Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does restriction feel like?

I'm a SPED para and since September been doing small group and hybrid days. I've been taking Protein Drinks and occasionally a small, cold snack because my breaks were 8 to15 minutes if I was lucky. I don't waste time with a microwave. Eat what you can in your break time and wait 30 min. then drink the Protein to stay full and meet your macros. I'd take a cheese stick wrapped in meat, or low carb veggies, or frozen berries. Depending on your tolerance you can have some cold chicken, a hard-boiled egg, cheese chunks and nuts (allergen aware), Jerky, or the old standby, a Protein Bar.

3 hours ago, ms.sss said:

There is probably some truth to that. I'm pretty much a grazer now at 2.5+ years out.

Me too, bigtime.

3 hours ago, Tim C said:

I can tell when I am approaching full and want to stop before I get there. I have not overeaten yet.

Trust me, I only did it once. It was absolutely miserable. After that, I learned to pick up on the more subtle "fullness" cues I got after surgery.

4 hours ago, ms.sss said:

There is probably some truth to that. I'm pretty much a grazer now at 2.5+ years out.

But it would have been pretty challenging for me to finish eating a "meal" in under 30 mins back then. Even now, It takes me about 45 mins to an hour to finish a "normal" meal for me (longer if there's lots of talking). If I eat too fast, I'll barf, so its necessary for me to eat slow.

I've been a grazer almost from the beginning. I eat about 6 mini-meals throughout the day. It just comes naturally. Eating a full meal is slow and uncomfortable for me. About the closest I come to a regular meal is eating a can of Soup. Because my appetite is a lot less frequent and also less urgent, so far I haven't found myself overeating. Just eating a small snack every two hours or so.

One advantage of eating this way is that I almost never come close to testing the boundaries of my restriction at all.

Edited by Jaelzion

9 minutes ago, Jaelzion said:

I've been a grazer almost from the beginning. I eat about 6 mini-meals throughout the day. It just comes naturally. Eating a full meal is slow and uncomfortable for me. About the closest I come to a regular meal is eating a can of Soup. Because my appetite is a lot less frequent and also less urgent, so far I haven't found myself overeating. Just eating a small snack every two hours or so.

One advantage of eating this way is that I almost never come close to testing the boundaries of my restriction at all.

I assume my eating will be similar to yours when I am fully recovered, Jaelzion. I tend to get hungry mid-morning and in the afternoon (3-4 pm ish). A string cheese, serving of fruit, or serving of beef Jerky are all I need, though.

Yep, this is my feeling of full....actually its over-full. My goal is always to finish eating before I reach this point. I am successful maybe 80% of the time.
You are so right...my dietician and surgeon have said over and over, eat until satisfied rather than feeling full

On 3/29/2021 at 4:04 PM, Jnfinney said:

Thank you @ms.sss. It is super hard to tell how much I can eat when I just started being able to eat food!

I agree I can’t tell when I’m full and I also get the same feeling. Some days I feel like I’m never full. I’m so lost. Tomorrow starts purée for me

I am on the pureed/liquid diet too I had Gastric Bypass 6 days ago. I have been relying on the 2-4 tablespoons measurements. I only had one time wherr I felt some pressure in my chest I think that was a full feeling.