Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Travelling from Canada to Mexico during Covid

Hello,

I am looking at scheduling my revision surgery. I will be travelling from Canada to Mexico and wanted to get some feedback from those that have done so recently during the pandemic and really recently with the mandatory 3 day hotel quarantine when you re enter Canada prior to continuing home for the rest of isolation? Any issues, what 'protein' did you bring. Anything hidden surprises or things you wished you had known.

I am feeling comfortable with my decision for a revision and the Doctor but I am getting stressed about the added complications of the travel and the costs.

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I

Hi

Well I have booked my surgery for next month so it looks like I will be spending an additional 3 nights in a quarantine hotel, then have to take another flight to get all the way home. I am not looking forward to this delay, the extra cost or the additional 10 days quarantine once I arrive home.

That being said since it is so uncertain when things will improve and remain I did not want to delay longer. Definitely adds another layer of stress onto the situation.

Will you be moving forward with your surgery??!!

I don't know what to do..I'm scared to stay 3 days in the hotel.Saw a report in wich people said they had to wait more than 24 hours for their food and Water. that can be fatal after an operation

My revision surgery was canceled in Canada two days ago due to Covid and like you, I just can't wait any longer. I am half vaccinated though.

Could you kindly tell me which surgeon you chose and why? I would really appreciate any feedback 🙏🙏

On 4/8/2021 at 4:19 PM, Charlie2018 said:

Hello,

I am looking at scheduling my revision surgery. I will be travelling from Canada to Mexico

Hey, WLS is covered by Canadian health care. Any reason why you're getting it done in Mexico?!

The fact that an immediate family member has been eligible and on the list for 3.5 years now... they advise you themselves that you should anticipate 2-3 years and this was pre-Covid.

Edited by VanTru

17 minutes ago, VanTru said:

On 4/8/2021 at 3:19 PM, Charlie2018 said:

I

I know someone is on waiting list for 8 years .

Edited by Lilek

41 minutes ago, VanTru said:

The fact that an immediate family member has been eligible and on the list for 3.5 years now... they advise you themselves that you should anticipate 2-3 years and this was pre-Covid.

Wow that's a long time. Is it the case cuz it's a revision surgery?!

Cuz usually it's about 9 to 12 months wait for first time WLS!

11 hours ago, VanTru said:

My revision surgery was canceled in Canada two days ago due to Covid and like you, I just can't wait any longer. I am half vaccinated though.

Could you kindly tell me which surgeon you chose and why? I would really appreciate any feedback 🙏🙏

I will be going to Limarp in Mexico with Dr. Pompa. I had my original surgery there and they were great to deal with, highly recommend!

11 hours ago, DaisyAndSunshine said:

Hey, WLS is covered by Canadian health care. Any reason why you're getting it done in Mexico? !

As mentioned the wait list time is unreal. Once I started to look into it and chat with some people that had it in Mexico I decided it was a better alternative. No matter what in Canada you would be waiting years. At this point I also would. To qualify I don’t think for it to be covered here due to a lower BMi even though I am still in the obese category.

18 hours ago, Lilek said:

I don't know what to do..I'm scared to stay 3 days in the hotel.Saw a report in wich people said they had to wait more than 24 hours for their food and Water. that can be fatal after an operation

Which Canadian port will you be quarantine at? I asked my doctor about what I will need for my 3 day quarantine stay as I was worried about this as well and they said just Protein Powder, Water and broth which I will have with me so will not need to rely on the hotel except for bottled water. Made me feel way better. I bought broth that comes in the form of a tea bag type so can just add to hot water. I have a mini hand mixer to add the Protein powder to.

1 hour ago, Charlie2018 said:

I will be going to Limarp in Mexico with Dr. Pompa. I had my original surgery there and they were great to deal with, highly recommend!

Thank you!! I had heard of him.

what is the pre-surgery diet like for him? Two weeks liquid+250calories in veggies?

My problem is I need this done in the next two weeks due to life circumstances (kind of now or never) and my own surgery was cancelled here, otherwise I'm fully ready. I was thinking about continuing my liquid pre-surgery until I get a chance to speak with him and the other surgeon I'm considering so that won't be an impediment at least.

Any advice there?

Edited by VanTru

1 hour ago, Charlie2018 said:

Which Canadian port will you be quarantine at? I asked my doctor about what I will need for my 3 day quarantine stay as I was worried about this as well and they said just Protein Powder, Water and broth which I will have with me so will not need to rely on the hotel except for bottled Water. Made me feel way better. I bought broth that comes in the form of a tea bag type so can just add to hot water. I have a mini hand mixer to add the Protein powder to.

I think it's Calgary or Vancouver..Can you please tell me the name of the tea bag broth please??that is a good idea!!

14 minutes ago, VanTru said:

Thank you!! I had heard of him.

what is the pre-surgery diet like for him? Two weeks liquid+250calories in veggies?

My problem is I need this done in the next two weeks due to life circumstances (kind of now or never) and my own surgery was cancelled here, otherwise I'm fully ready. I was thinking about continuing my liquid pre-surgery until I get a chance to speak with him and the other surgeon I'm considering so that won't be an impediment at least.

Any advice there?

I decided to go with https://instagram.com/dr.jalil_illan?igshid=zl1ic1vdlnmb He has really good reviews...