Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,

I just needed to complain to someone! I'm calling bull on the whole "get adequate liquid" thing. I want to get adequate liquid! I crave a nice large ice-cold cup of Water. 64 oz pre-surgery? EASY. A dream. Now? pureed stage, 3 small meals a day. Plus 2 Protein Shakes. Wait half an hour before eating or drinking, half an hour to complete your meal, and then wait half an hour afterward. Let's do the math. 5 x 1.5 = 7.5. I'm supposed to dedicate 7.5 hours a day to consuming food/protein but still get 64 oz-in. It breaks my heart. Hands down the most difficult thing about this experience. I miss being able to consume water like normal. Sometimes I worry I'm stretching my stomach out too fast by taking bigger sips, but the little ones get me nowhere. Life's a real trip sometimes bebes.

It gets better, but I still miss being able to drink a whole glass of Water at one time. Three years out, I can take a couple of glups, but that's it.

Yes, it is hard to reach your fluid goals to begin. My surgeon told me that. Same with meeting Protein goals. He said as long as I was making a real effort to get there it was ok & I would make it. One thing to remember is that all liquids count towards your Fluid goals so those two Protein Shakes are fluid too. I used to dilute my shakes (added 1/2 as much Water again). They still tasted disgusting though! I also made very milky rolled oats for Breakfast. One serve lasted me for days but the milk added to my fluid goals.

Honestly, I was a big water drinker before surgery but now I sometimes find it almost too heavy. I still struggle to take more than a big mouthful or two at a time. Two things I discovered was I find it easier to drink from a glass than a bottle & warm drinks are easier than cold.

I was just going to say what Arabesque said - most dietitians allow you to count Protein Shakes toward your Fluid goal. This will all get a lot easier. i know those first few weeks can be overwhelming - but it does get a lot easier as you go on

This was THE most frightening thing about the first week or two after surgery. The math just didn’t work out! I had a lot of anxiety about dehydration, but every day became a little bit easier. I could take bigger sips, and the routine of continually drinking started to become less cumbersome. Now I’m 8 or 9 mo the post op, and I’ve got a good routine down. I can take several big gulps at once with no problem. It’s not as much as before, but it’s still very satisfying.

It does feel so overwhelming at first, but as the others say, it does get easier. I’m only 3 months post-op (today!) and it’s amazing how routine it becomes. Hang in there!

On 4/3/2021 at 10:21 PM, Creekimp13 said:

It gets better, but I still miss being able to drink a whole glass of Water at one time. Three years out, I can take a couple of glups, but that's it.

On 4/3/2021 at 10:21 PM, Creekimp13 said:

I think my doctor didnt really believe me when I told him the only thing I drink is Water. It’s my one true love. Definitely tough.

On 4/3/2021 at 10:37 PM, Arabesque said:

Yes, it is hard to reach your fluid goals to begin. My surgeon told me that. Same with meeting Protein goals. He said as long as I was making a real effort to get there it was ok & I would make it. One thing to remember is that all liquids count towards your Fluid goals so those two Protein Shakes are Fluid too. I used to dilute my shakes (added 1/2 as much Water again). They still tasted disgusting though! I also made very milky rolled oats for Breakfast. One serve lasted me for days but the milk added to my fluid goals.

Honestly, I was a big Water drinker before surgery but now I sometimes find it almost too heavy. I still struggle to take more than a big mouthful or two at a time. Two things I discovered was I find it easier to drink from a glass than a bottle & warm drinks are easier than cold.

I love my team, but was super surprised when my doc said “most people don’t count their Protein Shakes towards their goal” I was so discouraged. Glad to hear that’s not true for everyone.

On 4/4/2021 at 8:01 AM, Lillimint said:

This was THE most frightening thing about the first week or two after surgery. The math just didn’t work out! I had a lot of anxiety about dehydration, but every day became a little bit easier. I could take bigger sips, and the routine of continually drinking started to become less cumbersome. Now I’m 8 or 9 mo the post op, and I’ve got a good routine down. I can take several big gulps at once with no problem. It’s not as much as before, but it’s still very satisfying.

Definitely an usual feeling right now. I was a “chugger”. Drinking all day gives it that “chore” feeling. Glad to hear it gets easier