Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone! I have my sleeve surgery scheduled for 3/30 so I’m doing my liquid diet, prepping for after and of course doing lots of reading.
After my endoscopy they told me I have a small hiatal hernia, which I’m assuming the surgeon will be fixing when he goes in and does the sleeve. I’ve read some commentaries around about people having some increased pain or nausea related to having a hernia repair done at the same time.
I know everyone only knows what you know - you either had just surgery or had a hernia repair as well, but in anyone’s experience does it seem like there is more pain or recovery needed when also having hernia repair?
For those of you that had surgery and a hernia done, what was your recovery like? Did it seem like you had added pain or nausea that you weren’t quite expecting?

Thank you!

I had both and nope - I have had no pain at all. I didn't even have that dreaded gas pain. I had small cramps that lasted 5 - 10 seconds and then nausea that lasted 10 - 15 seconds but that was it. I honestly questioned if the surgeons did anything - that was until I tried to drink and then it was like - oh yeah they did. Some mild soreness but nothing bad. I had no pain meds once I woke up and have not taken any pain meds at home. I do have a high tolerance for pain so maybe I am masking it? Good luck on your surgery. Hernia repair is very common with this surgery.

That’s so wonderful to hear, and I’m so glad that everything has gone well for you! It’s the experience and recovery we all hope for! Thank you!

I had a huge hernia cause I fell off a horse who refused a jump... and splatted like the coyote in a road runner cartoon. My diaphragm stomach hole was huge and half of my stomach was living in my chest. Was no fun....felt like I was drowning when I laid down flat....I thought this was because I was too fat. Turns out your lungs don't work as well with your stomach taking up space in your chest. My doctor was like...this is one of the biggest hiatal hernia's I've repaired, you're going to feel so much better!

And wow, was he right! After surgery, I could breathe without propping myself on a million pillows. No more acid relux. Huge improvement. I've often said, just to have the hiatal hernia found and fixed...this surgery was such a positive thing in my life. (beyond the other obvious perks)

As for recovery? I had one of the all time easiest recoveries. Woke up ready to move and spent most of the evening walking the halls in the unit. Never needed pain meds to speak of (I think they insisted I have one pain shot before going to sleep that night). I was never nauseated. Never vomited. I honestly could have done the surgery outpatient if it had been an option...it went so well. No trouble getting all my tiny little medicine cups full of fluids in.

One thing I want to make you aware of...is referred pain from your diaphragm being tugged on when they close the hole up. You very likely will feel this pain in your shoulder! How weird is that? It's just the way the nerves run from your diaphragm....you're likely to feel pain there as a deep horrible ache in your shoulder. I did have this referred pain, and walked around with an ice pack on my shoulder....which I know sounds completely mental....but it made me feel better. The shoulder pain went away after a few days and was never terrible enough to need to medicate. Just kinda of nagging, like pulled muscles.

There is no reason a hiatal hernia should cause any particular complications.

Good luck!

12 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

I had a huge hernia cause I fell off a horse who refused a jump... and splatted like the coyote in a road runner cartoon. My diaphragm stomach hole was huge and half of my stomach was living in my chest. Was no fun....felt like I was drowning when I laid down flat....I thought this was because I was too fat. Turns out your lungs don't work as well with your stomach taking up space in your chest. My doctor was like...this is one of the biggest hiatal hernia's I've repaired, you're going to feel so much better!

And wow, was he right! After surgery, I could breathe without propping myself on a million pillows. No more acid relux. Huge improvement. I've often said, just to have the hiatal hernia found and fixed...this surgery was such a positive thing in my life. (beyond the other obvious perks)

As for recovery? I had one of the all time easiest recoveries. Woke up ready to move and spent most of the evening walking the halls in the unit. Never needed pain meds to speak of (I think they insisted I have one pain shot before going to sleep that night). I was never nauseated. Never vomited. I honestly could have done the surgery outpatient if it had been an option...it went so well. No trouble getting all my tiny little medicine cups full of fluids in.

One thing I want to make you aware of...is referred pain from your diaphragm being tugged on when they close the hole up. You very likely will feel this pain in your shoulder! How weird is that? It's just the way the nerves run from your diaphragm....you're likely to feel pain there as a deep horrible ache in your shoulder. I did have this referred pain, and walked around with an ice pack on my shoulder....which I know sounds completely mental....but it made me feel better. The shoulder pain went away after a few days and was never terrible enough to need to medicate. Just kinda of nagging, like pulled muscles.

There is no reason a hiatal hernia should cause any particular complications.

Good luck!

That is so interesting, thank you for the tip! I'm so glad that the surgery and the hernia repair were so beneficial to you! I am definitely planning on bringing a heating pad to the hospital and having it at home after, maybe ill add an ice pack too. I hope that you continue to have a smooth and happy recovery!

Thanks for your question. I'm having both done at the same time as well and was wondering about increased levels of pain also. I posted a question a few weeks ago asking if those who had both had less acid reflux. That's my main hope. I fear the acid reflux that so many people comment about. Surgeon says fixing the hernia should prevent the reflux that some people experience after the sleeve surgery. I'm very hopeful.

OMG - you are so lucky!!!! The fact that your surgeon is proactively looking for the HH and going to repair it at the same time will save you years of VSG GERD suffering! (see my past posts) Upfront pain during recovery is a small price to pay when you consider the alternative. Your doc knows the consequence and is trying to save you from a future of intense pain.