Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve in Tijuana with Dr, Illan - Hospital BC

I had my gastric sleeve surgery 13 day ago. I choose Dr. Illan because of everything I read on his website and the reviews here. I have to say that he and his staff lived up to their reputation. My husband and I were both very impressed. The Covid-19 protocol in Mexico is better than the US. We flew into San Diego the day before my scheduled surgery. We were picked up at the hotel by Rene' early the next morning. We had no problem crossing the border into Mexico. When we arrived at the hospital there was a whole group of people there to meet us. They first did blood work, then chest x-ray and showed us to our room. The room was small, but had a private bath. The cardiologist came in, the Anesthesiologist and Dr. Illan. Everyone went over my medical history. They then gave me something to relax, told me it was time. I kissed my husband goodbye, got in the wheelchair and I don't remember a thing after that. The next thing I know I'm waking up in recovery. The rest of that day was a total blur. The next day I started on broth and Jello. My husband ordered street tacos from Uber Eats, they smelled delicious, but I had zero desire to try them. Early Saturday they took us to the Hotel Real, Joe was our valet he got us all checked in. We went to our room and honestly I fell asleep. I ordered my broth, my husband ordered lunch/dinner. We just relaxed. Sunday we walked around Tijuana. Rene' picked us up at 2:00 on Sunday, we did need to show our passports to cross the border into the US. We were back in San Diego at the hotel by 3:00. We flew out Monday morning, If you are considering having your surgery in Mexico I highly recommend Dr. Illan and Hospital BC. He and his staff went over and above to not only see to my every need, but to also ensure that my husband was taken care of. As of today I am down 19.4 pounds. 7 pre-op, 13 post-op. I feel great. It was one of the the best decisions I have ever made.

Posted (edited)

This is great to read! I was scheduled for surgery last November and it was canceled 100 hours before hand due to Covid. I’ve since moved and my new insurance doesn’t cover bariatric so I’ve sent in my questionnaire to dr illan and am waiting to hear back.

Scary and almost seems desperate but I’ve researched so much my nerves are calming and I just want to get on with the rest of my healthy life!!!

How are you doing now? Did they set you up with post op Vitamins or at least give you direction on what to buy?

Edited by Chelle1007