Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day after

Can someone tell me how they felt the day after surgery? I will be in hospital one night and was wondering how you felt on the way home? Did anyone have terrible painful gas pains, if so when? I was at a support group a couple months ago and that topic was mentioned several times, one person said they had such severe gas pains in their shoulder and below, they thought they were having a heart attack. I go in on Wednesday and this has really been on my mind.

It was pretty painful, I'll admit. I took gas-x (chewable) and it helped with the belly pain. The shoulder pain does dissipate, but you have to walk, walk, walk. That said, everyone's level of pain tolerance is different. Some people might feel almost no pain at all, whereas others will hurt to hell and back. When I had my surgery, I took only gas-x and tylenol. I didn't need anything else.

If you have someone that will be with you, another thing that will really help with gas pain is having someone pat your back (kinda hard, too). Pretend you're being burped like a baby. It is a great feeling and it gets those gas pockets out quicker. Also, and I can't stress enough, WALK. Walking around, even just going around a room in circles, helps the gas go away. You've got this.

Take a deep breath, and good luck. ❤️

The shoulder pain isn't necessarily gas. Very often it is referred pain from having your diaphragm messed with, particularly if they fix a hiatal hernia.

I had a super easy surgery. Could have honestly done it outpatient if they'd let me. I had zero nausea and very little pain.

I was in the car for 3.5 hours the day after surgery...I don't remember much of it (I took a pain pill before we left), I wasn't happy to be in the car but I mostly slept. The worst was having to get out to use the bathroom...I looked like h*ll, and I'm sure people wondered what was up! But once we got home, I went to my own bed and slept, and felt MUCH better the next day.

Good luck!

I had almost no pain. The only thing I can remember is that if I was transitioning (e.g., going from lying down to sitting - or sitting to standing), my abs felt like I'd done 1000 crunches the night before. But otherwise, if I was just lying there....or sitting there....nada. I did have some gas pain once I got home, but mine wasn't too bad. They sent me home with pain meds, but I ended up not even opening them.

Had about a 45 min ride home. I was uncomfortable but not in a lot of pain. It wasn’t the most fun ride, but not bad. Mostly I felt bloated.

I had no pain after, not even gas. Because I can’t take opioids, they gave me a TAP block before I woke up. I think that was a big help.

My surgery is march 25 2021, i hadnt even thought of gas pain! Thank you for all the advice, I am adding chewable gasx to my shopping list. I am going today to stock up so I can quarantine from here on out. So excited and scared all at once!