Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frequent mild heartburn 15 days post-op

Hello everyone,

I had my surgery 15 days ago and the healing process has been going well until I’ve started having these episodes of heartburn about 4 days ago. On Monday of week 2 (this past Monday), my doctor said I could eat soft Proteins. I tried a few times through the week and they upset my stomach each time so I went back to full liquids on Thursday. Since then, I’ve been experiencing heartburn daily which only goes away for a few hours when I take a Pepcid tablet. I was also taking my Multivitamin and Calcium supplements in solid pill form while I wait for my dissolvable tablets to come in the mail. I asked if it was safe since they are somewhat large pills and my doctor said they were. However, I’m not planning on taking them tomorrow so I can try to figure out what is causing this heartburn. I spoke to a nurse (who I’d never spoken to before) at my doctor’s office who said heartburn is normal because I am still early in the healing process and to just keep taking my Pepcid. I am worried that she may have just wanted to get me off the phone and I’ll be calling again next week to reach someone who actually knows me.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Has anyone else experienced heartburn this soon after gastric bypass and did it ever go away? I’m scared I’ll have to take antacids permanently. I haven’t had any nausea or vomiting on full liquids and when I did try the soft proteins, they went down fine, I just didn’t feel too well after which is why I went back to liquids. These bouts of heartburn are my only issue at the moment.

ANY and all insight is appreciated!

I did have heartburn shortly after and it went away when I stopped taking the ppi and anti acids which could be coincidence or could be due to rebound effects? Not sure. It lasted about one month. Either way about 24-48 hours after I stopped taking them all has been perfect in the 7 months since. I never had heartburn before surgery (like never once) so I was very worried.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches