Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve BMI 35

I am thinking about getting the sleeve done. I am 5'0 and weigh 180lbs. I have a issue with losing weight and gaining it all back plus more. I was wondering how many people have had the sleeve done at my size?

Hey!

Im about to have the sleeve done with a BMI of 35.4 (H: 161cm CW: 93kg)- there’s lots of others on here who have had the sleeve done at a similar BMI and had great success. Certainly my entire medical team (GP, surgeon, psychiatrist) were happy with my decision and they all believe it would be helpful for me in many ways.
Did you have any specific concerns or questions?

1 hour ago, healthy_steph said:

Hey!

Im about to have the sleeve done with a BMI of 35.4 (H: 161cm CW: 93kg)- there’s lots of others on here who have had the sleeve done at a similar BMI and had great success. Certainly my entire medical team (GP, surgeon, psychiatrist) were happy with my decision and they all believe it would be helpful for me in many ways.
Did you have any specific concerns or questions?

No, I have done lots of research so all my questions up to this point have been answered. I am just curious of how many people have had the surgery at a my BMI, weight and height and how successful it was for them.

Right now I am at BMI 37. After my pre op diet I think I will be around 35 BMI. Going in for my sleeve on April 5th.

Quite a few, actually! I am one of the many. And I had complete success and got down below my goal in 7 months. Best decision I ever made. I did have to be careful of one thing though... some docs don't care if you lose any weight pre-op... but for my doc is was mandatory. Loose some weight or you don't get surgery. Because I was a lower BMI I had to be careful that I lost weight, but didn't lost enough to put my under 35 BMI. That was challenging. The thing was... I knew that at times I was able to get my weight down... but no matter what I did it didn't stay off... so I was motivated to get the surgery so I did everything I could to lose weight... but not too much. I actually ate a LOT the week before 1st weigh in... and then I lost weight to get me to exactly a 35 bmi for surgery.

Edited by momof3_angels

My BMI was 36 and I am three weeks post op and also think I am taller than they measured me (posture just bad with heavier breasts) so I may have been 35 BMI. I wish I had done it sooner and just paid for it cause the younger you have it the less lose skin you will have.

What about getting approved?

I am at 36 and change. I am 5'4 and have no co-morbidities. I have 2 autoimmune diseases and have had 0 success with diets, "lifestyle changes" and so on. I even took weight loss meds that had me injecting myself. Obesity runs in my family and at this point, 8 family members, including my sister and niece have gotten the surgery. My grandmother's cause of death was obesity.

I went to an information session and they looked at me like I had 3 heads. Losing 80lbs at my age (43) and shotty joints is nearly impossible and I am having a hard time enjoying my life.

I see the GI doc soon, as I have bouts with Gallbladder issues and I am hoping this is the deciding factor.

What did you all have to do to be approved for this surgery? Any information would be helpful!

Thank you.

I haven't been approved yet but I am eligible due to sleep apnea. I'm 5'1 & 210- 37 BMI. Have you done a sleep study?

On 4/16/2021 at 12:43 PM, TwinMom2020 said:

I haven't been approved yet but I am eligible due to sleep apnea. I'm 5'1 & 210- 37 BMI. Have you done a sleep study?

I did a long time ago. I should maybe try again. This is so frustrating.

I am 9 days post sleeve op, I am 5"2 and weighed 178lb. I have already lost 12lb due to the post of liquid diet, ive had no complications so far and healed very well, my surgeon said I did not need to do the pre op diet due to my weight not being too high and I was very much encouraged to have the surgery done before gaining anymore weight (yoyo diets for years).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches