Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got scheduled for my surgery for April 7th. I am now a bundle of nerves. This is getting real and I am scared and nervous, not of the surgery itself but of what my life will be like after. I know that I have to give up a lot of the foods I love and I know that the return is a healthier life but right now it seems very scary. I guess I just need encouragement from those who know what it is like to live after this surgery.

It's just like life before surgery....except everyday you think...crap, I did the surgery! I REALLY need to get serious and not screw this up! LOL

Best wishes! Out of curiosity, what made you choose duodenal switch? Don't have to answer that, I'm being nosey, but if you want to share, I'm interested:)

I chose it because it has the highest percentage of loss of excess weight and it does not have the dumping side effect.

I think I get scared because of the dumping, etc if I eat wrong but the goal is not to eat wrong and of course that would keep me in line for sure.

I think it is like pre wedding jitters. LOL

4 hours ago, Delta Lisa said:

Just got scheduled for my surgery for April 7th. I am now a bundle of nerves. This is getting real and I am scared and nervous, not of the surgery itself but of what my life will be like after. I know that I have to give up a lot of the foods I love and I know that the return is a healthier life but right now it seems very scary. I guess I just need encouragement from those who know what it is like to live after this surgery.

If it helps... you learn to eat different. Do I still crave foods that are bad for me? Yes. But it's easy to say no, at least for me. I also crave a lot of healthier foods. fruit, veggies, yogurt, nuts, etc. My biggest advice to you, since you're having the DS (I had the Loop DS, myself), is to keep on top of your Vitamins, your Protein, and your Fluid intake. Getting your fluid in will probably be a struggle for the first few months (it was for me) but it'll get better. But the vitamins are very important, so put a reminder on your phone if you have to. I have a set schedule for taking them and my Vitamin levels are 100% normal (I'm 13 months post op), but the first 9 months were learning what worked and what didn't in my vitamin regiment. I dealt with a Vitamin A deficiency and a potassium deficiency. Too much Iron and too much Calcium. So it was a bit of a learning experience. If it helps at all, I'm grateful every single day that I made this choice and am happy with the surgery I chose. If I had to do it all over again, I would.

My life post surgery is amazingly like my life pre-surgery, just without never ending insatiable hunger. That might be an oversimplification but truly, I’ve been amazed by how quickly I adjusted and how little I think about my stomach (or what is left of it I mean).

What is different this the role that food takes. I had a moment of realization before surgery where I was panicking about how different my life would be, and realizing that was because my life had gotten so narrowed by obesity that food was the central part of it. Liking food, going places to get food, food, eating candy, thinking about my next meal, guilt over not dieting, obsessing about my weight, etc. Food seemed like the only thing I had that brought me pleasure anymore. But that isn’t how I want to live, and it was killing me.

17 hours ago, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

My life post surgery is amazingly like my life pre-surgery, just without never ending insatiable hunger. That might be an oversimplification but truly, I’ve been amazed by how quickly I adjusted and how little I think about my stomach (or what is left of it I mean).

What is different this the role that food takes. I had a moment of realization before surgery where I was panicking about how different my life would be, and realizing that was because my life had gotten so narrowed by obesity that food was the central part of it. Liking food, going places to get food, food, eating candy, thinking about my next meal, guilt over not dieting, obsessing about my weight, etc. Food seemed like the only thing I had that brought me pleasure anymore. But that isn’t how I want to live, and it was killing me.

You hit the nail on the head. Food is so central to my life that it eclipses all else and that will have to change and it is scary. But you are right I don't want to live like that anymore. Thank you.

I used to eat chocolate every single day. Now to satisfy my craving, I have Bariatric Pals Hot Cocoa. I also used to eat ice cream every day, and now I eat a Yasso Greek Yogurt bar. You will find different, healthier versions of what you are currently used of. That is how it worked for me. Good Luck

I feel the same way!!!! I have never had such nerves in my life!!! My stomach and my chest are aching with anxiety