Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long, long time ago...

I'm almost six years out, but there are people on here who are further out than I am.

No regrets at all. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Yes, I've regained about 20 lbs. A 10-20 lb regain after hitting bottom is unfortunately very common. It seems to happen most often in year 2 or 3. I've worked on trying to get 10 of it off (I don't want to get down to my lowest weight again - it was too low for me), but it's a bear. But losing 10 lbs when you're normal weight (or slightly overweight) is a bear for people who've never been obese, too. Plus I'm post-menopausal, which doesn't help.

Today is 18 years.

I have plenty of regrets. None of them are related to my RNY.

My weight has fluctuated up and down over the years. I don't really focus on weight anymore.

I'm a happy, healthy, active camper.

2 years ago and going strong. Absolutely no regrets after more than 130 lbs down. I feel like Im back to eating in a total normal way, but I think that is due to my body giving me "normal" signals now that I never had before. So even post-GP other than the weight, I dont notice any differences. The only thing I do now food related is food journaling and watching out for extra fatty/sugary foods in order to not dump. Im also back to playing sports and have a WONDERFUL time doing them. Im working on gaining muscle now though and dont know how well that will go.

Oh, I jumpstarted my weight loss but getting rid of sugar AND sweeteners from my diet. I also limited bread. This REALLY helped me get a grip on things just before surgery and then when surgery came around I really didnt want anything sweet for THE longest time after that.

Edited by Krestel

On 4/6/2021 at 7:40 PM, Rustysgirl said:

Who has had their surgery the longest time ago? How has it been long term? Any regrets? Any regain? How did you jumpstart losing again? Any tips or recommendations?

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm just two years out. I'm still learning to navigate maintenance but I have no regrets or complaints of any kind. When I need to lose a few pounds, I cut out processed foods, lower carbs, and focus on Protein. So far it works for me.

4 hours ago, Jaelzion said:

I'm just two years out. I'm still learning to navigate maintenance but I have no regrets or complaints of any kind. When I need to lose a few pounds, I cut out processed foods, lower carbs, and focus on Protein. So far it works for me.

Yeah! A surgery twin almost. I totally agree with what you wrote. I feel the same way, I want to lose a few more pounds but dont want to yo-yo them.

12 years out.

I had several blood transfusions after my WLS so I had big regrets. The issue was that I replaced food with alcohol (was not a drinker prior to WLS)

3 years ago I got my sh*t together and got serious about supplements and started Keto. I am now at a healthy weight 145 and plan to eventually get back down to my lowest weight (135) which was pre covid. I gained 10 pounds when the lockdown started.

I don't regret the surgery as much now as most if not all the issues I had were avoidable and just really my fault for not following the post op way of life.

I am 8.5 years out. I have been pretty happy for the most part. In the last 3 years I have had about a 20 to 25 lb regain, and I am trying to get a hold on it. I am having some IT band issues which has halted the running I was doing prior to that. I am on the road to re-learning how to eat again: small portions, more Protein, and don't eat late in the day.

Any other tips would be appreciated!

On 6/10/2021 at 4:10 PM, Mickey01 said:

I am 8.5 years out. I have been pretty happy for the most part. In the last 3 years I have had about a 20 to 25 lb regain, and I am trying to get a hold on it. I am having some IT band issues which has halted the running I was doing prior to that. I am on the road to re-learning how to eat again: small portions, more Protein, and don't eat late in the day.

Any other tips would be appreciated!

For the night eating try sipping on a sugar-free electrolyte drink that you like. Salt and minerals can really help you fast longer. Also try brushing your teeth with a strong minty taste. This will help trick your mind into not eating by not wanting to ruin that clean feel in your mouth. You've probably heard of these before but hope that helps. 😊