Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nauseated when drinking water

I am six weeks post surgery. Drinking makes me nauseous. I barely get 48 ounces of liquid per day.

Plain Water is especially difficult. I keep trying different things, different temperatures, flavored water, tea, milk, crystal light, etc. Sometimes flavored water will be good one day and make me nauseous the next

Has anyone else struggled with this problem? How long did it take to get better.

I have... enjoyed Water prior to surgery - had surgery now it makes me ill and yes... doesnt matter what you put in it. i am at week 12 and still the same. i dunno what the deal is with this...

Same here, my nut said it’s a common thing after surgery. She suggested Evian Water because of the added minerals. Doesn’t make me nauseous, I was so happy!

For me right after surgery I could only drink Water if it was very cold. Gone were the days that I would carry around a half gallon jug and drink whenever I felt like it. Slowly over time my stomach has gotten more tolerant of water and now it only occasionally makes me feel sick. I'm over 6 months out now and it has been better for probably the last 2 or 3. When I was having more difficulty I often turned to either Gatorade Zero or True Lemon. I got a variety pack of the True Lemon pouches and even now I still occasionally mix one into my water.

reply - maslman

you have a good point about cold Water - i noticed that its goes down a notch better than cool or room temp. for me it has to be ice cold. i would love to know the reasoning for the water issue.