Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I violate thermodynamics and it's crap

I'm so absurdly furious about all these people who are like "yeah I got a procedure and lost 10 pounds immediately." I *hate* how I look. I am adhering so pristinely to this diet after ESG that I could be a monk. And yet, not a single damn pound lost. Not one! THIS IS NOT EVEN FAIR. When do I get to look okay? When do I get results? Do I magically break physics? What the hell is wrong with me?! Am I just one of those magic people like PCOS folks whose bodies can survive on like 500 cal/day and still be fat? Bodies are awful, and I hate mine.

Hi Miratia. It sucks that you haven't lost any weight yet! I know how frustrating that feeling is when you are doing everything you can and it seems like nothing is working. And as much as I like this forum, sometimes it just sucks seeing how much others are losing. But I've also heard from other people here who didn't lose right away or lost slowly and still met their goals. To help myself remain calm and focused on my many stalls, I picked a date 6 months in the future and told myself I would not beat myself up about weight loss or lack of it until then no matter what. I know that if I stick to the plan I HAVE to be closer to my goal by then. Forget thinking that this is an instant fix because if you don't, your frustration might let you give up. And that would suck more.

On another note, your procedure (ESG) seems really cool. I didn't even know it was a thing. I researched it after I read your post. So you don't have any incisions? I'm curious if there are other veterans of that procedure who could weigh in on the typical weight loss and provide you with some reassurance. I feel like most of the veterans here who are super active had the VSG or bypass. I did scan the ESG forum and it does seem like the weight loss is slightly less than VSG. So make sure you are not comparing yourself to someone who had a different procedure and different stats.

But I haven't lost *anything*! It's not a stall, it's "nothing happened" >

How far post op are you? What was your surgery weight?
Keep track of your body measurements ... they sometimes change even when the scale doesn't?

Sent from my SM-N975F using BariatricPal mobile app

Haven't had the surgery yet but this is one of my biggest fears. That I will be one of those "freaks" or "flukes" who gets the surgery but then STILL CANNOT LOSE weight!! I feel for you. I don't have any advice but I do see many people on here saying that the beginning is like that for many reasons. Maybe one of them will comment. Hang in there!! I'm sure things will move for you soon.

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

2 minutes ago, Miratia said:

Ah, I hope I didn't scare you too much!

Not at all. I'm still excited to get mine done. Will take it one day at a time after that.

49 minutes ago, Miratia said:

2.5 weeks post-op. Surgery weight 260. Height 5'4". scale is identical.

I admit I don't know my tape measurements from pre-op.

I was 262 at surgery so about the same ( although I'm a little taller sa bmi slightly less)

I'm not a speedy looser !

2.5 weeks is still early enough to be holding in some of those iv fluids they pump into you in the hospital. Plenty of people In these forums actually have recorded a TEMPORARY GAIN in weight post op. Also at 2.5 weeks your stomach tissues etc may still be swollen

Swollen tissues hang onto fluids

So effectively what you're looking is probably cancelled out (TEMPORARILY!) by the fluids you are retaining

IM SURE THIS WILL CHANGE SOON!

In the meantime I suggest/recommend you take baseline measurements NOW!

ALSO

if you have any clothes that were snug/tight before surgery ...try them on now!!!

Hopefully they will already fit better

Good luck ...

No real advice here other than to just hang in there. I jokingly said right after surgery (in the hospital) that “it failed, I’m still FAT and I want my $$ back”.

I lost fast at first, but now I’m lucky if I lose 4 a month. It really messes with your head, but if you work the program it DOES work, just at different paces for each of us.

I initially gained form the swelling and then stayed the same for about 2 weeks. If you are following the guidelines I think you are just holding onto swelling and it will probably suddenly drop. If you are constipated you could also be weighing a little heavier than pre surgery too.

Girllllll it's WAY too early to start freaking out. First off, you often GAIN anywhere between 5-15 lbs from the fluids they pump into you and swelling. That can take a couple of weeks to shake off, plus your surgery involves a lot of sutures- so again SWELLING. Secondly, your body has just been through what it perceives as a trauma; it's a whole lot of chaos as far as it's concerned and it may take a little while to get with the program you have in mind. Lastly, there's that damned 3 week stall thing... Mine came at about 2 or 2.5 weeks... and lasted more than 3 weeks from there. It was very disheartening, but it did break eventually! (And I've had smaller stalls since, I've learned to live with it.)

It's not a race, it's a marathon, and really this is a lifestyle change.

RE: when you "get to look ok"? WLS patients have a lot of body dysmorphia issues. In your mind, you may get to your goal and still not feel like that. It's something to address with a counselor, setting your expectations realistically. (I may be wrong, you may have realistic expectations but are expressing it as part of this general frustration.)

Generally, I think you are being too hard on yourself and need to be a kinder to yourself during this process. You're doing all the right things. Everyone who goes through this is afraid it won't work for them. Give it some time and keep doing what you're doing. Maybe contact your surgeon about what your expectations should be; this type of surgery is pretty new, so it may be a little different.

It'll be ok, just give it time.

I had surgery on 2/4. I lost about 25 lbs right away then nothing. I got to 345 and stalled for 5 weeks.

Now I'm at 339(ish) and stuck, again for 3+ weeks. My exercise is okay, I get about 30-45 min a day 4-5 days a week.

I definitely eat less than 1000 calories a day, with (mostly) balanced macros. I keep my Protein > 70 every day and fat and carbs seem to fluctuate a bit depending. Yesterday I ate pecans so my fat was high and carbs were low. Other days I'll eat a banana or apple and then my carbs go up. Regardless, I can't seem to lose any more weight and it's been almost 3 months since surgery. I was doing some googling and found articles on WLS non-responders or insufficient weight loss. Apparently what they don't tell you is that there are people who aren't successful metabolically. My doctor already said I should find a new way of defining success that isn't the scale. Like I should Celebrate my increased exercise achievements. Have to say I find it hard to "celebrate" increased exercise stamina that doesn't come with dropping pounds. I wanted to fit my ass into an airplane seat and see Europe and not be a fat American. Looks like that isn't going to happen, though.

My weight loss is also VERY slow

22lbs in the 3mth Post surgery sw was I've spent hours trawling through the Internet trying to workout the biochemistry/cellular physiology of what exactly happens during a stall ( I lost a few pounds over the first month but then stalled for 3 weeks)

How can intake be 600 kcal and enough Protein but no weight loss ... right !!!

Measuring was the only thing that convinced me something was happening (7 inches from my waist and 1 inch from my hips!).

OR

maybe you could be on track for a Nobel prize for groundbreaking research on the revised laws of thermodynamics!!!!!

How far out post op are you? And what was your surgery weight? ( it factors in as well)

IT WILL IMPROVE . it has too!

All the best

4 minutes ago, WafflingWafa said:

Measuring was the only thing that convinced me something was happening (7 inches from my waist and 1 inch from my hips!).

I bought a sewing tape measure that fit my hips. They're down maybe 2.5" from when I measured a month ago. My chest definitely lost inches and my waist maybe 1". I keep hoping it will budge. I'm honestly just glad I'm not alone in this. Not that I take any pleasure in hearing that other people have the same problem, I'm just glad to not be alone.