Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today I had a totally painful and awful experience. I am 10 days post op, last night I felt like I had to take a bowel movement, I couldn’t. So upon waking thus morning it felt like it was just hanging there, I had taken a stool softener yesterday to no avail. So I kept trying to go was having problems urinating as well. The pain set in, this had bee going on for over 12 hours, pain was getting worse and this hard bowel was not moving, stuck in rectum and up. Finally called Dr on call, I was ready to head to hospital the pain was so bad. He said try doing feet enema and Miralax. Husband went to store and bought them. Did not give relief in 1-5 minutes, stool was so hard it was difficult to get enema in. Finally after 45 minutes or so some slow movement. 90 minutes later it finally came out, I have never seen such a large bowel movement. Could not eat or drink so I finally laid down and napped. Put myself on the clear liquid diet again, cant even think of have a Protein Shake right now. I know this was from the anesthesia as I did not take any pain killers. I have dealt with Constipation my whole life but nothing in the world like this. My butt still hurts. Hoping for a better day tomorrow.

On 03/13/2021 at 18:49, Auderly said:

Today I had a totally painful and awful experience. I am 10 days post op, last night I felt like I had to take a bowel movement, I couldn’t. So upon waking thus morning it felt like it was just hanging there, I had taken a stool softener yesterday to no avail. So I kept trying to go was having problems urinating as well. The pain set in, this had bee going on for over 12 hours, pain was getting worse and this hard bowel was not moving, stuck in rectum and up. Finally called Dr on call, I was ready to head to hospital the pain was so bad. He said try doing feet enema and Miralax. Husband went to store and bought them. Did not give relief in 1-5 minutes, stool was so hard it was difficult to get enema in. Finally after 45 minutes or so some slow movement. 90 minutes later it finally came out, I have never seen such a large bowel movement. Could not eat or drink so I finally laid down and napped. Put myself on the clear liquid diet again, cant even think of have a Protein Shake right now. I know this was from the anesthesia as I did not take any pain killers. I have dealt with constipation my whole life but nothing in the world like this. My butt still hurts. Hoping for a better day tomorrow.

Ouch. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you. Stay hydrated Keep drinking Water

I had a similar experience 8 or 9 days out. Very painful. I hope that the worst is over for you.

uggg. Sounds awful. I had a similar experience when I was on my pre-op diet, post-op (knocking on wood) it has been ok, but I dread another round like this.

Definitely keep working at meeting your fluid goals. Add fibre to your shakes, broths, etc. everyday like benefibre (avoid ones that swell in your tummy). You’re eating very little Constipation is understandable. Unfortunately constipation is an ongoing issue as we’re losing weight.

If I hadn’t had a bowel movement by day 2 or 3 (depending on what stage I was on) I’d take a stool softener. This way I never let the constipation get too bad. I also still tried to go everyday. Not forcing anything, just sitting & relaxing for awhile. Sometimes gravity can help. As can jiggling your knees up & down so I’ve heard not that I’ve tried that.

Good luck.

Constipation is the WORST.

Even if you don't want to eat/drink, just try to keep up with the Water, it really helps.

For prevention, I added Benefibre to my protien shakes. Like @Arabesque, if I hadn't gone after 2-3 days, I'd start taking more action: I'd do a dose or 2 of Milk of Magnesia, and if still a poop no-show after 1-2 more days, I'd resort to a glycerine suppository. The suppository has worked for me within 30 minutes each time I have taken it (probably 7 or 8 instances in the past 2+ years) except for 1 horrible period of constipation that lasted THIRTEEN DAYS. That time I think I had to do a suppository for 3 mornings in a row for anything to finally come out. I wasn't in pain or anything in those 13 days, which is why I let it go for so long, but if I was in pain, I probably would have gone to the hospital.

Good Luck ❤️

My wife and I have developed a routine with laxative stool softeners. We take 2 to 3 of these pills per day at night depending on if we went the day before or not and we usually have success with these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077Y84VX4?ref=rcxsubs_myd_ct_detail_page We typically have a movement daily but there are a few days in between them and the 3 pills the night before almost guarantees a movement in the morning.

More pain today and enema would not work. Ended up in ER had to have it manually removed. They did many many tests, found out on top of the Constipation my diverticulitis was acting up. Rectum is very very sore. I am drinking but cannot stomach these shakes or anything right now. All I taste are chemicals. I have burning mouth syndrome which makes my taste buds and sense of smell very sensitive, this is really creating problems.

Ouch! Sorry to hear you had to go to the ER. Hope you get to feeling better. Drink lots of Water, maybe put some miralax in your coffee? That’s what I do and it dissolves really well

On 3/13/2021 at 6:49 PM, Auderly said:

Today I had a totally painful and awful experience. I am 10 days post op, last night I felt like I had to take a bowel movement, I couldn’t. So upon waking thus morning it felt like it was just hanging there, I had taken a stool softener yesterday to no avail. So I kept trying to go was having problems urinating as well. The pain set in, this had bee going on for over 12 hours, pain was getting worse and this hard bowel was not moving, stuck in rectum and up. Finally called Dr on call, I was ready to head to hospital the pain was so bad. He said try doing feet enema and Miralax. Husband went to store and bought them. Did not give relief in 1-5 minutes, stool was so hard it was difficult to get enema in. Finally after 45 minutes or so some slow movement. 90 minutes later it finally came out, I have never seen such a large bowel movement. Could not eat or drink so I finally laid down and napped. Put myself on the clear liquid diet again, cant even think of have a Protein Shake right now. I know this was from the anesthesia as I did not take any pain killers. I have dealt with constipation my whole life but nothing in the world like this. My butt still hurts. Hoping for a better day tomorrow.

I'm really sorry you experienced this. I'm day on day 6 of two week preop liquid diet and have the worst case of being constipated in my life....exact reason I came here tonight. I'll be calling MD in morning because this is awful.

I am so sorry you are having to experience this. Hopefully they can fix the issue now that they know exactly what is going on. Hang in there. And remember It will be worth it in the long run.

OMG!!! Seriously!!! I have never in my entire life left the commode KNOWING that I had not finished my business but after 1 hour and 45 minutes of trying resolved that I was just simply unable to. I have ratcheted up the Fiber, added myralax and stool softener and will have the glycerin suppositories on stand by from this point on.. cuz DAMN!! And would you believe this experience actually put my coccyx out... I'm miserable. 😱

Oh no! I’m 9 days post op and I haven’t had a BM for 14 days! Today is the first day I’m feeling bloated and a little constipated. Preop I was drinking a gallon a day and following the preop diet, same as post op. It’s crazy I haven’t gone! I took colace for two days preop and have taken 3 doses of miralax. Nothing!

im not in pain, but I’m bloating! I think I’ll get a suppository. Don’t want a trip to the ER.

14 days, I would definitely get that checked out! I went 3 days, and thought I was going to die 🤪 That was in my first week post-op. Since then I have been taking 2 tsp Benefibre twice a day and it’s kept things normal.

18 hours ago, MistySkye said:

14 days, I would definitely get that checked out! I went 3 days, and thought I was going to die 🤪 That was in my first week post-op. Since then I have been taking 2 tsp Benefibre twice a day and it’s kept things normal.

Thank the Bariatric Gods! I gave birth to BM pebbles today! 😂 I bought suppositories today too just in case. I’ll pick up benefiber at costco.