Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really Struggling - advice needed

Hello all,

I had VSG done on February 10th. I was so excited and ready. Since my surgery, I’ve been really struggling. My recovery is still going. Had a lot of pain but I’m back to somewhat myself. I ended up going to the ED last night for horrible palpitations. They believe caused by dehydration so I’m trying to focus so hard on fluids. I’m sucking at getting Protein in as the drinks make me gag now.

I broke out in hives today. No idea why. I’m just discouraged. I feel unhealthier than when I started this process. I’m depressed and miss being normal. Eating dinner with my family, cooking, ENJOYING my food, etc.

I know this isn’t going to be a breeze. I know it’s going to take hard work. But I’m sad and regretting this decision, and I’m stuck in a really yucky headspace.

Any advice is appreciated

It's actually pretty common after surgery to go through a period where you feel like "What have I done to myself!?!" The early days of recovery can be really tough. Like you, I had a lot of post-op pain and I struggled to hydrate (have you tried clear Protein Drinks - not shakes? They helped me a lot early on.)

I remember how awful I felt in the early days but fortunately it gets better pretty quickly. By week three I had no pain issues, I could sleep more comfortably, and I felt more myself. It's hard to say what might have given you hives - are you doing anything different? Using a new product? Taking a new kind of Vitamin? Or did the ER use something or give you something you may be allergic to? It may take a process of elimination to figure that one out.

As for generally feeling yucky, I promise it gets better. Hang in there! Hugs.🤗

After surgery I tried to drink a lot of protein20 so I got liquids at the same time as Protein. In the end my priority was liquid, not protein though. It does get better! I’m only 3.5 months out and I can say I am enjoying food, although not in the same unhealthy and addictive way I used to. Right now you’re in the worst part- all the physical downsides without having the weight loss upsides. The scales will go the other way soon, just hang in there!

I'll be six weeks out next Monday. The first few weeks do suck. I never got even close to my daily Protein and fluids for several weeks. I tried so many different things and just felt like nothing tasted good!! One way that I get about half of my daily protein is to make a smoothie for Breakfast. I mix 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries, a scoop of unflavored Protein Powder (I like the genepro), a couple of dollops of strawberry cheesecake greek yogurt, 2/3 cup of the fairlife milk and a little zero calorie sweetener. I have a Ninja blender and that really works great! f you can tolerate a smoothie at this point that might help with the protein and also add to your daily fluids! I also added the unflavored protein powder to things like broth, cream of chicken broth, no sugar added hot chocolate, Sugar Free Chocolate pudding, etc. I know Bone Broth has a good amount of protein if you like that. Not eating with your family is really hard. I just keep telling myself that this is not forever and things will be better soon!! Loosing my extra weight is motivation for me!!

The hives could be from stress to tell you the truth! My daughter gets hives when she is REALLY stressed. The dr told her to take pepcid. Works like a charm! Keep drinking what ever tastes good to u and know that things will turn around soon!!!

Oh, sugar free popsicles and no sugar added fudge bars are really good too!!! You can do this!!!!!

It will get better. ❤️ Hang in there.

I wasn’t able to get a lot of fluids down in the beginning too which made me dehydrated. So in turn I had to take small sips frequently instead. That and make sure I did bc I wasn’t peeing a lot which meant dehydration which isn’t good. Once I concentrated on small sips freq that helped. It will get better. There is a Clear Protien by Premier Protien. You can get hydrated at the same time as getting your Protien in. Keep your head up, it’ll get better.