Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Upcoming Surgery in May!

Hi there,

After having followed the site for some time, I am posting here for the first time to get some advise!

Height - 4'11

HW - 222

Current Weight - 215

My surgeon has given me both options - Sleeve OR Bypass!

I don't have any GERD issue or anything that may tilt the balance on one or the other. So can I please get some advise so I can make up my mind on what to choose?! I have PCOS and I want to lose about 100 pounds for my PCOS related side effects to come to a good halt. So maximum weight loss or as much as I can is definitely a key for me. Hence I was thinking *Bypass*, but then I have also followed some posters here and they have lost the same amount with Sleeve too!

I would preferred Sleeve too because of little less side effects in future. But then I also don't want to get Sleeved and then not lose the desired weight, having to regret the decision not to have picked Bypass.

I have also read how average weight loss is more or less similar to both in the 5 yr study, so why do some pick *Bypass* over *Sleeve*?!

Any advise would be great so I don't pendulum on the options and pick one of the two!

Edited by DaisyAndSunshine

If you are unsure weigh yourself options with your physician and see which one they recommend.

I went back and forth and was undecided but ultimately decided on the sleeve because the results are very similar with less risk. In addition to that both my dr and I were concerned about Vitamin deficiencies in the future due to malabsorption (I already have issues with malabsorption and they can’t figure out why so they didn’t want to make it worse by doing the bypass).
From what was discussed with my physician I also got the impressions that Success is individual and it really depends on how well you follow your plan.

full disclosure: I’m only two weeks post op but I’m doing really well. I just moved to puréed food, I’m getting 64 ounces of liquids easy, and there was little to no pain post op. I took half a Tylenol the first day I was home and then nothing after. I was 293 prior to surgery and I’m now 273.
Their goal for me is 195.

16 hours ago, Orinskye said:

If you are unsure weigh yourself options with your physician and see which one they recommend.

I went back and forth and was undecided but ultimately decided on the sleeve because the results are very similar with less risk. In addition to that both my dr and I were concerned about Vitamin deficiencies in the future due to malabsorption (I already have issues with malabsorption and they can’t figure out why so they didn’t want to make it worse by doing the bypass).
From what was discussed with my physician I also got the impressions that Success is individual and it really depends on how well you follow your plan.

full disclosure: I’m only two weeks post op but I’m doing really well. I just moved to puréed food, I’m getting 64 ounces of liquids easy, and there was little to no pain post op. I took half a Tylenol the first day I was home and then nothing after. I was 293 prior to surgery and I’m now 273.
Their goal for me is 195.

Hey thanks for the feedback!

I don't have any issue with malabsorption or GERD which may get me to choose one over the other automatically. Hence the confusion!

But I think I have come to terms yesterday after having done some more research - This is what I posted on the Bypass forum under the same topic - Hope things work out in my favor! 😄

Yeh I have been reading into stories of many PCOSers and about Bypass vs Sleeve. I think data also shows long term success with Bypass is better with Sleeves esp if you have some hormonal setback. So I think I'll stick to Bypass for now! It gives me more of the positive vibe and lack of regret which I may have with Sleeve if things don't go as planned! At least with Bypass I won't have that regret of "I could have chosen Bypass"!

Ofc Bypass comes with its own setback and side effects, but I think I am comfortable taking the chance!

Hi! I also have PCOS and I am going to go with the sleeve hopefully soon! My surgeon explained that for PCOS the sleeve is a better option for me  bc they remove the stomach hormones and if for some reason the sleeve doesn’t get the desired results then can always do a bypass down the road.  Something I just learned is dairy is not good for PCOS. I thought I was doing good drinking Premier Protein shakes and the dietician said to reduce dairy and do plant based Protein with almond milk fit shakes( Vega Protein Powder is sooo good) bc dairy cause inflammation and other trouble for pcos. Hopefully once you learn more and your test results come back you can make the best decision for yourself! Keep me posted on your journey! Good luck!