Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WLS Veteran Back for Support

Hi!

It’s been YEARS since I was on this forum! I was very active from 2014-2016. Loved the support, hated the drama.

I had VSG in 2014 and although I was a bit on the slower side losing because I was considered a “lightweight” (ha) at my surgery weight of 235, I was very successful. My low weight was 142 for about 15 minutes, but after a little bounce weight of 10-12 pounds or so, I maintained there for several years and was even running! Me—running at almost 50 years old! I was a WLS success!

**Record screeching noise** not so fast.....

2018: On my Quest to stay active by finding new and fun activities, I decided to get on roller skates again at 51 years old. Let’s just say that didn’t turn out so well, and an almost debilitating neck injury happened. + 15 pounds.

2019: Strange, I’ve got blood in my pee? Lab work shows no UTI. Bladder cancer?? WTF? That’s an old man’s disease!
+ 10 pounds

2020: Do I even have to say it?? Oh, but I *did* manage to break my ankle in October walking my dog and was in a boot for 2 months. Also, I got Covid in December.  + 10 pounds

I’m not using life happening as excuses at all. I was fully unprepared to deal with my weight maintenance *when* life happened. It just goes to show how woefully unprepared I was with my emotional eating when the chips (along with my poor broken body) were down. I can only hope my experience can be a lesson to all either thinking about WLS, or are happily in the honeymoon phase of WLS and maintenance.

With a little pharmaceutical help from my Primary, I’m working on going back to basics and concentrate on healthier Protein and Fiber rich options to try to lose at least 25 pounds. It can be done. I’ve seen it.

Wish me luck! ❤️

Good luck! I hope things turn around for you!

Hang in there, there's lots of us vets here who struggled with regain and DID battle back. Get back to the basics, use the support and assistance your PCP offers. I found a bariatric support group far from my town, where they didn't know me, and began attending there. It really helped too. But, in these days of COVID I'm sure the in-person support groups are numbered. Lots of us 'old' vets still around here too. We'll help all we can.

I think your examples really show how life does happen, and how common regain is, as well as how normal it is! I was also a success story, keeping off most of everything I lost for years. But there were pockets of time, tragic life events that proved to be too much for me to cope with, and I hate to admit this, sent me spiraling into stress eating. When I was caring for my husband in his 50s with early onset dementia, and his subsequent death at 62, I actually made a conscious decision to just let my focus on my diet go. It really takes a lot of focus and energy for me to stay on track, and I just didn’t have that left. Then came dealing with grief and then pandemic....blah blah blah. The 5 and then 2 and then 10 pounds here and there really add up!!

Anyway, while I’m finding it very difficult to do, I agree with you, it possible to lose the regain. I’ve finally gone back to the way I ate when I lost the weight, (low calorie, low carb, high protein) and it is starting to come off. I really have to keep check on my expectations. I want to lose 2-3 pounds/week, and that’s just not going to happen for me. Remembering that time goes on either way and the 0.2 losses add up over time help to keep me focused.

Wishing you much success on your continued journey to health!

Oh my, you have hit a rough patch! Here's hoping that going forward you have nothing but good health news. It is so hard when things happen that our out of our control. Well.... we are happy to support you as you come out the other side! I suggest you get back to measuring and logging so you can evaluate where you are now and where you should be! Do you still have access to a nutritionist? That would be good too for extra guidance.

I know I won’t get down to my smallest again, and I’m okay with that. If I could just get back between 155-160 I’ll be a happy camper. I’ll keep on keeping on!

Lean Protein, shakes for Breakfast, and lots of fruits and veggies throughout the day. Amazing when you start eating less again how the restriction comes back. Even after 6.5 years I can utilize my tool! Pretty cool.

Never say never.. and good for you for knowing that it will take time and effort!!!!! I was on the board’s quite a bit in 2015 2016 as well. I said I would never stop exercising I said I’d know would never regain I said I would never be a know it all. Life is humbling. Still still stable weight but need muscle back. What RX are you using? Lots of support and admiration for you