Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCOS and sleeve success?

Hi, I have PCOS (as well as Type II diabetes and hypertension), with a BMI of just over 35. The surgeon recommended the sleeve for me. I hear some say bypass is better for PCOS, but I don't really want to do that, because of the risks. My fear, though, is not losing weight with the sleeve because of my PCOS, or hunger coming back to the extent that I end up going through all of this, only to gain back whatever weight I lose.

Also, I've heard that most people end up losing 50% of excess weight. Does that mean initially, or after the honeymoon period when many people gain some back?

I am in a very similar situation that you are in. I have pcos and high BP. I am done with my requirements just waiting in a date. I actually just asked the dietician these questions. She told me something I didn’t realize after all these years with PCOS. She said that I should try to be as dairy free as possible bc dairy causes inflammation with pcos. I was drinking Premier Protein shakes and she said stop bc those are dairy based. She recommended a really good plant based Protein Powder to mix with almond milk. Hope this help! Your not alone!

50 minutes ago, Elahnen said:

...............She said that I should try to be as dairy free as possible bc dairy causes inflammation with pcos..............

Hmmmm, interesting. Never knew that either and I too suffer from PCOS.

I have PCOS and got bypass 3 months ago. I’m currently 223 pounds, down 32 pounds from my highest weight (255 at 5’9”) and 24 pounds since surgery (247). I believe the slower loss is due to the PCOS. My hunger has been slight to nonexistent, and I’m really hoping the loss picks up, but I worry about being a failure. I don’t feel like I’ve had huge issues with any foods or dairy.

3 hours ago, Elahnen said:

I am in a very similar situation that you are in. I have pcos and high BP. I am done with my requirements just waiting in a date. I actually just asked the dietician these questions. She told me something I didn’t realize after all these years with PCOS. She said that I should try to be as dairy free as possible bc dairy causes inflammation with pcos. I was drinking Premier Protein shakes and she said stop bc those are dairy based. She recommended a really good plant based Protein Powder to mix with almond milk. Hope this help! Your not alone!

Interesting! I met with the nutritionist yesterday, and she seemed kind of clueless when I asked about plant-based Protein Shakes. I'm not totally dairy-free, but I limit it because it messes up my sinuses.

Curious to know what plant-based Protein Drinks and/or powders you like? I'm a little wary of plant-based powders, because they can be gritty...

I'm not sure if the 50% they quote is after the initial weight loss or if it factors in the 10-20 lb rebound weight a lot of us seem to gain after hitting bottom, although honestly, it's just an average. There are a lot of people who lose more or less than that. If you work hard and are really committed, you could lose more than that - and maybe a lot more than that...

The plant based Protein I like is the Vega vanilla protein. It isn’t gritty at all and has good taste. I haven’t tried any others yet.

8 hours ago, Katiebal_Lecter said:

I have PCOS and got bypass 3 months ago. I’m currently 223 pounds, down 32 pounds from my highest weight (255 at 5’9”) and 24 pounds since surgery (247). I believe the slower loss is due to the PCOS. My hunger has been slight to nonexistent, and I’m really hoping the loss picks up, but I worry about being a failure. I don’t feel like I’ve had huge issues with any foods or dairy.

Hopefully, it'll be slow and steady for you. I understand that worry, though...

5 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I'm not sure if the 50% they quote is after the initial weight loss or if it factors in the 10-20 lb rebound weight a lot of us seem to gain after hitting bottom, although honestly, it's just an average. There are a lot of people who lose more or less than that. If you work hard and are really committed, you could lose more than that - and maybe a lot more than that...

Thank you...that's good to keep in mind.

I spoke to the surgeon again today. She entered a ton of info into some kind of calculator, and I said I will probably end up around 160 (just an estimate, of course). She said, because of my PCOS, it may go more slowly. I hope I can lose more, but I would be happy with that, if I could maintain it.

On 3/18/2021 at 3:21 PM, SummerTimeGirl said:

Hmmmm, interesting. Never knew that either and I too suffer from PCOS.

I have PCOS too. Dairy increased the production of testosterone, and since people with PCOS already have elevated testosterone-its just not a good mix.

On 3/18/2021 at 1:44 PM, lunadreams said:

Hi, I have PCOS (as well as Type II diabetes and hypertension), with a BMI of just over 35. The surgeon recommended the sleeve for me. I hear some say bypass is better for PCOS, but I don't really want to do that, because of the risks. My fear, though, is not losing weight with the sleeve because of my PCOS, or hunger coming back to the extent that I end up going through all of this, only to gain back whatever weight I lose.

Also, I've heard that most people end up losing 50% of excess weight. Does that mean initially, or after the honeymoon period when many people gain some back?

I have PCOS also and from my understanding of what I read. It says that gastric bypass is better, but ultimately you have to get the surgery u feel is better for you. I switched from sleeve to bypass as a result. But I feel like bypass will be more beneficial to me as my main decider.

On 3/18/2021 at 2:29 PM, Elahnen said:

Wow thinks for pointing this out. I learned that my pcos is inflammatory. Which there are 4 kinds, so you have to know which category you fall under. But i always drink Premier Protein drinks. I will definitely stop.

On 3/18/2021 at 6:09 PM, catwoman7 said:

On 3/18/2021 at 6:09 PM, catwoman7 said:

The 50% is after a little regain for the average person. They consider you to be a success if you lose and keep off 50% of your excess weight. Most sleepers loose around 60% excess weight but gain back a little. That being said the actual range is very broad so it could be quite a bit more or less and I’m guessing these extremes are depending on how much effort you put into it.

Edited by ShoppGirl