Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting out on Soft Food Diet

Okay so I have been on puréed diet with the exception of over steamed broccoli and zucchini but Friday I get to move to soft foods and i am wondering what other people did. I don’t trust myself after misinterpreting before to just start trying stuff. Lol

See if your dietician or bariatric group will give you a list of specific examples. When I was on soft foods, I ate mashed potatoes, refried Beans, cream Soups, yogurt (the whipped greek yogurt was my favorite), cottage cheese, cream of wheat, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, soft poached fish.

How long did everyone's pureed and soft food diets last? I thought mine was 2 weeks on pureed and 2 weeks on soft foods, but I was soooo wrong! I have 4 weeks on pureed and 3-6 months on soft foods!!!!!! 😕

4 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

See if your dietician or bariatric group will give you a list of specific examples. When I was on soft foods, I ate mashed potatoes, refried Beans, cream Soups, yogurt (the whipped greek yogurt was my favorite), cottage cheese, cream of wheat, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, soft poached fish.

Thanks. I called the dietician and got some additional guidance. It wasn’t what I was hoping. Basically fish, chicken and Turkey in addition to what I can already have. I guess that’s something. 😉 Does anyone have any recipes?

Edited by ShoppGirl

17 minutes ago, Jnfinney said:

How long did everyone's pureed and soft food diets last? I thought mine was 2 weeks on pureed and 2 weeks on soft foods, but I was soooo wrong! I have 4 weeks on pureed and 3-6 months on soft foods!!!!!! 😕

Wow that seems like a long time on soft foods. Although idk how long I will be on soft foods it just says until dr clears you... I guess that could be 6 months. I hope not. I am getting board and I am just starting soft foods.

Edited by ShoppGirl

1 hour ago, ShoppGirl said:

Thanks. I called the dietician and got some additional guidance. It wasn’t what I was hoping. Basically fish, chicken and Turkey in addition to what I can already have. I guess that’s something. 😉 Does anyone have any recipes?

I’m not to soft foods yet, but I found a recipe on Baritastic for a ricotta bake which I’m so excited for. It sounds like baked ziti without Pasta.

4 minutes ago, HeatherE said:

I’m not to soft foods yet, but I found a recipe on Baritastic for a ricotta bake which I’m so excited for. It sounds like baked ziti without Pasta.

I have that one. I used it during the purée stage. It’s delicious. In fact I am making more tonight. I just made a pan of it and put it in the 2oz cups because I didn’t have any ramekins and that worked fine.

11 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I have that one. I used it during the purée stage. It’s delicious. In fact I am making more tonight. I just made a pan of it and put it in the 2oz cups because I didn’t have any ramekins and that worked fine.

I’m so jealous. Have one tiny bite for me (haha). I can’t wait until I can have that and an egg. 1.5 more weeks of liquids.

4 hours ago, Jnfinney said:

2 weeks puree and 4 weeks soft for me.

Ugh @bufbills that doesn’t sound bad at all! I’m jealous.

6 minutes ago, Jnfinney said:

Ugh @bufbills that doesn’t sound bad at all! I’m jealous.

Hang in there. When you get to soft food it gets easier. Soft cooked meats, chili, etc.

Does anyone know when they say Turkey do they mean like real Turkey or is lunch meat okay.

10 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Does anyone know when they say Turkey do they mean like real Turkey or is lunch meat okay.

I don’t see why you couldn’t have lunch meat... if you’re still on purées you’d still have to purée it.

8 minutes ago, Jnfinney said:

I don’t see why you couldn’t have lunch meat... if you’re still on purées you’d still have to purée it.

Ooh no I meant on the soft food diet. The dietician said chicken, Turkey, fish and eventually lean ground beef were okay and after I hung up I thought wow I can’t make a whole Turkey for just me. Even a breast cause it won’t be moist enough left over. Thank you though.

Edited by ShoppGirl

22 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Ooh no I meant on the soft food diet. The dietician said chicken, Turkey, fish and eventually lean ground beef were okay and after I hung up I thought wow I can’t make a whole Turkey for just me. Even a breast cause it won’t be moist enough left over. Thank you though.

7D94143A-8349-4AC1-A894-0BECE5F48DCC.jpeg