Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day by Day - Harder than Actual Battle

So I am 52 years old and wanted to see if other are experiencing the same issues I am. In all I am doing great but I had COVID just prior to surgery and was cleared 2 weeks prior. I weighed 305 Lbs when I started this journey and 28 days later I have lost 59 Lbs I believe as of today (03/08/21). My Doctor says that I am in the upper 1% of weight loss for his practice which makes my wife proud.

After surgery I found that the rumored stuff was true. I lost my hunger sensation. I had no urge to eat AT ALL. I was weak and only wanted to sleep. I needed Meds for pain but it was not overboard. In about a week I was fully up and a little slow. My loving wife who does not have weight issue shouldered my recovery almost like to was new puppy. She is a task master and gives no quarter. 28 days later I am fully mobile and wanting to get on with life but my Doctor and the Bariatric Center he works in is very diligent on a day by day strategy of how to succeed. My wife reads this binder they gave us as a field guide to survival. You will notice that a lot of Military references in this and that is due to being a 26 Year Army (USA) Retired Officer. I got out when my thyroid started acting up and my weight got out of control. I am proud of my career but could not face Soldiers when I was not fit to fight. It kills me that I am not that man anymore.

As I said my wife is a Task Master and I need that. I am at this point only allowed to have 2 Ounces of food a meal (x3) and 8 ounces of Protein Shake a day. I constantly drink Water or non-suger or non-carbonated drinks like Propel. All seems well but I have noticed that life seems a little "Blah". I work from home and work in the yard for short periods but generally life seems bland. I do tire quickly and that is slowly improving. I know this is due to low Calories, the surgery recovery and minimal diet but ..... I also have the added issue of COVID Recovery. I have little taste and little smell left. I can smell and taste some things but generally I do not smell food like everyone else. I think this has helped a little with the need for food. I have begun to go on walks with my wife and about a full block is all I can handle. This kills me since in my 30's I was a Olympic level athlete and was the one leading the pace but now.... I hope to get back to something like that again but it's hard to see since I have so far to go.

On the Bright side my wife and family have said they seem to have cut the Grumpy out of me. I do seem to be very ungrumpy lately. It may be the weight loss and actual progress or it may have been the fact that I was prediabetic and hunger made me HANGRY.

At first I did not see the gains I am making but I have slowly begun to see them. My cloths are almost falling off and many people have said I look very different but others have said I look sick since the first place I lost weight was in my face. I am also a little pail due to being in side for month. The biggest event was when I put a coat on that I had to squeeze into prior to surgery and it actually fit with room to spare. I think I have lost about 6 inches off my belly.

In another post after this I will describe my pre-surgery issues and how I felt and my mental state. It was not good. I will keep this Thread going for a while in the hopes that other will see it and let me know what to expect and if I am not alone on this issue. I am prideful and push myself to get better and hate to feel week. May be I will post my presurgery pics some day but for now that make me cringe.

Inspiring words and a great story. I will not be able to relate to you service (thank you by the way) although my dad and brother both served.

The "blah ness" seems very relatable. My Dr. actually prescribed something for that but is meant for temporary "issues". That blah feeling has passed for me and now I'm just dealing with the normal every day ups and downs.

My appetite has come back and luckily (3 months post surgery) i still get full quickly.

The hard work for me started about 6 weeks after surgery. The behaviors and relationships we have with food simply have to change. I feel like a broken record but these are the things I keep telling myself.

I appreciate your openness and honesty... this is good stuff.

Tell me about the food issues. Are there cravings? I crave taste right now not quantity.

3 hours ago, tb03830 said:

Tell me about the food issues. Are there cravings? I crave taste right now not quantity.

I had a severe craving for deviled eggs after a workout a couple weeks back. Made about 6 (a dozen halves) and was able to put down 3 before I got full and almost sick. "Listening" to the fullness is still a novelty for me. I crave sweets, shakes, cake, brownies, and all that stuff still but it feels like I have a bit more control. I do my best to listen to the experts, fill up with Protein first, then veg and any carb should be towards the bottom of the list.

Even with these cravings and periodic stuffing and sugars are you still loosing weight? I am pretty strong willed but do get weak some times and I worry that a single slip will set me back. Yes, I will be working out when I hit 250 Lbs which is soon.

10 hours ago, tb03830 said:

Even with these cravings and periodic stuffing and sugars are you still loosing weight? I am pretty strong willed but do get weak some times and I worry that a single slip will set me back. Yes, I will be working out when I hit 250 Lbs which is soon.

I've been stalled for over a week so I will be doing liquid/protein shakes only (and water) for a few days to re-kickstart.

I can definitely see myself slipping if I'm going to be completely honest. I exercise 6 days a week and don't think i'm overdoing it, but perhaps that's why my appetite is stronger than it should be.

I was told that stalling is normal and you need to keep to your diet that is normal. Changing it is bad idea and I would run it by your doctor. What Your body is saying is I am starving and I am not going to loose weight any more unless I keep starving. If you stay on the same diet then you will keep starving and that is called a diet. Stalling is normal and can last two or three weeks. If after two weeks you are still there go talk to your doctor first. I would not change your diet until you talk to your doctor. My stalls fortunately have been about 2 days at most so far but you are further ahead than me.

40 minutes ago, tb03830 said:

I was told that stalling is normal and you need to keep to your diet that is normal. Changing it is bad idea and I would run it by your doctor. What Your body is saying is I am starving and I am not going to loose weight any more unless I keep starving. If you stay on the same diet then you will keep starving and that is called a diet. Stalling is normal and can last two or three weeks. If after two weeks you are still there go talk to your doctor first. I would not change your diet until you talk to your doctor. My stalls fortunately have been about 2 days at most so far but you are further ahead than me.

My Dr was the one that gave me the advice I'm following now. Although I'm not new to weight loss, I am new to this type of weight loss. Your comment "diet that is normal" is a bit contradictory as in none of us would be in this forum if our diets were normal in the first place. I think I understand what you are saying though. I'm glad to be on this forum and grateful to pick up on knowledge from everyone.