Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any April 2021 surgeries?!

Scheduled for 4/10 and begin preop on Saturday. Excited for you this new beginning

45 minutes ago, TashaNichole said:

Scheduled for 4/10 and begin preop on Saturday. Excited for you this new beginning

Congrats on your surgery date!!

So I was a companion on 3/18-21 to my best friend (38f) while she had her sleeve thru Baja medical with Dr. A (Dr A's Iron Sleevers group is a great resource on FB)

I've been considering the surgery myself but am still actively losing weight & maintaining my loss (we both had lost 50lbs since October of 2020) and I'm not quite ready to commit to the sleeve just yet.

So here's what I'd tell future Tijuana (or any) bariatric patients.

Buy a good variety of broth packets & cubes as well as electrolyte packets because what tasted good before may not after surgery. I cannot stress this enough- do not ALLOW yourself to get medically dehydrated. They kind of skimp on the IV fluids so it won't take long after surgery to become dehydrated & once that dry heaving begins it's a short trip to kidney strain and needing the hospital. Two girls (different surgeons than our group but same hospital) ended up needing IV fluids after being discharged.

Bring an extension cord & heating pad- that heating pad was my friends favorite thing while down there.

Take the preop diet very seriously, including caffeine, it will ensure you're body is burning fat stores before you have surgery which you'll be grateful for when you're only getting 150-300 calories a day the first few days home.

Try to learn a few Spanish phrases or bring a decent translation dictionary because the service industry down there caters mostly to other Mexican tourists and don't speak much English- this is super helpful for uber, ordering food or even just going to sbux.

Bring a small thermos that you can take anywhere. 10 oz is ideal and you won't be drinking even that much in a sitting before coming home.

Buy Miralax & use it the day you get home (surgeon said this was fine) because the Constipation struggle IS REAL after general anesthesia & you DO NOT want to be straining your abdominal muscles after surgery!

Buy everything you need for bariatric smoothies & Soups before you go- you won't want to be hunting down ingredients two days after getting home. Chobani now makes a bottled yogurt drink with 25g Protein, chicory root Fiber & Monk Fruit with no chunks- very post OP friendly & you'll be SUPER sick of Protein Shakes by the 1 week mark.

Most importantly- be your own advocate; if your nurse is overly busy & blows you off (hospital is crazy busy down there right now b/c stimulus + tax returns) then ask to speak to your dr. and make yourself heard.

Lastly, if you have a hotel day try & visit Avenida Revolucion (10 minute Uber from the hotels)- we went with some other sleevers & it was an awesome distraction, great place to walk & the Hotel Caesar (birthplace of the caesar salad!) makes a French onion Soup that if you as for "just jus'" or "suave', liquido colado (strained liquid) they'll give you a crock of just the rich broth!

Be safe everyone, my friend is 6 days post OP & getting stronger each day!

Oh, I almost forgot! For those going to Mexico- make sure your companion packs a pillow & blanket for sleeping! Those pull out bench deals are really awful and they only provide a sheet when you ask for a blanket. I brought one pillow from home and a throw fleece and I was SO GLAD I did!

On 3/21/2021 at 3:52 PM, ShoppGirl said:

Don’t buy too many Protein Shakes ahead of time because your tastes may change. Also immediately after tastes are heightened so to me the Protein shakes were too sweet. I found the clear Protein Drinks to be easier to get down.

I totally agree. Two friends of mine have had GS surgery & were sick to their teeth of the shakes between the preop & postoperative diets. You definitely want a better variety of Protein liquids than just the shakes.

Gatorade now has a sugar free Protein Drink with 25g protein! Supposedly tastes *okay* but easier to get down than a thick shake.

16 hours ago, Asurgerydollbella said:

Hi I have the same date. Good luck.

Wow! Three of us have this same date. That's awesome. I am also in NY (upstate though), getting mine done at Saratoga Hospital. It's coming so soon!! I am excited to get past the first few bumpy parts of this journey.

On 03/24/2021 at 22:53, CharityH said:

Wow! Three of us have this same date. That's awesome. I am also in NY (upstate though), getting mine done at Saratoga Hospital. It's coming so soon!! I am excited to get past the first few bumpy parts of this journey.

Yes congratulations. I’m so excited as well. Would love to connect so we can help each other through.

On 3/20/2021 at 8:35 PM, Sophia D. said:

Scheduled for April 26th.

1 minute ago, Asurgerydollbella said:

Yes congratulations. I’m so excited as well. Would love to connect so we can help each other through.

Yes this has been the best. Site I. Just happened to stumble across 🙏🏾 Definitely I would love to connect Who gets to have a support person with them

Am scheduled for April 26 Ive honestly never been so terrified in my life and not to mention super unprepared everything is so expensive i have no idea how am going to afford all these Protein Shakes and Vitamins 😫

My surgery is 4/10 and I am really scared. Apart from two friends of mine, i have no other suppose system except this forum. I decided not to tell my friends because they will surely discourage me and my health is failing. This is a life saving decision for me but I feel my friends will not understand.

This forum made me book my surgery date. Very supportive group here. I just want to say thank you to everyone for their contribution and advice. I have been here for months reading stories and different advices. Today i decided to make a profile and join. Very happy to be here. I will be asking a lot of questions before my surgery and after, please remain kind.