Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last stage solid food

Good morning

1 questions once I start my solid food April 5 what can I eat I’m really picky person

2 question I love chewing cum when can I start eat gum again I noticed my mouth be dry plus I want to be fresh

You may want to chat with your nutritionist about gum and if/when it can be reintroduced. Chewing gum gets the tummy excited, it thinks its going to get food, it's starts the digestive process, the stomach produces acid in readiness of food it needs to break down, except there isn't any food and the acid can upset the stomach. Perhaps best to chew just before a meal.

Some people also belief that chewing gum can cause swallowing of air into the stomach, causing gas.

Also some sugar-free gum contain the alcohol sweetners (mostly those ending in ...itol) which can have a laxative effect causing the stomach to be gassy etc.

At the end of the day you are an adult you are free to try whenever you choose, but generally I would suggest at least listen to your professional team while you are still in the healing and early weight loss stages.

My surgeon said no gum for the first year, period. He showed pictures of having to remove wads of gum with an endoscope grabbing tool...from people who had swallowed it and it got stuck. Our new stomachs are healing, there are days they swell a little, they don't have a lot of stretch yet. Unlike most stuff, gum isn't readily broken down by stomach acid (pops out the other end looking pretty much the same if you happen to swallow it).

If you must chew gum, chew a teenie, tiny piece with this in mind. Better yet, consider taking a year off of gum chewing.

Gum chewing...to me...is not worth risking an endoscopic procedure to remove it if I accidentally swallow it.

Three years out, I'll admit I've chewed it without incident, but it makes me nervous. Those pictures must have made a big impression. LOL. I don't chew gum much at all anymore.

Edited by Creekimp13

I was told to never chew gum again. It does all the stuff that Creekimp13 says. Its not worth the risk. I have just started eating sugar free mints again. My doc gave the permission at 6 months out. I was told not to eat more than 2 per day.

I do not do any gum, too much air and such....

oh btw you wrote cum lol

3 hours ago, mischa23 said:

Good morning

1 questions once I start my solid food April 5 what can I eat I’m really picky person

2 question I love chewing gum when can I start eat gum again I noticed my mouth be dry plus I want to be fresh

I too was told not to chew gum because of digestive juices.

I've never been a gum chewer, but I do eat sugar free breath mints occasionally. If you have dry mouth, try the ones with xylitol in them if you can find some. It's a sugar alcohol so it may give you G/I issues, but it doesn't for everyone (luckily, it's never bothered me). Xylitol supposedly stimulates saliva production, which can help with the dry mouth. There are also sprays, mouthwashes, and lozenges for dry mouth. Any pharmacy or places like Walmart or Target should have some...

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I've never been a gum chewer, but I do eat sugar free breath mints occasionally. If you have dry mouth, try the ones with xylitol in them if you can find some. It's a sugar alcohol so it may give you G/I issues, but it doesn't for everyone (luckily, it's never bothered me). Xylitol supposedly stimulates saliva production, which can help with the dry mouth. There are also sprays, mouthwashes, and lozenges for dry mouth. Any pharmacy or places like Walmart or Target should have some...

Xylitol is probably the only sugar alcohol (so far) that doesn't have a laxative effect on me, and I use to chew a lot of it in th past.