Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass Surgery

My name is Elaine I am 61 and I'm 270 lbs. I have been so ashamed of myself I haven't left my apartment accept for Dr. APPTS. I have my first consultation on April 10 about the surgery I wish I could do it on my own but I can't. Can anyone tell me what that appt will be like?

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi Elaine, welcome.
The doctor is just gonna talk with you about your weight, your dieting history, what the surgery is like, what to expect from the surgery & help you decide which surgery is right for you.
If you have acid reflux at all you should have a RNY.
From what I’ve seen in the boards, your age isn’t a concern at all.

Toodles, Rue

They'll give you a lists of things you'll need to do before they'll approve and schedule you. Each doctor is different, but most will want a history of weight loss effort, a medically supervised diet with visits to dietician and some weight loss, clearance from a bariatric therapist, medical tests...some want support group attendence, fitness classes, etc. Just very much depends on your surgeon's group policies. They will likely discuss benefits and drawbacks of each different surgery. They'll measure you and weigh you and give you a list of things to schedule.

Hi Elaine, welcome.
The doctor is just gonna talk with you about your weight, your dieting history, what the surgery is like, what to expect from the surgery & help you decide which surgery is right for you.

Toodles, Rue

Thank you so much.

They'll give you a lists of things you'll need to do before they'll approve and schedule you. Each doctor is different, but most will want a history of weight loss effort, a medically supervised diet with visits to dietician and some weight loss, clearance from a bariatric therapist, medical tests...some want support group attendence, fitness classes, etc. Just very much depends on your surgeon's group policies. They will likely discuss benefits and drawbacks of each different surgery. They'll measure you and weigh you and give you a list of things to schedule.
I appreciate your help thank you.

14 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

These things are more dictated by your medical insurance rather than being the physician's requirements (assuming you expect coverage by your insurance company). Naturally, any reputable doctor should only take on patients that he/she believes will be successful but the actual hoops you have to jump through prior to surgery are mainly based on insurance requirements. You physician's office will check into what your particular insurance requires and guide you along the way. For example, many patients have to: have a psych eval, have a sleep study/use CPAP, have nutritionist/dietician appointments, get a cardiac eval, and show some weight loss prior to insurance approval for surgery. The length of time to do these things is also dictated by insurance. Some only require 3 months of effort, but most seem to require 6 months of effort. I started in October 2020 and my surgery is scheduled for April 20, 2021.

It's all doable and the time passes more quickly than you think it will!

Edited by GingersnapMI

These things are more dictated by your medical insurance rather than being the physician's requirements (assuming you expect coverage by your insurance company). Naturally, any reputable doctor should only take on patients that he/she believes will be successful but the actual hoops you have to jump through prior to surgery are mainly based on insurance requirements. You physician's office will check into what your particular insurance requires and guide you along the way. For example, many patients have to: have a psych eval, have a sleep study/use CPAP, have nutritionist/dietician appointments, get a cardiac eval, and show some weight loss prior to insurance approval for surgery. The length of time to do these things is also dictated by insurance. Some only require 3 months of effort, but most seem to require 6 months of effort. I started in October 2020 and my surgery is scheduled for April 20, 2021.
It's all doable and the time passes more quickly than you think it will!
I'm so nervous and excited at the same time. I don't really have many friends and the ones I do have think I shouldn't do it. So I thank you for taking time to help me know what to expect[emoji173] Good luck with your surgery[emoji173]

12 hours ago, Emh2459 said:

I'm so nervous and excited at the same time. I don't really have many friends and the ones I do have think I shouldn't do it. So I thank you for taking time to help me know what to expectemoji173.png Good luck with your surgeryemoji173.png

I'm an introvert with few friends but in my smallish 15-person department at work, three people have had bariatric surgeries within the last two years so I get a lot of support/guidance there. My one close personal friend is also very supportive, as are my three adult children. My two siblings, both of whom are bigger than me, are the voices of doom and gloom and tell me I'm making a big mistake. I think it's just because they aren't brave enough to do something about their own situations.

Edited by GingersnapMI

Hi Elaine, welcome.

Toodles, Rue
Toodlerue hi After your surgery was over is it true that you have to take special Vitamins for the rest of your life and are they expensive? Did you have the sleeve or the other I'm so confused I don't know the difference if you can help me I would really appreciate it[emoji173]

Yes, you need to take Vitamins after surgery. Taking vitamins isn’t a bad idea for most people.
I use the PatchMD ones. I take enough pills as it is & I don’t want to take anymore orally. My daughter takes the BariatricPal ones. Others take chewable children’s vitamins (I couldn’t stand those & a kid).
I had a RNY because I had previous surgery to fix a hiatal hernia that had failed & it was causing me a great deal of acid reflux again.

Talk with your doctor to pick the best surgery for you!

I am 68 and had the R&Y on Feb. 15.

I came through surgery fine. Don't listen to your friends. If you haven't lost the weight by now, you probably never will, that was the conclusion I came to. In the end your health will improve. I'm less than 2 months from surgery and I've already dropped one and a half BP medications.

The surgery isn't all roses. Foods you enjoyed before will likely become disgusting to you. This is a side effect that occurs in a very high percentage of patients of R&Y. It's usually not a longterm problem. My friend had it and his tastes returned in about 8 months. The good thing is, you're having this surgery to lose weight and if you have an aversion to most foods, that will only help you lose more. I pretty much live on smoked salmon, Starkist tuna packets, Protein Bars and GENEPRO Protein Powder. I mix the Genepro with diluted fruit juice. Trust me, the Protein Shakes you drink before surgery will not taste the same. I can't stand them now but the Genepro is tasteless. I'll eat a few crackers at times. I am at about where I'm supposed to be. I've lost 70 lbs so far.

Be sure your surgeon prescribes medication to avoid gall stones. Rapid weight loss can cause them. Also, eat nuts sparingly while drinking lots of Water. Lots of nuts and low water intake can cause kidney stones.

You'll do fine. You're not old. I'm old!