Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mental health deterioration.

3 weeks post OP and having a hard time with life. I was never a binge eater but I miss eating without pain. I am hungry all the time and this pureed mush isnt doing anything for me. I detest about 90 percent of the foods I'm allowed. It still hurts to eat them and I just dont eat to avoid the pain and discomfort. I didn't know it was going to be this psychologically draining. I was so not prepared for how to handle this part. I'm whining and ranting maybe I should have posted this there. I would go for walks when everyone else was having dinner. The smell of food drives me crazy. I'm so hungry and so tired. Havent been able to take Vitamins. Water is hard to get down. I have a video appointment today. I just feel like giving up. I hear it will get better but right now I'm in a dark place. Sorry for ranting. I don't really have anyone to talk to about this stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m so sorry you’re having a hard time. I don’t have any advice or good ideas, but I just wanted to say that I think this is *exactly* the place to share.
And that there is a person thinking about you, and wishing good things and a peaceful heart for you.

When I was post op, I remember having head hunger all the time. But after a while it definately gets better, just hold on.

I hated pureed foods too so I went back to Soups.

With me skipping to eat the head hunger turns into some really painful gas physical hunger pangs. I was so happy to get off liquids I assumed pureed mush would be better. I was like yay eggs and tuna only to find eggs make me so sick and the smell of tuna makes me gag. I never thought about going back to broths for a bit. Maybe I'll try that. Just liquids hurts well as the mush. Less incision pain but inside so sore and tender. Thanks for sharing your experience. I appreciate the response.

Yeah week 4 I get to have alot more things. Just one more week of mush diet. But I dont know why everything still hurts even liquids. Small sips and 30 min between attempting to eat before drinking anything still feel like it's all so hard to go down. Mashed Beans and ground Turkey but only a spoonful before I'd have to get up and go concentrate on not throwing up. Yeah I'll definitely speak with them. I need an in person visit I think to make sure theres nothing wrong. Just dont think liquids should still be giving me such a problem still.

Please ask during your appointment today for a referral to a mental health professional.

I'm sorry you're going thru this. I would definitely look into therapy ASAP (bariatric counselor preferred) to help you thru. Dont just settle for amyone. Exercise will help release "happy hormones" also, this might be limited to just light walking at your stage.

Side note: My mental health deteriorated significantly post op as well. I'm still not back to myself sadly (2yrs out). I wish ppl talked about this more.

I do go to therapy and stuff already I got some information on getting a more bariatric centered therapist though. I got some tips to try from the doctor and he was saying that the stuck feeling is just the food needing to go down bland to get up wall around the room and try again slower smaller bites. Going to see if that helps some. I got some work out gear and resistance bands I cant wait to try out just havent felt like doing anything lately. That's normally how i notice I'm headed for a depression dip. This is just the first one after surgery. 2 years after well congrats for making it this long. Most people dont talk about mental health cause its assumed hey your losing weight you look great you must feel great. Most people aren't even sure how they feel themselves at times and we all just end up going through the motions. Thanks so much for taking the Time to read and respond.

moonbean85 I don't have any bariatric advice as I'm having my surgery April 6 but I do know about depression and frustration. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope each new is slightly better that the last.

I'm sorry you're going through this! Depression slumps are difficult normally, so going through one along with such a major change I'm sure is a whole different ballgame. I'm happy to see you have scheduled an appointment with the therapist, and can recognize the signs you're heading towards a slump. Getting ahead of it, even if just by a bit, is a good call. I hope eating and drinking get easier for you, and definitely do not feel bad about venting here. That's part of what this forum is for! Venting to people who are going through similar stuff :)

Please keep us updated on your progress if you don't mind sharing the journey (both the mental side, and letting us know when you are feeling better and getting some food in). Sending love your way!

I'm in such a better place mentally than I was this morning after hearing from everyone. I also spoke with the doctor and tried his recommendation with eating and I feel sooo much better with a bit of food in me. Hunger is a dangerous thing for me I guess it just sets off all my stinking thinking. Ugh. I just figured I would stop eating and I'd be ok. He explained how I need to be eating more because my body will go into starvation mode and pull from wherever if I'm not giving it what it needs. I actually exercised a bit today afterwords and going to clean my room. It's not much but it's a start. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to read and or respond.
*big hugs*