Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey March surgery folks

I had my surgery yesterday, 3/22 and I’m feeling great right now, the morning afterward. I am enjoying “taking it easy”. I arrived at hospital at 5:30 am, surgery was at 8:00 am. I was in the car heading home at 12:30. Such a smooth seamless event. I walked around the hospital floor, sipped 4 oz. of Water, and breathed good enough into the breath blower thing, that I was allowed to come home. Pain has been minimal. The worst was the CO2 pumped into abdomen—it moved to my chest, but walking around the house yesterday, once an hour for 15 minutes helped. Today, I feel tenderness in my abdomen area and some slight discomfort around the punctures.

There is a lot to coordinate here from home, so it was nice to have my daughter as a helper yesterday afternoon and evening: ice packs on the puncture sights (very small), sipping water from shot glasses to try to get at least 40 oz in the first day. Also, you need to take medications at intervals. I am NOT on opioids or narcotics. The pain protocol used is called ERAS: Enhanced Recovery After Surgery. I was skeptical but I highly recommend it.

I found it helpful to suck on popsicles as part of my water requirement yesterday, and Bone Broth. Aiming to avoid the complication of dehydration. This morning I am trying a small glass of my usual a morning cold brew (without the almond milk) and it seems like life’s biggest treat. There is conflicting information about whether or not you can have caffeinated drinks, but I’m giving it a try. I will try a smoothie tomorrow or the next day. .l/;’

I hope all the other newbies are doing OK. Let me know how you are.

Edited by SistaSha

I had surgery on 3/15 and other than some of the left shoulder pain I was warned about as a possibility, I am doing well. Sick of Protein Shakes but not on the ledge or anything. Walked on treadmill 30 minutes Saturday, going back toy & even getting a much needed mani pedi as I text this! PLUS, I get my Covid vax tomorrow so LIFE IS PRETTY DAGGUM GOOD! Hope all is going smoothly with yay!

^^^ Y’all

@ruthpets my surgery was also 3/15 and I went out and got a mani/pedi the weekend after! It was such a nice treat for myself!

I had a Vsg revision to bypass on 03/23 I’m feeling okay there’s more pain this time around. I am able to sip liquids okay but the purée are not sitting to well. They’re waiting on signs that my bowels are active again then I should be discharged.Good luck and speedy recovery to all March Surgeries 😊😊

I just had my surgery this past Monday, 3/29. Mine was in the afternoon so I didn't really wake up fully from anesthesia til sometime in the middle of the night, but got right up and walked around the floor. I was so thirsty and had the driest mouth, but fortunately I had no problem at all with Water. I went home the next day after drinking my Protein Shake without issue. I have had some soreness on my right side but if I stay on top of Tylenol and advil, I've been comfortable for the most part. I'm still tolerating fluids and shakes ok, but find sometimes I drink too fast and will get a spasm. I do have an rx for spasms, but I think I really just need to slow down. I'm drinking 2 Protein Shakes a day and getting my fluids in. I feel mostly fine, but I am still a little tired and have to remember I'm still healing and to take it easy. I am very encouraged having lost 19 lbs between my preop diet and my surgery.

I had my surgery March 30th. I am suffering from a lot of upper GI gas, belching, and discomfort. I take the Gas-X and I drink Water. I walk the recommended amount of 15 mins every hour.

I was the first patient of my date group to be up and walking and I haven't changed my mindset from that, but the gas and belching is becoming unbearable.

Any recommendations of what to eat, because I'm a picky eater and baked fish and canned tuna has not been doing it for me. I was finally able to tolerate 1 egg that was divided into Breakfast and lunch today.

Not sure how picky of an eater you may be, but are you at the hummus stage? Also, I was getting sooooo sick of sweet stuff that I made a non-fat strained version of tsaziki yogurt to satisfy my need for savory and it was really good. Maybe thinned out turkey chili? Again not sure where you are in your surgeon’s food stage intros nut sure this helps!

wishing you much success! Feel good!

Had my surgery on 3/9. Down 20lbs. Was in hospital for a day. I had some pain with my larger incision, but other then that everything went great. Sick of Protein Shakes. Premiere Protein has clear Protein Drinks that are ok. I was a able to do pureed food after a week.
I use my nutribullet to liquefy any Soup with meat, noodles, rice..etc. It was nice to be able to switch thing up and not drink shakes all the time. Starting soft foods tomorrow, cant wait. Cant wait to have my one cup of regular coffee too.

Good luck to everyone.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

14 hours ago, ruthpets said:

Not sure how picky of an eater you may be, but are you at the hummus stage? Also, I was getting sooooo sick of sweet stuff that I made a non-fat strained version of tsaziki yogurt to satisfy my need for savory and it was really good. Maybe thinned out turkey chili? Again not sure where you are in your surgeon’s food stage intros nut sure this helps!

wishing you much success! Feel good!

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm so afraid of what i can and cannot eat. I am at the soft foods and puree stage, which i think is stage II.

Yes i ambalsobvery sick of the sweet stuff.

Have you tried the Meal Replacement chicken Soup?

Hi!

Congrats on your surgery.

I had the sleeve surgery on March 10th. I wish I found this forum earlier to learn everyone's experience as I went through it. But I'm glad I found it now.

I'm a little over 1 month post op, Still struggling with stomach discomfort after eating but happy I did the surgery,