Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision with open surgery

It looks like my revision from lap band to bypass will probably be open surgery and not laparoscopic. I’ve got lots of internal adhesions that we can blame.

Have you had this surgery and how was your recovery? Did you have to stay overnight in hospital? How many days? How long before you could move without pain meds?

Any tips? I have been waiting years for this surgery and want to be prepared and get this journey going and reach my goals. Thanks for your help!

With differences. Mine was not a revision. I was also more than triple your current weight. So take these differences into account.

I was in the hospital for 3 days. It hurt a lot. I also had a drain until my first followup at 10 days. Something you won't have to deal with is that because of my weight they brought in a special bed and it was horrible. I spent most of my time sitting in the comfy chair in the room.

I'd say I could move about pretty well after the 10 days, Laying down was a series of new adventures in pain as finding a comfortable position that didn't pull the staples or the drain was difficult.

There were other painful issues I left out because I don't think they will apply to you. I don't want to totally freak you out.

I knew there would be a lot of pain. It was totally worth it.

I'd actually be kind of surprised if they DON'T have to stay overnight in the hospital since you're having open surgery. That's pretty major (most of us have to stay overnight even when it's done laproscopically)

I had a lot of internal adhesions when they went in and did my bypass as it had been my 15th surgery but luckily they did not convert to open surgery. I heard it was close. It just meant a longer surgery for me. It also means a little more pain in recovery and little longer recovery but nothing that isn't manageable. If like mean you will also have a drain that you will go home with and have for a extended period compared to others, a nuisance but not bearable and then we have to be a little more careful about hernias and so I wore an abdominal binder longer then most as I had already had two previous repairs and didn't want this surgery cropping up another one. Overall, you will be fine and this surgery is so so worth it! It's nothing you can't handle. Just follow your doctor's order to a "T" and take care of yourself. We will pray for good results.