Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NO BM(poop) IN 6 Days!

I have been on Clear liquid for 6 days. I haven't pooped in 6 days which has been weird. I guess I just don't have anything to poop out yet. Any similar folks out there that can share? I would like to hear from you. Thanks

I like to call myself the poop queen. :) I wear my crown proudly, after a decade of diverticulitis and multiple bowel resections and now WLS.

After a liquid diet of truly Clear Liquids it is not uncommon to not have a bowel movement in that long. That being said, do you feel uncomfortable or is your stomach super hard or distended? Are you able to pass gas?

Once you start drinking full liquids and eating soft foods you will find yourself making stool.

True clear liquids are like a vacation for your bowels, once you can no longer see through the stuff you are drinking you will have waste.

Hope that answers your question, if not ask, my brain holds much knowledge of all things related to poop.

2 minutes ago, Betty1971 said:

I like to call myself the poop queen. :) I wear my crown proudly, after a decade of diverticulitis and multiple bowel resections and now WLS.

After a liquid diet of truly Clear Liquids it is not uncommon to not have a bowel movement in that long. That being said, do you feel uncomfortable or is your stomach super hard or distended? Are you able to pass gas?

Once you start drinking full liquids and eating soft foods you will find yourself making stool.

True clear liquids are like a vacation for your bowels, once you can no longer see through the stuff you are drinking you will have waste.

Hope that answers your question, if not ask, my brain holds much knowledge of all things related to poop.

Thanks for giving me the low down on POOP! I would think that you cannot make stool without food.Just wanted to ckeck ...Thanks for your solid answer!

that's pretty common. It seems to be about a week give or take for most of us. There's not much in there, so....

Hey Tim. This was a struggle for me after surgery, too. My first BM after surgery occurred after 10 days. Almost 6 months now, if I go once a week then it’s a win for me, but currently averaging 7-9 days between BMs.

I did not have a bowl movement for 14 days after surgery. My doctor said this sometimes happen with too much Protein. He had me drink prune juice starting at my 1 week check up. Half prune and half Water for 5 days. That did not work. Then he had me drink milk of magnesia and I took that for 2 days and finally I had a bowl movement. It was more the runs than anything. Afterwards, in my pureed stage he allowed oatmeal. I have oatmeal daily and think I'm regular now, but if I skip oatmeal one day, I am unable to have a bowl movement. So while on liquid stage they prune juice or milk of magnesia and then on your pureed stage find something to keep you regular.

Don’t forget you’re not consuming very many calories at the moment & your body is using most of them to function. Therefore your body won’t have a lot to excrete.

In saying that, it is important to work back towards healthy & regular bowel habits. I used to go every two days. If I got to a third day I would take a gentle stool softener so I would have some movement in day four.

Are you adding some soluble fibre to your shakes, broths etc.? Avoid those that swell in your tummy though.

Don’t force yourself to go. Stick to your old routine of when you used to go. Sometimes you just need to sit, relax & let gravity & nature do their thing.

Somedays I felt like my niece who had just gone through toilet training. I wondered if I needed a chart on my fridge & some gold stars. 😆

Happy pooping.

Yesterday at my 3-day post op check-in I hadn't pooped and the nurse suggested that I take a stool softener and milk of magnesia. I took the stool softener, but was too scared to drink the milk of magnesia (I've just barely been on the ok side of nausea) so I drank some Smooth Move tea instead. It got me moving!

I believe the significant information in his post was he has been on clear liquids since his surgery. When you are on a true liquid diet (when you can actually see thru the fluid) it does not produce waste (BM). That is the point of going from clear liquids to full liquids, full liquids (unable to see thru) will produce waste.

Everyones system is different as far as how long to go with out a poop but if you have bowl sounds and actively passing gas your system is good to go. Constipation is a bugger!!!!

Happy pooping :)

3 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

that's pretty common. It seems to be about a week give or take for most of us. There's not much in there, so....

We will be saving a lot of money on Toilet paper and groceries!

1 hour ago, Nicossa said:

Yesterday at my 3-day post op check-in I hadn't pooped and the nurse suggested that I take a stool softener and milk of magnesia. I took the stool softener, but was too scared to drink the milk of magnesia (I've just barely been on the ok side of nausea) so I drank some Smooth Move tea instead. It got me moving!

Thanks! I will pick up some Smooth Move!

8 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

Wow! Honestly I would be good with just going once every few days. I suspect that may not be the case for me but I lern something knew on here wveryday. Thanks for the scoop on poop!

On 2/27/2021 at 11:06 PM, Tim C said:

We will be saving a lot of money on Toilet paper and groceries!

You got that right Sister!

On 2/28/2021 at 8:00 AM, Tim C said:

I have been on Clear liquid for 6 days. I haven't pooped in 6 days which has been weird. I guess I just don't have anything to poop out yet. Any similar folks out there that can share? I would like to hear from you. Thanks

Ooooh I have such a good tale to tell.....I was really worried because it would be at least 6-7 days before I pooped a pebble sized nugget! Seriously. I am 8 weeks post op, and three days ago I started to poop good and proper. And I mean satisfying, every morning the same time. My dietician said it would kick back in, so yippee for me. Haha, I have a little surge of self pride when I'm done on the throne!