Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone. I had the gastric sleeve yesterday morning. I felt pretty darn good yesterday, but today I seem to be in a bit more pain in my abdomen. I have also had a few bouts of nausea, and honestly I’m starting to wonder if I made the right choice. I know I’m being dramatic and that this pain won’t last forever. How long was it before you guys started feeling better?

You just had pretty major surgery so nausea, some pain & not feeling the best is to be expected. It’s all new & different, you don’t know what to expect or how the surgery will affect you so it’s okay for you to have doubts & be concerned about your choice.

By day 4/5 I was off my pain meds & apart from feeling tired & a bit washed out I felt ok. I was a bit tender around the incisions but that was to be expected. I live alone & was perfectly fine looking after myself. I did have an extra day in hospital because my back went into spasm from a pre existing condition & that was way, way worse than any post surgical side effects.

You’ll be fine. Just take it easy while you’re getting over the surgery & healing. Follow your surgeon’s plan & instructions. If anything does seem unusual, not right, like unmanageable pain, contact your medical team straight away.

It took me 2wks b4 I felt better. The pain meds helped a lot. The incisions were sensitive, but that was too b expected. I didn't hv the nausea till my 3wk, which I thought was weird & it only lasted 2 days, but everyone is different. Keep the faith &keep following the surgeons instructions & you'll b fine. Congrats on taking the first leap into your new life!

I'm 7wks post op. & losing slowly but I'm good w that. I feel slower is better since I was only 236lbs when I started & now I'm down to 203lbs.

Good luck!!

Edited by ChiNaDoll2285

The first week is dramatic! Everything feels so weird and out of wack.

I'm three weeks post-op and it got much better for me in week two. The first 3-4 days nausea was a real thing (I had a timer for when I could take the anti-nausea medication) and I was in a lot of discomfort in general. I didn't have too much incision pain and was off pain meds by day 5, but doing anything that tugged on my stomach for the first week+ felt scary. I slept on the couch propped up on pillows for 5-6 uncomfortable nights before I felt like I could lay down in the bed and be able to safely get back up.

At three weeks I'm able to take slow and steady walks around the neighborhood and my incisions are healing over but still a bit tender to the touch. The nausea has gone away (hallelujah!) and I am able to get fluids and Protein in as recommended most days. The have been a few days when I just don't feel hungry, don't want to eat, and have to force myself to get some protein in. I'm still easily tired so naps are my friend.

Thank you all for your replies, your perspectives are so helpful. I’ve mostly been taking Tylenol and I take the dilaudid I was prescribed just to help me sleep. I think I had high expectations that this surgery would be similar to my gallbladder removal, but this experience is much more intense.

Real pain lasts about a week and slowly but surely it will start to fade. After 2 or 3 weeks you’ll feel so much better and all those regrets will disappear l, especially after you lose your first few pounds.

Thank you so much @Hopefulin2021!!!

I understand cause I’m 2 days post op and I feel like I’ve been hit by a truck ! I’m so sore even my damn neck hurt. I can’t wait til I feel a lil better

Yes @JustJazzy I completely understand!!! Feel better!!