Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I take Finasteride, Biotin, collagen powder Protein, keratin, minoxidil...I am not at the Hair loss stage yet but I doing my best mitigate the loss. Not sure anything can really be done...we shall see.

there's really nothing you can do once it starts falling out. There are things that might help the new hair come in, though (like Biotin - some people claim it helps, anyway...)

Edited by catwoman7

Unfortunately, Hair loss is a bit part of the process. I tried Biotin for a while and didn't see much of a change, but I do know some who never forget to take it. I had long hair prior to my surgery and cut it shoulder length during that stage to make it less noticeable. Adequate Protein intake will help and eventually your body will even out and the hair loss will slowly begin to revert. I have noticed though that the texture of my hair did change after and my hair isn't as thick as it used to be.

The shock of the surgery & reduced caloric intake accelerates your natural Hair loss cycle. You can’t do anything to stop it as shedding hair is a natural bodily process. All the supplements you could take may only help your regrowth not the hair you are losing. It’s already dead & has to be shed for new growth to occur.

This hair loss cycle is something you just have to live through unfortunately even though it can be frustrating. It does slow back to your usual shedding rate. Just give it about 3 months +/-.

As you’re losing you are regrowing hair. It’s just regrowing at it’s usual rate & isn’t as obvious as the loss. You don’t usually notice your regrow but it happens all the time.

You may also eventually notice a change in the texture of your hair from the anaesthetic. It affects the regrowth. I noticed at about 12 months my hair had become more flyaway & finer.

Thats definitely one thing am really worried about

7 hours ago, LisLuva said:

Thats definitely one thing am really worried about

that seems to be one of the biggest worries among pre-ops and new post-ops, but I think I can speak on behalf of almost all "vets" that in the grand scheme of things, the Hair loss is a temporary inconvenience that's a small price to pay for what we get out of the surgery (i.e., massive weight loss). In retrospect, I can't believe I wasted one minute worrying about it! But I do relate to what you're saying since I felt the same way at the beginning of this process. Luckily, most of us don't lose enough hair for other people to notice, though.