Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect on first consult

Hello All, I am in Maine and I am surprised to be having my consult with the bariatric surgeon on Monday March 15. A couple questions; Is there anyone else here that has had the surgery in Maine? Which will help with the following question... how soon can you expect surgery after your initial consult? I am a little excited and nervous at the same time. I put off exploring bariatric surgery for years and finally decided enough was enough... any feedback you can provide will be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance!

Can't speak for Maine, I'm afraid. My surgery was 6 months after initial consultation, but it didn't feel like a long time at all because we had a massive checklist of things to get done before we were approved. This will vary a lot by surgeon. My surgeon wanted 10% weight loss through diet with the help of monthly PA and Dietician appointments. We had to take a fitness class, attend a support group meeting, take classes that covered our pre surgical liquid diet and our diet after surgery. Had a whole bunch of medical tests and stuff, two therapy visits, and healthy cooking classes were also strongly recommended. Lots of appointments, lots of hard work on your diet to get ready. But again...some surgeons will just schedule you and that's that. My experience was pretty involved, but I'm really grateful I had that much support and preparation. It has been invaluable.

Your first visit, you'll likely get measured and weighed, talk about your BMI and comorbidities, talk about which surgery is the best fit, get an outline of your program and get a feel for the timeframe.

I think mine was about six months as well. Same as above - classes, labs, a bunch of medical tests, a sleep study. The time went quickly.

From my decision to surgery was just shy of 4 months.

It would have been two weeks sooner if my Doc's office put in the paperwork when they said instead of dallying for two weeks.

My wife and I went from first consult on 9/15/20 to Surgery 11/11/20 together. My wife and I had already done the 6 months of diets previously with other doctors so we were able to complete the rest of the requirements pretty quickly. Depending on your requirements will determine how long until you have surgery. My doctors office said that my insurance was amazing and would love if all insurances were like mine, so our experience could be out of the norm.

Edited by mswillis5

I haven't had surgery yet, but I know mine is going to be almost 6 months at least. I called at the end of January and I won't be able to be scheduled till July at the earliest because I had to meet with the NP, the surgeon, the dietitian, the psychologist, and THEN have once a month nutrition classes for 4 months! After those are over in June I can have anything else they need done (not sure what) and schedule the surgery.

I had my consult on Monday and have been cleared to "enter the program" with the plan for the sleeve procedure. I have insurance approval, just waiting to receive my first appointments and get clearance from the various specialties. I saw in the note that there is a 5%pre surgery weight loss goal. Now it is a matter of hurry up and wait........