Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you pick such a high goal weight? Your BMI is STILL overweight!

I find this, dare I say, obsession with feeling judged interesting.

I suspect many of us have indeed been judged for our weight by family, friends, strangers, and perhaps most of all by ourselves. We couldn't even cut ourselves a break.

So, we decide to take the drastic step of rearranging our innards to finally take control of our bodies.

We research the options and one thing leading to another we find a forum like this that offers support and fellowship of like minded folks with similar experiences and hopes.

Here are people that get it.

But, we are on sensitive ground. Our experiences tell us protect ourselves. We look for the attack history says is coming.

And we feel judged.

If we could just grant folks the benefit of charitable thought. That they, like me, care. That they, like me, want to help.

It will be a more pleasant experience if we can just believe our interlocutors, like ourselves, are good people.

2 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

I find this, dare I say, obsession with feeling judged interesting.

I suspect many of us have indeed been judged for our weight by family, friends, strangers, and perhaps most of all by ourselves. We couldn't even cut ourselves a break.

So, we decide to take the drastic step of rearranging our innards to finally take control of our bodies.

We research the options and one thing leading to another we find a forum like this that offers support and fellowship of like minded folks with similar experiences and hopes.

Here are people that get it.

But, we are on sensitive ground. Our experiences tell us protect ourselves. We look for the attack history says is coming.

And we feel judged.

If we could just grant folks the benefit of charitable thought. That they, like me, care. That they, like me, want to help.

It will be a more pleasant experience if we can just believe our interlocutors, like ourselves, are good people.

TGF, the benevolent part of me knows there is a lot of wisdom in what you say.

The smaller, ego-centric part of me asks: How hard is it for someone to just say "Wow!!! You look so happy and healthy!! GOOD for you!!"????? I mean, I generally try my best to weigh what I before I speak to people, why can't others extend the same courtesy?

But, that being said, I *am* aware that I can definitely be über-sensitive at times, so...🤷🏼‍♀️

On 3/24/2021 at 7:17 AM, BigSue said:

Well... I basically hate everything about exercising. I hate spending time on it. I hate getting sweaty. I hate the way it feels. I hate exerting myself. I've always hated exercise and I'm pretty sure I always will. I have never been able to understand people who claim to enjoy exercise. I can't even believe it because it makes zero sense to me. I go for exercise I can do at home because the gym is just about my worst nightmare (plus, I live in a rural area, so I'd have to drive a long way just to get to a gym), but even working out at home sucks.

I highly doubt I would find any exercise "fun," but I have thought about getting a stationary bike with the idea of being able to watch TV while I work out. One of the things I hate about exercise is having to spend time on it. When I do the workout videos, I have to watch and listen to the videos, so I can't really be watching or listening to anything else at the same time. But even with exercise bikes, the popular ones are based on classes where you're supposed to follow the workout on the screen. Plus, they are expensive and take up a lot of space.

I hate everything about exercise too. Being sweaty, exertion, etc. I have a treadmill now and I was using it every day while watching TV until I got an overuse injury (bursitis) in my hip. I would highly recommend getting an exercise bike/elliptical/treadmill you can use in front of the TV to distract yourself, but don't go from never to doing it every day like I did! Also, I was doing an incline so I could get my hr up. Yeah, should have paced myself lol!

The other thing I like is hiking with family for vacation. I like hiking with my parents because they are 70 yrs old so they are as slow as me. I like hiking because I can just stop and take pictures, and every hike is beautiful (well, most of them!). We do easy hikes with not too much elevation because my dad and I are scared of heights.

I could never do a class Like Peloton where you are competing with other people or a gym where the trainer is shouting motivational things at you. Let me just enjoy my tv or the pretty surroundings and I'll tolerate my body moving! (PS - you can get a regular exercise bike that's NOT a peloton!)

Edited by lizonaplane
word-o

My surgeon actually set my goal weight to 168 pounds which is overweight but said he would be happy with anything under 200. Been maintaining 145 for the last 4 months. My surgeon is pretty happy with that. I lost far more than what he expected me to lose and more than I expected to lose. I had a 54.1 BMI so no interested in being super thin. If I can maintain here at a 24.9 BMI long term I will be thrilled. The goal of surgery was for me to be able to be more physically active without pain. I hike and bike with my kids now. I have so much loose skin though.