Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol is a real transfer addiction

I share this story in hopes that it may help someone to never pick up a drink after weight loss surgery or to at least be hyper-vigilant about the dangers of drinking post weight loss surgery.

I was sleeved in August of 2015 @ 310 pounds. I Quickly lost most of the weight needed (lost over 100 pounds) and began running 5k. Not really setting the world on fire, but it was really good for me. I got down to a respectable 190 pounds.

Prior to surgery, I had always enjoyed drinking with friends. Typical guy stuff - couple beers @ a football game or watching the game on Sunday, meeting for drinks after work, etc. Never an issue or problem. Never anything that i had to have.

My doctor warned me against alcohol, sodas, and transfer addictions, but I thought "NEVER ME !". Wow, was I ever wrong. I remember the first couple times I had a beer after the surgery (I waited 6 months), it was very fizzy and uncomfortable. I convinced myself that it would get easier, and unfortunately it did. Next came the rum and coke zero. Wow, that tastes great, and I get a buzz very quickly.

That fast buzz turned into getting very drunk, very quickly. Our new bodies absorb the alcohol in 1/2 the time that a normal internal system would. Over the last couple yeaars there have been many episodes of drinking way to much, blacking out, and not remembering what happened. I have had to apologize for my behavior more than once after a night of drinking. I even started drinking every day. I would make a drink as soon as I got home each day. 1 turns into 2 or 3. Just like lays potato chips you can not have just 1. Alcohol consumed my every thought. When can I have a drink? How can I make sure I can get a drink? It amazed me how I was able to justify that if Creamer was good in my morning coffee, how great would Rumchatta be (it's damn good, by the way).

I am living proof that transfer addiction is a real thing. I am now in counseling for my alcohol addiction.

Transfer addiction is definitely a real thing. Prior to VSG surgery I was over 300 pounds because I had an addiction to food, and all the wrong kinds of food. My new addiction is alcohol and it's best friend is food addiction. what goes with beer = chicken wings, or nuts and pretzels, what goes with a margarita = tacos, etc.

Alcohol also makes it impossible to lose weight. So if you are really dedicated to clean eating but you drink, your weight may stay the same, but it surely will not go down. I have packed on 60 lbs of the 120 that I lost. And, I am slowly changing behaviors to get back to where I want to be.

Addiction is sacrificing everything for that one thing !
Recovery is sacrificing that 1 thing to have everything !

Thank you for this! I never thought about this - but now that I am thinking, I can see myself turning to a shopping addiction.

I hope that you will continue to get stronger and healthier!

Alcohol, shopping, gambling, drugs, promiscuous sex, even exercise.... food addiction is tough and sneaky and loves to change forms. One of the reasons, IMO, getting mental health support lined up before surgery is so important. Thank you for sharing. Best wishes to you.

Edited by Creekimp13

Thanks for sharing your story, and good for you for getting help. I've seen other WLS patients struggle with this as well, so you are not alone. I've never been a big drinker, and I haven't had any alcohol since my surgery. I don't plan on it anytime soon, but it's good to have a reminder to be careful.