Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips for getting 64oz of water daily

Hi friends,

Surgery is coming up so appreciate any help as I have so many questions.

I work in a fast pace retail sales environment which has very little down time. Do you guys have any tips on how I can get my Water intake throughout the day.

I also heard the little medicine cup is the easiest to help the water get down, just wondering how long it takes everyone to get a 8oz glass of water down.

Thanks for all your help
Mark

Hi Mark,

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! I used a 32 oz water bottle from day 1, I just took small sips. I was fortunate to have 4 weeks off work after surgery, and what I did is anytime I saw someone drink on TV, or thought about it, I forced myself to take a sip, then after a day or 2, I took 2-3 sips and gradually increased based on what I tolerated. I was getting 64 oz easily within a week.

Once I went back to work, I always had my Water with me. Anytime I noticed the bottle, saw someone else drinking or thought about it I took a drink.

Now, my goal is 96 oz. I try to drink my first 32 by lunch, my second by 4, and the last before bed. Most days that works for me.

Good luck!

Lori

Very excited for you

I used the 16 Oz cups and made my goal to drink 2 of the before lunch and then the other 2 during the afternoon.

I also did better with a full Water bottle as long as I sipped at it all day long. The first 3 days I was proud of myself if I got 16 oz down, but I’m almost to 32 oz today and the day isn’t even over yet! Find what works for you.

It can be challenging to keep your Fluid intake up at work because you get so focussed on a task & an hour has gone before you know it & you haven’t by drunk. I found it easier to drink green or herbal teas. Something about the warmth made them easier to drink. Just reheat them as they cool. I also mixed up hydralite in my Water (a diluted mix as it can be sweet), Good energy boost as well as a change from plain water. Don’t forget things like soup/broths, drinking yoghurt, etc. all count as liquids. I took a small thermos flask of Soup to work. Got my nutrients in as well as some fluids.

I also kept a bottle of water next to my bed so I could sip whenever I woke which was 4-6 times a night. (You drink you pee 😆.) I still do. Every bit helps.

Congratulations on having a surgery date.

15 hours ago, Mark P3 said:

Hi friends,

Surgery is coming up so appreciate any help as I have so many questions.

I work in a fast pace retail sales environment which has very little down time. Do you guys have any tips on how I can get my Water intake throughout the day.

I also heard the little medicine cup is the easiest to help the Water get down, just wondering how long it takes everyone to get a 8oz glass of water down.

Thanks for all your help
Mark

Get in the habit of keeping your water bottle at hand ALL the time. You really do need to sip sip sip! I am a 18 months out and I still have days I struggle if I leave by bottle anywhere for any period of time. If you move around a lot you might want to get a shoulder sling water bottle holder or something similar. If anyone gives you a hard time in your work environment.... get a doctors not stating you have to have continuous access to fluids.

Medicine cup is useful during the first week... but I ditched it after that. I do recommend a water bottle with measurement markings on it so you can pay attention to your progress.

Other tips: Use ice chips, sugar free popsicles, zero calorie drinks like Vitamin water zero or propel or whatever your team recommends (they taste better cold). You can make sugar free slushies too if that works for you. Or warm tea, broth, or even warm water if that works better for you.

I agree with the previous posters. The first week/s out from surgery are the hardest an it will gradually improve as time goes on. I had surgery in November and can now drink about 20 ounces in 20 minutes. Definitely not like I could drink before surgery but I feel that I am at a reasonable pace now. When I am driving, I find it a great time to drink. I take a sip or two when I am at a red light or whenever I have a chance. I haven't been driving often but it has helped me to make sure I get my fluids in on days that I do drive a lot.

They also sell Water bottles with the little marks on them on Amazon for when your back to work. You should be past the medicine cup stage by then. I found that the clear Protein Drinks are great cause they meet two goals with one drink.

All of you guys are making me look bad. lol I’m 4 days post op and I’ll be lucky to get 16oz down it’s been a struggle for me but I haven’t been using my Water bottle. I’m going to try that.

2 minutes ago, JustJazzy said:

All of you guys are making me look bad. lol I’m 4 days post op and I’ll be lucky to get 16oz down it’s been a struggle for me but I haven’t been using my water bottle. I’m going to try that.

That’s about where I was at day 4. Hang in there!