Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many calories should you consume 5 weeks out?

I was reading an old posts regarding calorie requirements after gastric bypass. I am five weeks post op and can eat 800 calories a day. I get 100 grams of Protein and all my Water in. My carbs are staying at 20 or less. My weight loss feels slow although overall I’m not really sure it is. Maybe my expectations are right. I started at 257 day of surgery and five weeks out i have lost 22 lbs. I haven’t always followed the diet above. Early on I ate much more carbs but last week upped my protein and cut my carbs. Fats also increased of course and this caused some increase in calories.

The past post I read were encouraging people to eat more calories and even to get up to 1000 as soon as possible and stay low carb and weight would come off. People also encouraged it bc it helps your metabolism they said which helps with the weight loss.

But I am still afraid my calories are too high and feel weird bc I can eat much more than the two tablespoons my nurse told me I should be eating at means. But if I ate like she said I’d definitely take in way less that 800 calories a day.

also thought 320 of my calories are still from Protein Shakes. So like around 500

calories is food. What are thoughts around this?

22 lbs in five weeks is very normal. Most people lose about 15-25 lbs during the first month (of course, you'll always find some who lose more or less than that, but most of us are somewhere in that range) - so you're fine.

I think I was at 700-800 calories a day from about months 2-8, so your calories should be fine. There are a few surgeons who like their patients at a higher calorie level, but it seems most of us are somewhere in the 600-800 range for the first few months (after we get to the solid food stage, that is - which for most of us is around six weeks out). Also, not all programs are ultra-low carb, but if yours is, I'd follow that. Basically, there's quite a bit of variation among programs. The two things that most if not all programs stress, though, is getting at least 60 grams of Protein and at least 64 oz of Fluid.

I think most of us were told to focus on getting in our protein (at least 60 grams) and fluids (at least 64 oz) during those first few months, though, and not worry so much about calories.

As catwoman said, I wasn’t given a calorie target that early on. I was told 70-80g Protein per day, at least 80oz Fluid, and to keep my carbs grams less than my protein grams. After the protein and liquids there wasn’t room for much else. Looking back at my MyFitnessPal entries I averaged 600-750 cals over my first 4 months.

Ok. Thank you both. I initially didn’t want to do the low carbs but I am a type II diabetic and stopped meds right after surgery. My sugars for the first month were averaging like 130-150 and they said I’d they continue up to 150 I might end up back on meds. Being diabetic I don’t know that my body does so well with the carbs. At least not at this weight. Maybe if I get smaller I almost wouldn’t be a diabetic and it’d be different. But right now it makes sense about the carbs. Thank you! Your responses were very reassuring and helpful!

What did your medical team advise?

While there are similarities in our experiences we are also different & I’m not just referring to the surgery we have. We lose at different rates. We need different amounts of food to function & lose.... And there are many different medical plans out there even for the same surgeries. It can get really confusing. The important thing is to stick to the plan your team has recommended as closely as possible. If you feel you require more specific information about calories & macros recommendations contact your nutritionalist. They should help you to design a diet that fits your lifestyle.

Honestly, I was never given a caloric goal at any stage just 60g of Protein & low carb. But I was told about serving sizes. A quarter of a cup to begin increasing to a third over the first couple of months from puréed stage onwards. I never precisely counted calories every day but was conscious of the calorie content of the food I ate. I found once I got my protein in I couldn’t eat much else. I was consuming less than 500 calories for ages. Even less before I was on solid food. I wasn’t hungry & not really interested in eating. I can’t even imagine eating 1000 calories in those first 2 or 3 months even 6 months. I only eat about 1200 now but that’s me. I also never had another Protein Shake once I got to the purée stage. I got most of my protein from yoghurt. (30g in my drinking yogurt & it contributed to my fluid goals - double win!)

I don’t think you’re losing slowly at all either. At 5 weeks I’d lost about 12 kg (about 26lbs) so not that different really.

Congratulations on having your surgery & your loss so far. Good luck.

5 hours ago, Ms. D said:

The past post I read were encouraging people to eat more calories and even to get up to 1000 as soon as possible and stay low carb and weight would come off. People also encouraged it bc it helps your metabolism they said which helps with the weight loss.

Really the only person who should be encouraging you to up your calories at 5 weeks post-op is your doctor or nutritionist. You are losing weight at a good pace. You are getting your Protein in. And hopefully you are also getting in your daily Water requirement. In the first couple months that is all you should be worrying about. I wouldn't up your calories yet unless you are instructed to do so by your team. Your incisions are still healing.

What you are referring to is people giving guidance to folks who have stalled for long periods of time. You aren't there yet. And when you do stall (YOU WILL... ) you should stay your course for a while and wait it out. Everyone has a couple of "long" stalls. It is absolutely normal. And if you hit one and you feel it is going to long... talk to your team first and foremost. Now... down the road you may need to up calories at different times in this process, but don't do it too fast. Let our pouch do it's thing!

And yes... I too was told 60 grams of Protein and 64 ounces of Water. The 800 calorie goal was a couple months post op... although I can't remember exactly how long... Maybe 3-4 months post op?

6 hours ago, momof3_angels said:

Really the only person who should be encouraging you to up your calories at 5 weeks post-op is your doctor or nutritionist. You are losing weight at a good pace. You are getting your Protein in. And hopefully you are also getting in your daily Water requirement. In the first couple months that is all you should be worrying about. I wouldn't up your calories yet unless you are instructed to do so by your team. Your incisions are still healing.

What you are referring to is people giving guidance to folks who have stalled for long periods of time. You aren't there yet. And when you do stall (YOU WILL... ) you should stay your course for a while and wait it out. Everyone has a couple of "long" stalls. It is absolutely normal. And if you hit one and you feel it is going to long... talk to your team first and foremost. Now... down the road you may need to up calories at different times in this process, but don't do it too fast. Let our pouch do it's thing!

^^^^ I completely agree with this. Programs are different, people are different. Follow your medical team's instructions. I wouldn't do any "tweaking" unless they say to do it.

5 hours ago, OAGBPal said:

Hi there!

For input, my team has women on 1200 calories a day from Day 1, men 1400 a day from Day 1. They're firm believers that the body needs nutrition to work with you.

I'd like you to look at the quote above for a moment. We didn't get to WLS eating 800, 1800, or even 2800 calories a day. What's the rush? :) Be good to your body, and it'll be good to you. If you're worried about your progress, give your team a call.

Your doctor sounds like the exception and not the rule based on conversations I have had with many others. In the first couple months post-op, most don't even give a calorie goal simply because your body need time to heal and getting 1200 calories in a day in the first couple months is hard and not necessarily good for a stomach that has just been sutured together. Docs don't want you to push your body to eat 1200 calories when your stomach can only tolerate 600-900 calories. That said... the longer goal is usually around 1200 calories a day. 1200 calories a day was a pre-op and an eventual goal for many months out post op recommendation for me and those I know who have had bariatric surgery. But for most people, it seems to be a slow build to get to that 1200 calories a day goal. And that is OK post op. You aren't rushing the weight loss, you are allowing your body to heal while it just so happens that you are losing weight. And as long as you are getting your Protein and Water in, that is all that really matters in the first few months. My nutritionist never even batted an eye when I said all I was getting in was 800 calories a day, because she expected that. She DID worry about when I said I wasn't getting my protein and water in. Anyhow... this is exactly an example of why any post op patient should be seeking guidance first and foremost from their own surgical team. And not from others who's medical plans are individualized.

BTW... I had bariatric surgery and I NEVER ate 2800 or more calories a day ;) Maybe in a rare occasion... but not often.

Edited by momof3_angels

Ok. Thank you both. I initially didn’t want to do the low carbs but I am a type II diabetic and stopped meds right after surgery. My sugars for the first month were averaging like 130-150 and they said I’d they continue up to 150 I might end up back on meds. Being diabetic I don’t know that my body does so well with the carbs. At least not at this weight. Maybe if I get smaller I almost wouldn’t be a diabetic and it’d be different. But right now it makes sense about the carbs. Thank you! Your responses were very reassuring and helpful!

I appreciate everyone’s input. I do seek my doctors and nutritionists advice and input. However I am not someone who just only considers and follows what my doctor says. I also look up videos, read books, blogs, YouTube, Ted talks, research articles, and yes personal experiences. While my doctor and nutritionist may consider themselves experts on bariatric surgery they are not actually experts on me. I am the only expert on me. So if I come on to ask a question it is to gather additional information, insights, experiences, etc to add to the already existing information I have. And to use it to make the best overall decisions for my health and my life. I have seen people following diets their doctor gave them even though it made them throw up daily and they couldn’t even eat. They wouldn’t consider any other information and the doctor didn’t recommend a plan change or further follow up. There is room within reason to think for oneself. Again I literally appreciate every single person that would even take the time to respond to my question. But if your main point is I should be asking my doctor and no one else well I already asked my doctor and am now asking others lol.

24 minutes ago, Ms. D said:

I appreciate everyone’s input. I do seek my doctors and nutritionists advice and input. However I am not someone who just only considers and follows what my doctor says. I also look up videos, read books, blogs, YouTube, Ted talks, research articles, and yes personal experiences. While my doctor and nutritionist may consider themselves experts on bariatric surgery they are not actually experts on me.

This is one we can all agree with! Honestly... I am a nurse... I ALWAYS have to first remind people to work with their medical team. But I also like to caution people that not advise is created equal ;) Anyhow... none of us would be here if we didn't also want to do our own research. Your doctors/nutritionists should be the first person you go to for guidance after surgery... they are experts in their field.... but nothing wrong with seeing what others are doing!

9 minutes ago, OAGBPal said:

Yeah, no: you don't get to make a bunch of authoritative, normative statements on medical facts that will trigger self-doubt and disordered eating patterns for board members, and then take jabs like this. I've seen some very combative statements from you elsewhere, but you'll have to get up earlier to get me to fall for this one.

This.

People are making too much steep claims, talking in absolutes, then get all upset because not everyone is agreeing with them and then they try to take their claims back.

4 hours ago, OAGBPal said:

In America, yes. But I'm not American. Our European and Middle Eastern posters say they have plans that look like mine. Our results are excellent and there's no explosion in revision surgery over here.

How do you know? Again, the world is full of experiences, and we're here to share them.

Yeah, I keep hearing this. From people who were so good at consuming calories they had to have weight loss surgery ;) My prescription protein/nutrition drinks were 280 cals / 100 ml (that's 3.38 fl. oz.). I'm thinking it would be fairly easy to get to 1200 with those.

I chose a plan without them as I hated the taste of them, and instead did the liquid plan with Icelandic skyr with Protein Powder, OJ, SF chocolate milk and fruit porridge. It wasn't hard at all to get to 1400 cals. I lost 61 lbs in 60 days after surgery.

There's no stomach that can "only tolerate 600-900 calories". It may only be able to tolerate a certain volume of food, or a certain composition of macros and textures, but I really don't think our stomach has a specific number of calories in mind when it wakes up and checks its schedule for the day.

... is your experience :) Really, the US makes up just north of 4% of the world. Trust me, there's a lot of other ways to do, well, everything than how the US does it.

Yeah, no: you don't get to make a bunch of authoritative, normative statements on medical facts that will trigger self-doubt and disordered eating patterns for board members, and then take jabs like this. I've seen some very combative statements from you elsewhere, but you'll have to get up earlier to get me to fall for this one.

Wow.... offended much? And what exactly makes YOU an expert? LMAO The whole point of my post was to encourage the original poster to seek guidance from her HEALTH team. THEY are the experts :) And in my reply to you I said your doc SEEMS to be more of the exception than the rule. And exactly what AUTHORITATIVE comments did I make? I didn't tell anyone to do anything... but I did say in my posts (there were 3 of them... that the OP should consult their medical team. LMAO

"Yeah, I keep hearing this. From people who were so good at consuming calories they had to have weight loss surgery ;)" I especially love this sentence... I mean... Pot Calling the Kettle Black???? LMAO BTW.... my weight gain was caused by prolonged severe sleep apnea which caused a log of health issues... I took care of the sleep apnea and had weight loss surgery so I could regain my heart health. but go on making assumptions about people you have never met before!

Edited by momof3_angels

43 minutes ago, OAGBPal said:

I'd consider dialing it back a little, you seem to get into a bunch of fights here.

LMAO... what fights??? LMAO The only post I have responded negatively on was on my own post... when I initially stated I didn't need criticism replies and got them. I literally stated I don't want criticism and wasn't actually asking for any advise... I was posting to hold myself accountable with the plan I made for myself. But sure... believe I am starting fights if you want LMAO. Perhaps you need to be a bit less sensitive. Which is funny because I commented about your doctor and not about you. Oh well... moving on.