Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling weak 3 weeks post-op + acid reflux

Hi loves,

It's been three weeks since my gastric sleeve surgery. Overall I'm feeling fine, but I'm starting to feel weaker as the days go by. It's really difficult for me to get all the Water down (there are days where I can't do more than just 32oz). Eating pureed food doesn't hurt me, but the acid reflux I get after is terrible. Today I woke up almost crying, that's how bad it was. I took some medication and of course it went down, but I don't want to take that medication forever?? How far apart are your meals? I'm fine with eating pureed chicken and some broth, but anything else is quite difficult. Most of the Protein I'm getting is from whey powders (I found that 60g with a cup of broth doesn't taste bad).

Thank you all!

If you are dehydrated that causes weakness. Have you considered calling dr to see if they can orchestrate you getting some fluids. They can do it out patient at hospital and others have said they have iv bars and people that come to your house even. That may be a good place to start.

Hi!

You may find that your energy will ebb and flow for a while. That’s pretty normal. The tired weak feeling should get better in time, the further out from surgery you are.

Some reasons you may feel this way are lack of (metabolism assisting) Vitamins like the B’s and not enough hydration. Hydration goes a little deeper that just the right amount of liquids, you also need electrolytes.

The PPI’s (Proton Pump Inhibitors) are prescribed for a few month. It takes time for the surgical inflammation to go away. Confirm with your surgeon how long they expect you to stay on them.

It’s only been three weeks since surgery, things should get better gradually.

Good Luck ❤️

Edited by GreenTealael

30 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

If you are dehydrated that causes weakness. Have you considered calling dr to see if they can orchestrate you getting some fluids. They can do it out patient at hospital and others have said they have iv bars and people that come to your house even. That may be a good place to start.

My doctor is like six hours away from me so I doubt that's possible :( But the more I read the more I realize it might be because I'm not drinking enough Water. This is tough lol!

28 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Hi!

You may find that your energy will ebb and flow for a while. That’s pretty normal. The tired weak feeling should get better in time, the further out from surgery you are.

Some reasons you may feel this way are lack of (metabolism assisting) Vitamins like the B’s and not enough hydration. Hydration goes a little deeper that just the right amount of liquids, you also need electrolytes.

The PPI’s (Proton Pump Inhibitors) are prescribed for a few month. It takes time for the surgical inflammation to go away. Confirm with your surgeon how long they expect you to stay on them.

It’s only been three weeks since surgery, things should get better gradually.

Good Luck ❤️

Thanks a lot! ❤️ I am very strict with my Vitamins, that's the only thing I can keep up with for now. Didn't think of drinking electrolytes though, this definitely might help. When it comes to acid reflux medication, I'm okay with taking it and it helps a lot, I just hope it's not some medication I'll have to live on for the rest of my life :(

On 4/7/2021 at 5:50 PM, fitgal2021 said:

Thanks a lot! ❤️ I am very strict with my Vitamins, that's the only thing I can keep up with for now. Didn't think of drinking electrolytes though, this definitely might help. When it comes to acid reflux medication, I'm okay with taking it and it helps a lot, I just hope it's not some medication I'll have to live on for the rest of my life :(

I know this post is almost seven months old, but I'm just wondering how you're doing with your acid reflux now? I'm where you are then, and though omeprazole helps tremendously, I don't want to be taking this forever (I've read horror stories about long-term usage of PPIs).

On 10/29/2021 at 3:58 PM, AjaSlimtone said:

I know this post is almost seven months old, but I'm just wondering how you're doing with your acid reflux now? I'm where you are then, and though omeprazole helps tremendously, I don't want to be taking this forever (I've read horror stories about long-term usage of PPIs).

Hi and sorry for the late reply! I'm 9 months post op now and I don't get acid reflux anymore. Don't get me wrong, if I drink together and eat something heavy I'll feel uncomfortable but it's not acid. I still don't really eat spicy foods since whenever I do try a bite I might get a tiny bit of the acid back.

10 hours ago, fitgal2021 said:

Hi and sorry for the late reply! I'm 9 months post op now and I don't get acid reflux anymore. Don't get me wrong, if I drink together and eat something heavy I'll feel uncomfortable but it's not acid. I still don't really eat spicy foods since whenever I do try a bite I might get a tiny bit of the acid back.

No need to apologize! Thanks for getting back to me. :) I'm now almost 3 months post-op and my acid is FINALLY starting to settle down a bit. Thank goodness!