Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Travel after surgery

How soon after getting the sleeve done is traveling safe? My surgery is scheduled in June (unless someone cancels and I can get in earlier!) and we have a graduation trip planned for my child in July which will require a 2 hour drive. We have rented a small house for four days in an area with lots of hiking. Based on what I have heard, I understand that long, strenuous hikes are likely not going to be a good idea. So, we are currently planning some short day trips to the surrounding trails with flat surfaces/terrain which will still allow us to see some of the beautiful sites in the area. I talked to my husband about postponing my surgery, but, he knows how long I have worked towards this and doesn't want me to put it off. His perspective was worst case scenario he would take one of our kids with him on one of the more strenuous trails and I could hang out at the house and rest/do low key things with our other child. Does this sound feasible?

(This is assuming everything goes smoothly during surgery, recovery is going well and my surgeon is ok with it.)

Lots of people fly or drive to other countries to have surgery and fly or drive back a day or two later. As far as hiking you’ll know how well you feel at that point and your planning for contingencies either way sounds perfect. I definitely wouldn’t worry about a two hour drive a month after. I drove five hours home the day after and it wasn’t an issue at all. I wasn’t super comfortable but it didn’t hurt any more than just sitting in a chair or anything like that.

Just to add… it also depends on where you’re at now comfort wise. I’d say that a month after I would have been as capable of doing anything as before surgery. What I’m getting at is if you’re unable to hike today because of your weight don’t expect that to drastically change in a month post-op but if you’re getting around fine now you’ll likely be pretty close to the same a month out.

Oh sorry to add one more thing lol…. Keeping hydrated would likely be your biggest concern, so pre-drink and definitely use something like a camelbak or something where you can easily take lots of small sips frequently. That is unless your doctor considers camelbak to be a straw and they’re illogical and tell you no straws (pet peeve of mine).

34 minutes ago, NewMe_2021 said:

How soon after getting the sleeve done is traveling safe? My surgery is scheduled in June (unless someone cancels and I can get in earlier!) and we have a graduation trip planned for my child in July which will require a 2 hour drive. We have rented a small house for four days in an area with lots of hiking. Based on what I have heard, I understand that long, strenuous hikes are likely not going to be a good idea. So, we are currently planning some short day trips to the surrounding trails with flat surfaces/terrain which will still allow us to see some of the beautiful sites in the area. I talked to my husband about postponing my surgery, but, he knows how long I have worked towards this and doesn't want me to put it off. His perspective was worst case scenario he would take one of our kids with him on one of the more strenuous trails and I could hang out at the house and rest/do low key things with our other child. Does this sound feasible?

(This is assuming everything goes smoothly during surgery, recovery is going well and my surgeon is ok with it.)

I don't think the two hour drive will be an issue. The hospital where I had my surgery was more than two hours away from my home and we made the drive on day 2 after surgery. Whether or not you'll be ready to go hiking in July is very much a YMMV kind of thing but you should be able to enjoy more restful activities with no problem (assuming all is well).

The travel shouldn’t be an issue (except from needing additional pee stops 😁). You may find your energy levels aren’t good enough for long hikes that soon after surgery but that will be an individual thing. You may have to watch lifting or carrying depending upon your surgeon’s advice & how many weeks post surgery you will be.

Keep hydrated. Add some electrolytes to your fluids like hydralyte for an energy boost. Follow you plan. Listen to your body. it will tell you what you’re able to do.

Congratulations on having a surgery date & your child’s graduation. Have a great trip.

I just traveled by car for 5.5 hours on Friday and returned home Sunday night and I had sleeve surgery 3 weeks ago. I had no issue. I packed my own cooler with my foods. Stayed hydrated and stayed on track with my food. It was nice to see my daughter and other than a small nap on Saturday. All was great!