Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 4/2/2021 at 6:13 PM, Bella2021 said:

So I’m a week post -op and on the purée stage. I find that I’m a lot more hungry on this stage more than anything else. While I was on liquid , I didn’t feel the need to eat. Now that I can, it’s seems like yes I do get the restriction but I still feel hungry. I rather be on real food stage at this point where I can eat a more balanced meal to fill me up. Anyone else experienced this ?

I was absolutely hungry for the first week or two after the surgery - during the clear liquid/full liquid/puree stage. After I moved to the soft foods stage and could get plenty of Protein from eggs and cottage cheese, the hunger pretty much went away. I had pretty much perfect hunger control after that. I'm sure I was hungry at first because I wasn't getting enough protein. It's nearly impossible to get enough protein right after surgery. I think a lot of people experience hunger when they don't get enough protein.

On 4/2/2021 at 6:13 PM, Bella2021 said:

Accidental double post

Edited by rjan

On 4/3/2021 at 11:33 PM, ChiNaDoll2285 said:

I hv tried the Protein Drink &added fruit & ice to Make a shake. I had a slice of cinnamon bread w a teaspoon of Peanut Butter & 1slice of Romain lettuce w a teaspoon of mayo & a flour of low salt turkey (i took out 2pieces of lettuces thinking i was gonna eat both, but I couldn't so i saved that for later. All of this wasn't in 1 seating... 😆 plus my exercise. O only lost 3lbs in 1 month. I'm doing something wrong of i can't lose more than that? Other days I'll eat oatmeal in the a.m., fish & lettuce & sugar free ice pops & chicken with a salad... no tomatoes. But I'll b starving after an hr of eating. I measure everything

What am I doing wrong?!

It kind of sounds to me like you aren't getting enough Protein. You haven't exactly listed out everything you eat in a day, but let's say you're having a Protein Drink and a couple of servings of meat and/or nuts a day. That's probably about 40 g of protein. You should be getting at least 60, and as much as 80 if you're a big exerciser.

If you're particularly carb sensitive, then sure, cutting down on the fruit and nixing the bread and oatmeal will help too. But try and focus more on upping your protein first. In fact, if you're eating enough protein early on, it should be difficult for you to fit much of that carb-y food in your tiny stomach.

Don't starve yourself! If you're hungry, then eat. Just choose protein rich foods. It's tempting to keep cutting and cutting when you're in the middle of a stall (and stalls happen to everyone, particularly a few weeks out from surgery, despite what your doctor may say.) But if your body is lacking nutrients, it's going to hang on to every ounce for dear life. If you're hungry, then your body is telling you it needs something. Most likely, that's protein.

I’m 3 weeks post sleeve. After moving to purée stage I was feeling hungry more often. Yes get the Protein in first. My directions are 1 scoop of Protein Powder must have 20 gms of protein and below 12 gms of sugar. I mix the protein powder with almond milk. I got a jug of protein powder that tastes terrible so I got some dry Peanut Butter powder from Amazon for more protein. I mix only 4 ozs almond milk, protein powder 1 scoop, 2 Tbsp of dry peanut powder plus one Tbsp sugar free Greek vanilla yogurt. Tastes like a peanut butter milkshake which if you like peanut butter tastes pretty good. Somewhere I read the difference between head hunger and true hunger. I find that useful. Make sure you are drinking enough Water because dehydration can be confused for hunger. My diabetes immediately went away so the surgery was well, well worth it in my book. Good luck!!

On 4/3/2021 at 4:08 PM, Bella2021 said:

Today I upped my Protein . I had half of Premier Protein with some Greek yogurt and made a shake and I was pretty full off that and then I had some salmon with avocado. I think the shake helped to cut down some of the hungry. I’m new to this and figuring it out as well. Have you tried that ?

wait what week are you on?? that you where able to eat all this??

I had my 9 week check in today and one of the things I discussed is HUNGER! I’m hungry but still am only able to eat 2.5-3 oz Protein at my 3 meals. I’m not making even the low end of my protein goals (60-90 grams). My RD thinks this is why my weight loss is crawling. I am doing 3 days a week strength training and 3 days stationary bike/treadmill. My level of exercise is too much for the low protein take so rather than pull back exercise, we’re adding in a Protein Shake. So...make sure you’re hitting those protein goals before adding in anything else!

4 hours ago, 2021NewMe said:

wait what week are you on?? that you where able to eat all this??

All of this? I had 2.0z of salmon and avocado puréed together and 1 cup of Protein Shake mixed with yogurt that took me about an hour to drink. I think that’s very minimal compared to what I should be eating . I’m on week 3z

5 hours ago, Arimi said:

I’m 3 weeks post sleeve. After moving to purée stage I was feeling hungry more often. Yes get the Protein in first. My directions are 1 scoop of Protein Powder must have 20 gms of Protein and below 12 gms of sugar. I mix the protein powder with almond milk. I got a jug of protein powder that tastes terrible so I got some dry Peanut Butter powder from Amazon for more protein. I mix only 4 ozs almond milk, protein powder 1 scoop, 2 Tbsp of dry peanut powder plus one Tbsp sugar free Greek vanilla yogurt. Tastes like a Peanut Butter milkshake which if you like peanut butter tastes pretty good. Somewhere I read the difference between head hunger and true hunger. I find that useful. Make sure you are drinking enough Water because dehydration can be confused for hunger. My diabetes immediately went away so the surgery was well, well worth it in my book. Good luck!!

Thanks 🙏🏾

3 hours ago, Bella2021 said:

All of this? I had 2.0z of salmon and avocado puréed together and 1 cup of Protein Shake mixed with yogurt that took me about an hour to drink. I think that’s very minimal compared to what I should be eating . I’m on week 3z

oh I said all that because its more than week one! and two so I am hoping I can have that on week two. I think I read on my post op paperwork week 3 its allowed :( this is hard liquid diet. i have to keep thinking of the positive that is this whole process.

On 04/04/2021 at 23:12, SBFARRIS said:

I’m only 1 1/2 weeks out and on full liquid, but I’ve been starving since the beginning! I sometimes think he didn’t cut much stomach out as I can hold more than I’m supposed to. DREAMING of the puréed stage to get some eggs. I don’t know how I will lose a lot if always hungry. If I could have done this before, I wouldn’t need the surgery! I feel your pain!

I recall feeling the exact same at that stage! Felt very despondent that I had gone through surgery and it hadn’t seemed to help, I was convinced at one point the surgeons had just made incisions and forgotten to actually do the operation!! I carried on with my eating programme and as the days went on I learned to discern head hungry from tummy hungry, I actually found that when I told my head to get over itself as I wasn’t hungry it really worked!!!

At around 14 days I was allowed to start on very soft, mushy baby food type things and this is when things started to change. I keep carbs to below 30g a day and eat lots (well, as much as Bariatric surgery allows...) of healthy, real Protein like chicken and fish which were blended with a bit of low fat mayo, ff yoghurt and some little spices coupled with veg like broccoli, cauliflower, spinach and butternut (2 veg per dinner) and my hunger definitely changed. I eat the above type meals twice a day with a Protein Shake daily to keep me topped up.

I’m on soft, real foods now and I still stick with the above meal layouts and I am not finding too many issues with being hungry.

Oh, almost forgot that keeping Water up in between was super important. When I get bored of water I would mix some low cal juice concentrate with the water which works a treat getting Fluid in.

Keeping a check on the carbs (less than 30g) and good, real protein (between 50-70g) seems to be working for me right now and keeping my calories between 550-700cal pd without the starving to death feeling. Good luck 😊

On 4/3/2021 at 11:33 PM, ChiNaDoll2285 said:

I hv tried the Protein Drink &added fruit & ice to Make a shake. I had a slice of cinnamon bread w a teaspoon of Peanut Butter & 1slice of Romain lettuce w a teaspoon of mayo & a flour of low salt turkey (i took out 2pieces of lettuces thinking i was gonna eat both, but I couldn't so i saved that for later. All of this wasn't in 1 seating... 😆 plus my exercise. O only lost 3lbs in 1 month. I'm doing something wrong of i can't lose more than that? Other days I'll eat oatmeal in the a.m., fish & lettuce & sugar free ice pops & chicken with a salad... no tomatoes. But I'll b starving after an hr of eating. I measure everything

What am I doing wrong?!

Idk about your surgeon, but mine said no carbs until waaaay later and even then, they’ll be from veggies. He said the number reason people regain or stop losing is the carbs, especially from bread , Beans, and grains, and soda. I’m only 6 weeks post op and I’ve lost 46 pounds so I must be doing something right. Mind you, I do weight more and am taller and such. But still, I only eat Protein and non starchy veggies all day. My surgeon said my goal is to be in ketosis at the moment in order to maximize loss.

I have noticed that many on here have refried beans, oatmeal, and other carbs. I don’t know why my surgeon and dietitian is so different from others.

Edited by Kukubari

8 hours ago, 2021NewMe said:

oh I said all that because its more than week one! and two so I am hoping I can have that on week two. I think I read on my post op paperwork week 3 its allowed :( this is hard liquid diet. i have to keep thinking of the positive that is this whole process.

Yea I’ve been holding onto ice pops and Bai drinks and Protein Drinks during that first couple days. I’m going to be on purée for about two more weeks. I’m not sure if that’s longer or shorter than average but some days it feels like torture.

4 hours ago, Kukubari said:

Idk about your surgeon, but mine said no carbs until waaaay later and even then, they’ll be from veggies. He said the number reason people regain or stop losing is the carbs, especially from bread , Beans, and grains, and soda. I’m only 6 weeks post op and I’ve lost 46 pounds so I must be doing something right. Mind you, I do weight more and am taller and such. But still, I only eat Protein and non starchy veggies all day. My surgeon said my goal is to be in ketosis at the moment in order to maximize loss.

I have noticed that many on here have refried Beans, oatmeal, and other carbs. I don’t know why my surgeon and dietitian is so different from others.

I like it surgeon's diet. I'm keep to your diet. Bcuz mind isn't clear on what I'm suppose to do. Right now I'm staying on high Protein diet & some veggies. My surgeon said that I should hv 🐟 🐠 & 🐔 &mash 🥔. I don't like mash potatoes so I don't eat them. & my sugar free ice pops & Jello are my to go to sweets for now 😋 & some exercise &my delicious 🍋, 🥒 & a splash of cran-rasberry Water treat 😋. I think I should lose something by nxt week

I’m 4 weeks out and some days I can eat n other days I can’t bc I get so full. I am sticking to the plan and I am losing but really super slow. The first two weeks postop I lost only 5 pounds. Now I’m only losing like a pound a week I don’t think he cut up enough of my stomach either. I don’t know when week five comes I don’t know how I’m going to stay 1200 cal or less. It’s all about the food not about the exercise or the Water it’s mostly about your food. So change it up