Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LOVE IT!! I half joked to my husband the other day about how, if and when we go out to restaurants after I finally get my surgery, that I would just be eating bites of his food cause I surely wouldn't be able to eat an entire meal of my own. Then I jokingly said something about ordering off the children's menu IF they would allow it. Then here you go with this!! I wonder if my doc has anything like this? I'll have to try and remember when my times comes. So cool!

That is pretty cool! My boyfriend and I have decided that we will order one meal for both of us when I am able to eat out again.

20 years ago you could find similar cards on the internet. I'd wager they are still out there.

Back then, there was quite the debate about these cards and the children's menu.

Children's menus, on average, are crap. Small fried foods that appeals to kids aren't very nuanced in flavor that adults appreciate. That is a pretty compelling argument right there.

As for displaying a card to wait staff... I didn't tell my adult kids or anyone else I had surgery, I'm going to tell a wait staff? I think not. Not everyone is as introspective as me, I get that.

The only feedback I got from wait staff was concern that there was an issue with the food. I would explain that the food was terrific but I just had "a procedure," sometimes holding my jaw, sometimes holding my heart, and couldn't really eat right now. I was having that recent "procedure" until they stopped showing concern, mostly because they knew me. I also made sure the tip reflected an amount that would have been good for a complete meal. This perhaps helped them remember me.

We were in Las Vegas at the time, so money talks more than cards.

Others relished the card. I don't recall experiences of them brandishing the card, but the fact that it persists means folks must use them.

Honestly, if you comfort staff and tip well they will be happy enough to look funny the right way. ;)

Whatever you decide, have success.

Edited by The Greater Fool

just be aware that not all restaurants will honor that - and children's menu choices are often crap - chicken nuggets, hot dogs, etc. When I was early out (once I could at least eat soft foods), I'd just order an appetizer or a bowl of chili or something. I didn't really go out to eat the first month since there was rarely anything I could eat, and I ate so little that I was afraid the wait staff would assume I didn't like the food. So we waited a few weeks..

Ya'll do have a point, now that you say it, about the kids menu being crap most times. Didn't even think of that.

I rarely go out to eat, my wife and I both had sleeve last summer so between the two of us we wouldn’t finish an appetizer but when I take my kids and they get to me I just say “I’m having surgery tomorrow and can’t eat” and just pick off my kids plates. They know the deal, daddy gets his Fry Tax. If there is something I really want I’ll just order it and take 90% of it home. Like TGF said, take care of your wait staff and they dgaf.

My doctor's office mentioned a card pre-op, but I'm not sure I'd use it so I have not inquired post-op.

My 7-year old niece begged to go out to dinner last week to Celebrate a birthday. We went to Cracker Barrel. Since I am only a few weeks post-op, there were only a couple of things I could order. I knew before hand I was just going to order egg whites.

Everyone orders- with their 8 billion sides and stuff, then the waitress gets to me and I ask for egg whites. She thought I was crazy and asked "just that?!" I didn't even eat half. The only thing on the table I really wanted was my niece's grilled cheese. It looked very, very yummy.

I found something like that on Amazon. It’s a plastic card like a credit card size.

I have traveled weekly for work for years (remote now due to COVID but travelling again next week!!) and I plan to travel again after surgery so I will eat most meals out. I don't need a card to tell the server my needs. Like others have said, I'm not going to order chicken nuggets because I don't like them and they're not healthy. I have eaten with coworkers who have had WLS, I've eaten with coworkers who over order and just like to try things but don't want to eat them, etc. Servers in general don't think too much about what you are or aren't eating, as long as you are polite and tip well. As long as you assure them there is nothing wrong with the food (they mostly want to make sure you're not going to complain to their manager), no one is really paying too much attention to how much food is left on your plate. You can always come up with a white lie like, "I had a late lunch" or "I have a headache".

I plan to order things like grilled meat/fish and just eat the few bites I want and throw the rest out, or take to my hotel room if I have a fridge and microwave.

Another thing anyone can do is ask for the lunch portion of things. I used to do it all the time when I dieted.

I have just gotten a cup of Soup or an appetizer. Not interested in bothering a waiter with details of my surgery, plus I echo others sentiments that the kids menu is usually fried or bland garbage.

I worked food service in the (distant) past, and I agree that so long as I think the person wasn’t gonna complain about me, I could not care less how much of their meal they ate. Leave a tip, don’t leave a mess, and the waitstaff will be happy with you every day of the week.

This thread just made me remember that I received a card at my one month follow up. Hmmm, where is that card? Hmmm. So much has been my focus like Water and Protein that I haven't even thought about it.

I was just talking with a friend earlier about going out to eat for my 2 month surgerversary. He is the only person who knows that I had this surgery. Well, the WLS team and a therapist. But, he is the only person in my life. I joked that he would just share with me as I have no need to order anything. Just eat off his plate. We had a huge laugh because generally, he does not like to share. Hahhaha.

Ok, let me find this card. Hopefully it does not have all that information about WLS or the programs name on it. That's way too much. Everyone doesn't need to know all my business.

And, like others have said, when I do get further along, I mainly plan to just order an appetizer and call it a day. (If my friend still doesn't want to share, lol).