Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any April 2021 surgeries?!

Morning,

For those of you who have been medically cleared by your surgeons to workout in the gym, what exercises are you doing in the gym? How frequently do you go, which exercises, and for how much time?

I walk for cardio 5 days a week for approx 30 mins during the day while at work. Sometimes its a little more and sometimes a little less. With my little calorie intake, that's good for me right now. But, I am concerned about muscle loss. So, I think I want to do some strength exercise and toning work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited by Blueslily

3 hours ago, Blueslily said:

Morning,

For those of you who have been medically cleared by your surgeons to workout in the gym, what exercises are you doing in the gym? How frequently do you go, which exercises, and for how much time?

I walk for cardio 5 days a week for approx 30 mins during the day while at work. Sometimes its a little more and sometimes a little less. With my little calorie intake, that's good for me right now. But, I am concerned about muscle loss. So, I think I want to do some strength exercise and toning work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I was a frequent gym goer prior to surgery, so I'm just doing what I did before with lower weight.

I typically start with 1 hour of cardio on the elliptical, then progress to weight lifting. Bench Press, Bicep Curl, Tricep Extension, Shoulder Press, Lat Pulldown, Back Extension. The only thing I still haven't added back is any AB specific workout.

24 minutes ago, Exudos194 said:

I was a frequent gym goer prior to surgery, so I'm just doing what I did before with lower weight.

I typically start with 1 hour of cardio on the elliptical, then progress to weight lifting. Bench Press, Bicep Curl, Tricep Extension, Shoulder Press, Lat Pulldown, Back Extension. The only thing I still haven't added back is any AB specific workout.

Depends on your sex as well as medical history. As a woman with PCOS studies have found the best workouts for us are strength training(think weights) and yoga which involves strength training. It’s important to remember that every BODY is different. Cardio and high intensity cardio is good for me once in a while(I enjoy HIIT classes and workouts) but it’s important to mix it up. See what works for you and what doesn’t. Just remember to mix it up. (I’m not a personal trainer but I have spent a lot of time researching the subject)

14 hours ago, Exudos194 said:

Very sImilar to my pre-surgery routine. I’m not cleared to lift any weights for 6 weeks post surgery. Have you been cleared already or are you working around that?

1 minute ago, Flikka said:

Very sImilar to my pre-surgery routine. I’m not cleared to lift any weights for 6 weeks post surgery. Have you been cleared already or are you working around that?

I was cleared at 3 weeks for lifting, 6 weeks before any ab workouts though.

6 minutes ago, Exudos194 said:

I was cleared at 3 weeks for lifting, 6 weeks before any ab workouts though.

How fantastic! I’m very envious!! I can’t wait to get back to it. xx

1 minute ago, Flikka said:

How fantastic! I’m very envious!! I can’t wait to get back to it. xx

It's amazing, I used to go ~5 days a week, but now going every other day to start! Can definitely see the difference in the scale on the gym going days!

Hi everyone. I’m 6 weeks post op and m finding I’m getting much hungrier throughout the day. I’m definitely focused on liquid intake and Protein but I’m curious how many calories folks are taking in that are at a similar post op point. I’m paranoid I’m eating too many.

I’m also 6 weeks and I have been getting hungrier. I’ve noticed what helps is drinking more Water. I also keep focus on Protein when I do eat.

how much weight have you lost ?

2 hours ago, Newlyfe2021 said:

Hi everyone. I’m 6 weeks post op and m finding I’m getting much hungrier throughout the day. I’m definitely focused on liquid intake and Protein but I’m curious how many calories folks are taking in that are at a similar post op point. I’m paranoid I’m eating too many.

I feel hungrier if I do not eat enough for a meal or eat early enough during the day. It does not take much at all to stop the hunger.

I have not started counting calories yet. My food intake is so tiny. Like 3 ounces. Im at 6 weeks today. How many ounces are you eating at 6 weeks?

Honestly, my hunger is usually a sign that I have not drank my Protein Shake yet. LoL. Or, that I have waited too late to eat my meal. I can only eat around 3 ounces per meal, but my body wants it, lol.

34 minutes ago, Blueslily said:

I feel hungrier if I do not eat enough for a meal or eat early enough during the day. It does not take much at all to stop the hunger.

I have not started counting calories yet. My food intake is so tiny. Like 3 ounces. Im at 6 weeks today. How many ounces are you eating at 6 weeks?

Honestly, my hunger is usually a sign that I have not drank my Protein Shake yet. LoL. Or, that I have waited too late to eat my meal. I can only eat around 3 ounces per meal, but my body wants it, lol.

I’m only getting about 2 oz at a time down but definitely skipping meals and Snacks due to work craziness. I think maybe I just miss eating in general.. maybe this is the head hunger. I mean, I just want a dang taco lol

Edited by Newlyfe2021

9 minutes ago, Newlyfe2021 said:

I’m only getting about 2 oz at a time down but definitely skipping meals and Snacks due to work craziness. I think maybe I just miss eating in general.. maybe this is the head hunger. I mean, I just want a dang taco lol

Those of you that are feeling hunger, did you feel hunger at first after surgery, or did you slowly gain your hunger? I'm 4 weeks out and still don't feel any hunger, would be nice if it stayed like that lol.

15 minutes ago, Exudos194 said:

Those of you that are feeling hunger, did you feel hunger at first after surgery, or did you slowly gain your hunger? I'm 4 weeks out and still don't feel any hunger, would be nice if it stayed like that lol.

I really didn’t notice getting hungry until about a week or so ago.

1 hour ago, Newlyfe2021 said:

I really didn’t notice getting hungry until about a week or so ago.

I've noticed stomach grumbling while eating, stomach grumbling before and after eating, before this was "hunger" to me. But now I haven't felt hunger, because the grumbling just seems normal now. I guess maybe I had "head hunger" before and the pre op diet and limited choices since have eliminated. Here's hoping it stays that way lol