Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I was watching a YouTuber who had VSG before I had my surgery. Her channel is My Level 10 Life if you’d like to check it out - she has a lot of great information on the surgery and life after.
Anyway, she had recommended souper cubes, so I invested in some and I love them. You can bake in them or freeze things in them, and they are portion controlled. However, they are a bit pricey. So, yesterday I was at a Marshall’s and came across some silicone ice cube trays with a lid for $3.99. They are the perfect portion for me right now and are a great alternative to souper cubes if you don’t want to dish out $30+. The only thing with these ones is that I can’t bake in them, but oh well.

AD664F7E-8113-4625-B18F-8DB99336A568.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Jnfinney said:

The only thing with these ones is that I can’t bake in them, but oh well.

I'm pretty sure silicone trays can go in the oven (up to a certain temp), just not the lid of course.

...and both can likely go in the microwave?

Hmmm I’m not sure, I will do some checking!

@ms.sss it appears silicone molds can be used up to 450 degrees! Woo hoo!

Cool tip! I'm going to have to check my Marshalls. I did shell out for 1 1/2 cup souper cube tray and I love it. It is perfect for portioning and freezing precooked meals. Right now I have homemade refried Beans in my tray.

Wish I would’ve seen your tip before I bought the souper cubes but I agree they are perfect for us.

I don't usually bake my meals, usually I make stew type dishes, so I didn't think of that as an advantage of the souper cubes over the small fake tupperware containers from the grocery store (I follow My Level Ten Life too!). I bought some of those small 4 oz and 2 oz containers from the grocery store, about $2 - $2.50 for a set of 4 and I like that they are separate, since I can take just one from the freezer to microwave it. Also my freezer is TINY. Yes, they're a little bigger, but I don't need to fill them up all the way. I think they have a measurement line half way up but I can also measure it and put a line with a permanent marker. I also can buy 1 oz containers for right after surgery to measure liquids.

20 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

I don't usually bake my meals, usually I make stew type dishes, so I didn't think of that as an advantage of the souper cubes over the small fake tupperware containers from the grocery store (I follow My Level Ten Life too!). I bought some of those small 4 oz and 2 oz containers from the grocery store, about $2 - $2.50 for a set of 4 and I like that they are separate, since I can take just one from the freezer to microwave it. Also my freezer is TINY. Yes, they're a little bigger, but I don't need to fill them up all the way. I think they have a measurement line half way up but I can also measure it and put a line with a permanent marker. I also can buy 1 oz containers for right after surgery to measure liquids.

The one good thing about the cubes is that they take up less room than containers in the freezer. Especially if you take them out and place the “cubes” in ziplock bags. (This way you can use the same one and don’t need multiple supper cube trays too). For right after surgery the ice cube sizes ones would have been great though. As time goes on and you can eat more just take out more cubes per meal. I doubt the ice cube size would be great for stew unless you cut the ingredients extra small. I guess it’s just a matter of preference but I have found them handy for certain things. I also have prepped the food into the disposable containers in 2 ounce and 3 ounce portions and placed those into ziplock bags and froze stuff that way though depending on what I was freezing.

8 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

The one good thing about the cubes is that they take up less room than containers in the freezer. Especially if you take them out and place the “cubes” in ziplock bags. (This way you can use the same one and don’t need multiple supper cube trays too). For right after surgery the ice cube sizes ones would have been great though. As time goes on and you can eat more just take out more cubes per meal. I doubt the ice cube size would be great for stew unless you cut the ingredients extra small. I guess it’s just a matter of preference but I have found them handy for certain things. I also have prepped the food into the disposable containers in 2 ounce and 3 ounce portions and placed those into ziplock bags and froze stuff that way though depending on what I was freezing.

Oh, I didn't think about taking them out of the souper cubes to put in ziploc bags. But I have no place to put in the whole ice cube sized tray to freeze in the first place. My freezer is much smaller than a normal size freezer because my fridge is apartment size. It's barely big enough for one person who cooks. The containers I bought aren't disposable; they are dishwasher and microwave safe and freezer safe. But they are not silicone, so no oven.

1 minute ago, lizonaplane said:

Oh, I didn't think about taking them out of the souper cubes to put in ziploc bags. But I have no place to put in the whole ice cube sized tray to freeze in the first place. My freezer is much smaller than a normal size freezer because my fridge is apartment size. It's barely big enough for one person who cooks. The containers I bought aren't disposable; they are dishwasher and microwave safe and freezer safe. But they are not silicone, so no oven.

So if you really wanted to use the cubes you could possibly fit some of the smaller tray ones that are like half a regular ice cube tray size. It sounds like what you are doing is working for you though.