Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein drinks make me nauseous

I am almost 2 weeks post op. I am finding that all Protein Drinks make me nauseous to the point where I usually can’t even finish them. I’m not even getting close to my Protein goal because of this. So, I’m really at a loss. If I drink the Protein Shakes, I get nauseous. If I don’t drink the protein shakes, I get shaky and nauseous. Any help? I see my dietician Tuesday.

Have you tried Protein hot cocoa? I found that much easier to drink than cold Protein Shakes. A lot of people like to use protein shakes as coffee creamer (caramel shakes work well for this). Have you tried clear protein, like Syntrax Nectar? That's more like juice than a shake, so you might find it more tolerable. You can also try protein Soups, or mixing unflavored Protein Powder into regular Soup.

Are you allowed to have purees yet? If so, you can mix unflavored protein powder into almost anything pureed. (I prefer to use flavored protein powders with sweet purees like yogurt, pudding, applesauce, oatmeal, etc. and unflavored in savory foods like refried Beans, mashed cauliflower, soup, etc.).

Yasso bars and whipped greek yogurt helped me. Soups made with Bone Broth could be a nice change. Two weeks out, my favorite things were cream of wheat and thinned refried Beans or thinned mashed potatoes or pureed potatoe Soup. Plant protien in beans and potatoes made a nice break from all the milk protien in the shakes. Some nutritionists will frown on carbs, however. Mine did not.

Wishing you the best.

Thank you for the suggestions. I am still on the liquid phase of my diet, so I’m not sure about the Greek yogurt and other things until Tuesday. Everything else I eat/drink does not make me sick, but Protein drinks just make my stomach churn for some reason.

I could only drink the Protein Shakes really cold over ice. have you tried that or mixing it with milk so it's thinner and less sweet? You can try Protein Water (sold at Walmart and other grocery stores). Others loved them but they had a slight dry/chalky after taste so poured over a lot of ice helped and I could drink it that way.

You can also buy Fairlife skim milk that has more protein. I had to play a mental game initially to get enough protein and would pour 2 ounces in a shot glass and make myself take a sip after playing a game on my phone so I would sip and after 10-15 minutes I got that 2 ounces drank. I would also do it while watching TV and made my self drink the 2 ounces shot glass half way between every set of commercials. That way it didn't seem too overwhelming.

Greek yogurt also has a lot of protein that you may be able to blend with milk so it's not as thick.

6 hours ago, Jnfinney said:

I am almost 2 weeks post op. I am finding that all Protein Drinks make me nauseous to the point where I usually can’t even finish them. I’m not even getting close to my Protein goal because of this. So, I’m really at a loss. If I drink the Protein Shakes, I get nauseous. If I don’t drink the Protein shakes, I get shaky and nauseous. Any help? I see my dietician Tuesday.

I too had this problem. Blend with ice in a bullet and just drink half at a time. It makes it easier.

so sorry, full liquid stage is hard enough without your main food source making you sick. A few ideas for you to consider (if you haven't already)

• thinning the Protein Shake or using them to thin greek yogurt.
  • bariatric Protein Soups and protein hot cocoas (you can get them on Amazon).
  • using plain GENEPRO - it is nearly taste and textureless - in a cup of tea, juice, or milk. FYI - there is some controversy on the genepro claim of how much protein is in a serving. At my dietician's advice I half the protein they claim to have in a serving just to be safe.
  • Adding powdered milk to milk to make a higher Protein Drink, especially if you use fairlife milk which is already higher in protein.
  • making popsicles out of the Protein Shakes, maybe having them as a frozen meal will make a difference?

Thanks everyone. I’m going to look into Protein hot cocoa. I already have GENEPRO on hand, so I’ll start using some more of that. I’ve been sipping on my protein Water as well. I might just stick to my Fairlife milk until Tuesday because the protein drink I had today actually made me vomit ☹️