Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Setting a goal weight & Dr Comments

I went in for my 2 month check up. I lost 33 pounds from a surgery weight of 256. They hope that by my 6 month appointment I will be down to 190. I said, well let’s talk about my goal weight. They said 190 is where the surgery (bypass) will take me and from there out I will need to vigorously exercise to get down to 160 (I’m 5’6”/female).

I was shocked. I can’t commit to vigorous exercise for the rest of my life. I’m walking about 3-3.5 hours a week. Isn’t that good enough?

Take their advice/opinion with a grain of salt! When I told my nurse that my goal was 130, she looked at me like I was crazy, and said that my goal should be to lose 70lbs (which would have put me at 160). I flew past 160, hit 130, and kept going until I landed at 117 (plastic surgery then brought me to 113).

I'm not superwoman, and didn't do anything special other than follow the plan!

Focus on your goals and you will achieve them!! Good luck!!

Edited by ChubRub

On 03/17/2021 at 08:35, ChubRub said:

Take their advice/opinion with a grain of salt! When I told my nurse that my goal was 130, she looked at me like I was crazy, and said that my goal should be to lose 70lbs (which would have put me at 160). I flew past 160, hit 130, and kept going until I landed at 117 (plastic surgery then brought me to 113).

I’m totally learning that they may speak from an extremely conservative standpoint! She looked at my like I was crazy too and little did she know my goal is 145.

How much did you have to lose?

Oops you told me. I just need to do the math. Lol.

I actually just had the goal conversation with my dietician, I'm still Pre-op so I have no personal experience yet. But he basically said they go conservatively because they are going by the statistics, which is that on average WLS patients lose 70% of their excess weight. So by using that the goal they have for me is significantly higher than I would have for myself. But he added that he always encourages patients to surpass their goal. It's totally individual but they don't want to give people false hope when the statistics show that for majority that 70% is it.

And I believe it should be much easier to maintain a low weight once you reach it, so even if you reach your goal through vigorous exercise you'd probably be able to ease up after a while and maintain more easily.

All that said, I'm surprised they didn't have the conversation about goals pre-op. It was definitely good information for me to have so I can keep my expectations at a good place.

some of us do manage to blow pretty far past the statistics. It depends on how hard you're willing to work. I did exercise regularly, but I wouldn't say vigorously. They say weight loss is about 80% diet and only 20% exercise. I think that's probably true..

1 hour ago, amyseattle said:

Oops you told me. I just need to do the math. Lol.

Sorry, I was probably confusing! Starting weight was 230, my goal was 130, nurse said it should be 160, but I ignored her and ended up at 117. LOL!

My goal weight is 170 and I am going to get to it pretty easily since I am only 2 lbs away. My wife was 5 ft and her max weight was 280. The doctors first goal for her is 150 in under the first year and she is 198 right now at 5 months out. She really wants to her goal to be 120 and feels she can do that with lots of work.

On 03/17/2021 at 12:15, ChubRub said:

Sorry, I was probably confusing! Starting weight was 230, my goal was 130, nurse said it should be 160, but I ignored her and ended up at 117. LOL!

You rebel!!