Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Herbals After Bypass

I know this may be a sensitive topic but I wanted some feedback if anyone has any. Does anyone smoke weed or consume edibles after Bypass? I know that both have helped me with my anxiety, insomnia and stress especially over the past two years with the loss of my Dad. It’s not a daily habit but I wanted to know if that part of my life is now over? I stopped all that activity about 6 weeks prior to surgery to be safe.

All feedback is welcome and appreciated.

You really CAN talk to your doctor about this. They're not going to report anything and they will answer your questions honestly.

I live in a legal state, and I like pot once in a while. I didn't try it again until two years after surgery (sleeve, not bypass), and I only do it once in a blue moon...but I've had no issues, with one exception....it does make me want to mindlessly snack and chocolate and grapes taste INCREDIBLE while on it (the flavor and satisfaction of certain foods is tremendously amplified)...LOL...so, I really have to watch the snacking! That might be enough of a problem that doctors discourage it?

They do make the THC transdermal Patches. Maybe something like this could help you even if they don't want it in your digestive tract for the first year? But again...the munchies are not something you want while healing, or during loss phase....so it might be more defeating than helpful.

Please talk to your doctor. I'm sure s/he has heard the question before and won't think it's any big deal. Best advice on this will come from professionals.

Edited by Creekimp13

I agree that it would probably be a bad idea during the weight loss phase and even worse idea during healing phase. If your anything like me you may not be able to control the cravings and you could hurt yourself. But I’m sure Down the road that won’t be an issue but there may be another medical reason to not do it. I would ask your doctor just in case.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I’m going to hold off for now but ask my doctor. I have a vacation in September and I plan on enjoying myself so hopefully by then I’ll be able to lol

21 minutes ago, Marie2021 said:

Thanks so much for the feedback. I’m going to hold off for now but ask my doctor. I have a vacation in September and I plan on enjoying myself so hopefully by then I’ll be able to lol

Hi Marie,

I actually just posted about this! I am only 8 weeks out and I had an edible on vacation. It was kind of nuts for me. I felt it intensely. I didn't really like it and I had a small piece. But for reference, I don't really take edibles often. I ate a lot and slept a lot on them. I feel like if I took them often it would definitely slow my progress.

I talked to my surgeon about this topic. I have MS, and it does wonders for the painful muscle spasms I tend to get. We are a medical marijuana state, so it’s legal. He just said, stop using about a week before surgery and wait about six weeks to start back and definitely not while on pain killers. They also don’t want me vaping.

Odds are you will not be the first person to ask you doctor. The are your best source of info about this. But I agree with @Creekimp13 . The munchies are definitely not your friend (or mine) during the losing phase. Best of luck.

I have a 1:1 CBD/THC gummie most nights for sleep. Works wonders. Since I have it just before bed no issues with munchies. My PCP knows and is fine with it, haven’t mentioned it to my WLS surgeon. However, I’ve surpassed her goal weight for me so I assume she wouldn’t care.

I really appreciate all the advice. I’m off pain meds but I’m having a horrible time sleeping and I know that’s helped me before. I’ll hold off until the six week mark to try anything.