’m going from band to bypass on the 19th. Good luck!

Hi all, new here!

Wish I found this before I had surgery.

I had my RNY done at a military hospital, an they are crazy full, so my first surgery date of April 6th was canceled due to lack of beds, it was quite frustrating, but I just told myself if the hospital is full of Covid patients, I would rather not be there.

But, I had my surgery May 6th along with ventral hernia repair. I was not the typical patient it seems. The anesthesia kept me quite out for a very long time, I don't even recall when I woke, but my surgery was about 8 AM and the first time I have clear memories of being awake was 3 AM the following morning.

On top of that I developed a large blood clot in my new little pouch. It kept me nauseated for a day and nothing helped. As my stomach was already full, every time I tried to sip at something I just threw it back up. It lasted about 24 hours until I violently expelled it all. It was gross, like something out of a horror movie.

The nurse in charge of my care that day told me he'd not seen anything like it, then told me how the surgeon and he thought it interesting enough to poke at the clot before disposing of it... ewe! So I guess it's a rare thing as the Army hospital I had mine done at does a lot of bariatric surgery.

Once my stomach was clear however recovery was on track. I had already been up and walking, and peeing eve when I had the clot. I was able to progress from clear liquid to full liquid that day. Though I was kept for observation and repeat labs the next day to ensure there was no more clotting.

Everything looked good and I was sent home on the 9th in the evening. Happy Mother's day. >_<

I am currently still on full liquid diet, have zero appetite, though when my son cooks up something yummy I do wish I could join in in eating, but it does not make me hungry. I have two adult sons who love to cook.

The weight is falling off daily, since I have been home from the hospital I went from 231 on the 9th to 216 today. Pain is still constant but not too intense, energy is low as I do not really take in more than 500 calories a day and unfortunately I was unlucky enough to have the entire lower part of my stomach turn into one large bruise, which is finally lightening.

Over all it was not too bad, though the moment I woke I had instant regrets, but that is because those first few hours were just miserable. I am absolutely pleased now and am amped for healing and recovery to be over and just getting on with life!