Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

16 minutes ago, MariaC6 said:

I’m a little over 6 mos post op VSG. I’m now 5’8 and 173. I exercise with at least 40 minutes of cardio and 15 minutes of strength 6 times a week. My surgeon and Nutritionist calculated my BMR last week during my virtual appointment and told me that I should be consuming 1500 calories a day due to my activity level. If i didn’t exercise or had low exercise then my calorie intake would be 1100. Protein goal is still 90 grams a day and my Water is 65+ ounces a day. No mention of carbs or sugars, that’s not their focus.

I do use vital Proteins collagen peptides in my black coffee every morning and that gets me 9 grams of Protein and you can’t even tell it’s in there. A friend recommended collagen to help with bowels and yes it does make you very regular which is a great thing

Thank you for this great information!

600-800 calories. I’m approaching 3 months out. Some days I struggle and get 300, but my average is 600.

1 minute ago, ANewJourneyAwaits said:

600-800 calories. I’m approaching 3 months out. Some days I struggle and get 300, but my average is 600.

How are you getting your protien with 300 or 600 calories? Are you eating anything or only drinking protien shakes?

On 3/8/2021 at 10:49 PM, Tim C said:

How are you getting your protien with 300 or 600 calories? Are you eating anything or only drinking protien shakes?

On average I get about 600 calories or 700. So, that makes it a bit easier. I have a shake or a Protein Bar but I also drink milk and eat a lot of Protein (steak, fish, chicken, beef, eggs, etc.) first. If i am at 300, I can't make those protein goals. But those days are becoming less and less. Two days ago I was super hungry after working out and for the day was at 984 calories.

On 600-700, I make the protein goals. I find it harder to balance all the protein (72g) with 80oz of Water. That is my true struggle.

5 weeks post op and I'm around 600-700 per day. I have my food tracking app set to 800 with 70G Protein and I try to meet the protein goal and stay well below 800. Some foods I've given up eating because they provide no protein benefit whatsoever.

9 months post and I average 1000-1100 a day. I've been doing that since about 4 months post. At my 6 month surgeon visit I was told I should lower it to about 8-900. I didn't think that sounded healthy. But I admit my losses are very slow.

30 minutes ago, MaybeMeow2 said:

9 months post and I average 1000-1100 a day. I've been doing that since about 4 months post. At my 6 month surgeon visit I was told I should lower it to about 8-900. I didn't think that sounded healthy. But I admit my losses are very slow.

What was your surgery day weight? You are less than 20 LBs away from Goal! Congrats!

On 3/10/2021 at 9:45 PM, Tim C said:

What was your surgery day weight? You are less than 20 LBs away from Goal! Congrats!

I was 217 on day of surgery. I've lost 51 pounds. Specifically 17 pounds from my weight goal. 37 from the goal the surgeon's assistant said I should aim for. I just can't reconcile eating 800 calories a day as healthy. Regardless of surgery. So once I was able to eat 1000 that' what I aimed for. But again, I've been losing and gaining the same pound for 6 weeks now. 9.5 months post op. Hope this helps!

It's interesting that the responses are so varied. I know that I'm exceeding the caloric intake of my nutritionist; she said I should be eating 850-1000 calories per day right now. I'm at 1200-1500... but the weight is still coming off, albeit at an increasingly slower pace.

When I started this journey in June of 2019 I said I would be content if I could get down to 250 pounds. As the weight has come off, I set the goal lower at 225. I've just passed my original goal at roughly 8 months from surgery, and with any luck I'll hit 225 sometime this summer.

I figure that as long as I'm still losing, all is well.