Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you pee differently?

I’m not talking frequency. I mean has the signal you need to pee changed & has how you pee changed. I need some insight ladies.

Since my surgery, I’ve noticed the signal to pee has jumped that gentle nudge stage to the I better go pee & sometime straight to the I need to per NOW stage. I’ve also noticed that my bladder doesn’t fully empty & that there’s sometimes more after a couple of seconds & I think I’m finished - & I’m not talking drips.

Is this a post surgery thing, like would they have inserted a catheter during surgery & it’s messed things up? Is it, god forbid, an age thing. Or is it just me? I’ve never had children so that’s not the reason.

I think it's age. I know I used to almost NEVER get up in the middle of the night to "go", and now I do at least once - and usually twice. I was telling some other friends in their 60s about it, and they just laughed - they said welcome to seniorhood...

p.s. although a catheter might affect things initially, at two years out, no...

Edited by catwoman7

At 49, I know where all the bathrooms are. I pee my pants when I cough if I don't cross my legs like a vise. LOL

I agree with catwoman about the catheter. First few weeks, maybe. This far out, nope.

Maybe get checked for a UTI? Or just have a uninalysis done. The difference in mineral supplementation could concievably contribute to a bladder stone situation...so it couldn't hurt to err on the side of caution and get it checked out, no?

Best wishes.

If they did a urinary catheter during your surgery, the biggest risk factor is infection. Damage to the structures during catheterization is very rare; possible, but rare.

What you're describing sounds like 2 things/2 different symptoms: Urinary urgency and Urinary retention (the not feeling like you're emptying, then having to "go" more). You should see a doctor for both. Get checked for a urinary tract infection. Both can be symptoms of a urinary tract infection (among other things).

My experience: They did not insert a urinary catheter for my surgery (I know, I asked). But, within about a month after surgery, my urinary issues were better. Before surgery, I dribbled and would easily wet myself if I coughed, sneezed, or laughed too hard. No amount of Kegels seemed to help. After surgery, I no longer dribbled and I these days it's pretty rare for me to have issues with coughing/sneezing/laughing.

K, my pee journey was/is a little weird (not sure how much is wls-related or age...)

Pre-wls, I peed all the time. I could not hold it for very long once I felt the urge, and I wold get up 3-4 times a night to go (I drank lots of liquids all day long).

Post-wls, I developed what I affectionately called my new-found peeing superpower. I could sleep the entire night without having to go once. I could hold my pee for HOURS. I remember going on a 5-6 hour flight about a year post-op and both me and Mr. marvelled at how I didn't visit the bathroom once (a flight of this duration would usually call for a visit to the toilet every hour). I still drank lots all day long.

No...post-POST-wls (2.5 years out now), I've noticed that my peeing frequency has increased in the past 6-9 or so months. I don't pee as much as pre-wls, but way more than I did that first year or so. I also notice that once I feel the need to go, I need to go...I can't hold it as long as soon as I acknowledge it. I dunno if its become psycho-sematic, because I also notice that if I go by a toilet, I just feel like I should go since I'm there, and I actually can. Sometimes it's just drips, but I still go nonetheless. I still don't need to get up in the middle of the night, so I don't think its too much of an issue. I still drink lots all day long.

P.S. Oddly enough, I used to pee a little if I coughed or sneezed pre-wls, but no longer since the weight loss.

P.P.S. I also often don't feel like I've fully emptied my bladder...but this is also a recent thing (past 6-9 months)

After any procedure or surgery , I can barely control when and how fast I needed to be in a bathroom. It however always normalizes in time.

(I also noticed if I’m circling the edge of a UTI, I have the same frequency issues so these days I take D mannose if I think one is coming on. It solves the issue pretty instantly)

I am down 65 lbs. since surgery in mid-December. I had lost 50 prior to that. Since surgery, I no longer have to get up in the night to pee. I assume (although I have no idea if I'm correct) is that losing weight has taken pressure off of my bladder. I also have much less stress leaking from coughing or sneezing (and I'm at the age where that was a real thing). I go less frequently in general. But when I go, boy is there a lot (I'm sure because I am not going as frequently). Prior to losing any weight, I was getting frequent UTIs. That stopped with losing the first pounds.

I don't know medically but it would make sense to me that losing weight in your abdomen could take some pressure off your bladder and change the way you pee. For example leaning forward slightly while peeing helps compress and fully empty your bladder, your abdomen may have been applying that pressure on it's own. So that relief for some may cause less urge to go or just change the way the signaling feels. Again, definitely not a doctor but it feels like it makes sense.

This has been becoming more frequent since the surgery so nothing new & not an uti. Never had or have an issue with coughing or sneezing incontinence - not having given birth definitely helps with delaying that. OMG it may be an age thing. 🤣

I always was a frequent night pee-er. Partially because I drank more Water at night after I got home from work as I was often so busy I didn’t have the opportunity to drink or pee much during the day. Not uncommon for me to go 4-6 times a night & more frequently during the day as well now.

It’s just weird. But I do like @JDLane’s suggestion about not having weight pressuring my bladder anymore. Maybe I just have to relearn my signals.

Maybe, my bladder doesn’t empty as well because of a slight prolapse??? Looks like a chat with my GP is needed.

Thanks everyone. 🙂

I used to have to pee ALL THE TIME. I peed before we left the house and usually still ended up going wherever we went. I woke up numerous times a night. After the surgery though it was one of the first things I noticed that changed. I make it all the way through the night, though about dawn I do have to go. I can make it through plane trips and car rides without needing to go. I will say that when I have to go it comes on kind of suddenly and it's difficult to hold it for very long. My husband and I have a theory (he is diabetic) that prior to the weightless/eating changes my blood sugar must have been a factor in why I had to go so often. Also, the decreased pressure in my abdomen with all the loss must be helping.

Yes! I used to feel more of an urge lower down by my urethra, but now I just feel like my bladder is full. IDK why. I noticed it after surgery.

Christina J, same frequency issues with me too, now different. I think your husband might be on to something with his theory.

Also, now that I have a CPAP for sleeping, I only wake once a night to pee rather than 3 or more. So much better!

I used to have to pee ALL THE TIME. I peed before we left the house and usually still ended up going wherever we went. I woke up numerous times a night. After the surgery though it was one of the first things I noticed that changed. I make it all the way through the night, though about dawn I do have to go. I can make it through plane trips and car rides without needing to go. I will say that when I have to go it comes on kind of suddenly and it's difficult to hold it for very long. My husband and I have a theory (he is diabetic) that prior to the weightless/eating changes my blood sugar must have been a factor in why I had to go so often. Also, the decreased pressure in my abdomen with all the loss must be helping.
I've experienced almost the exact same thing. I sleep through the night now and I can actually pee before we leave the house and not have to go again when we arrive at our destination.
I was not diabetic, but I was right at the beginning of being borderline, and your husband could be right in his theory!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m not talking frequency. I mean has the signal you need to pee changed & has how you pee changed. I need some insight ladies.
Since my surgery, I’ve noticed the signal to pee has jumped that gentle nudge stage to the I better go pee & sometime straight to the I need to per NOW stage. I’ve also noticed that my bladder doesn’t fully empty & that there’s sometimes more after a couple of seconds & I think I’m finished - & I’m not talking drips.
Is this a post surgery thing, like would they have inserted a catheter during surgery & it’s messed things up? Is it, god forbid, an age thing. Or is it just me? I’ve never had children so that’s not the reason.

Urinary incontinence. Go to a urologist. I went to one before surgery. I had botox injections in my badder, which worked for a while. My urologist is the reason I had the surgery. He said if I didn't have it, the incontinence would never get better. I hadn't even considered weight loss surgery before. And the thing that makes it worse for me (and no doctor has heard of it), is milk. I went to an allergist before and she said I didn't have an allergy to it, but I've done the food diary and that is definitely what makes it 90% worse!

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app